The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Littlefrill and the Mysterious Underground

Fyn16 · 5 · 1679

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
(As soon as I posted this I realized I got the thread title wrong. Whoops!)

Heyo all! The following piece is my submission for the January fanfiction prompt challenge. As I am one of the hosts for the event, I am not putting my piece up for a competitive rating. Rather, I am submitting it simply for the fun of it. I will probably be doing this for most, if not all of the prompts this year, as it pays off to keep writing. Plus it's fun!

As a reminder, the prompt this month was to use the phrase "as far as he was concerned, if his mom wanted to sleep in instead of her usual habit of waking at daybreak, that was fine with him."

Let's delve into the story of one of the TV series' unsung victims, shall we? (At least the poor guy made a good life for himself afterward!)

The Littlefrill and the Big Underground: A Parable

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I read the story and it was good I really enjoyed the the whole thing a lot. You did a great job writing it.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"Also, you're grounded to your nests for a week."

"Awww!"

What a perfect way to conclude such a cute tale. XD I love how you were able to weave a narrative around one of the television episodes and, not only that, but also to tie it to how the tales of the Gang of Five impact the future of the valley. I can certainly see how the gang's 'adventuring' could lead to the children deciding to follow suit. Especially if the tales of the gang's exploits are embellished by a certain threehorn...

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This was certainly a funny little story.  :yes It's always a good idea in a short story to fill some of the untold things from the franchise. To be honest, I had all but forgotten about the Great Hideous Beast (the episode is my second least favorite :p) but you managed to make a cute story about the rather forgettable character and for that, I must once again applaud to you. The start to the story was a solid one, paving way for the coming events. The retelling of the story itself was very funny, creating a whole new perspective into the episode.

The idea of how the myth of the Great Hideous Beast began is very clever and funny at the same time. The characters were good enough for this short story and the ending was sweet.  :) Good job with this short story!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, Fyn, that certainly is a far more original idea than mine will ever be :p

It seems to be your reputation to take established things and make something new out of them. This story is no different, honestly.

The plot seems pretty unspectacular at first. A family of weird looking ceratopsians (I'll completely agree with you that the species is more than... questionable) is pictured here. While the parents go off to gather food, the children may play, just not in the Bubbling Goo. The three children seem to have different personalities. The eldest is the most mature and responsible of the three, the middle child is described as rebellious (I can totally see a middle child having that sort of character) and the youngest being silly, carefree and adventurous.

Certainly a good setting for a short story, the characters just described as much as necessary for the story here. I certainly do wonder whether the story has anything in common with the episode of the tv-series (though I might possibly not recognise  the episode as such since I don't remember much of it right now, if anything :lol:)

Anyway, reading on...

(Ugh, stupid phone didn't save part of my review, I'll type the rest on my laptop now...)

Aaaaand this story proves again that children are stupid sometimes... adorable but stupid... Tumble you silly thing! :lol:

Well, the reactions of everybody involved were certainly far more reasonable than the act that caused them in the first place! Nipper did the most responsible thing and went to get help while Cetris didn't act according to her personality but tried to make Tumble stay where she is. ANd Tumble herself didn't understand the gravity of the situation, that's almost cute  :lol

Now that ought to get them into trouble though despite the happy ending? Though I suppose that's not quite the end of the story yet when I look at how much there's still left to explore :smile

A story as a punishment, lol! That's honestly funny ^^spike Though I suppose that the story is going to entail a lesson of sorts, let's dig into it!

Ah, and there's out tv-series reference :smile I'm quite amazed what you did with this (if I remember correctly, crappy episode), turning it into something interesting and giving that totally random character there a backstory. Kudos for that  :yes

And that ending so sweet, honestly :) I wonder how life for the Gang would be like in the Great Valley when they're the parents who have to keep their children together  :lol

In summary: Excellent story, can't wait for next month, yep, yep, yep!
Inactive, probably forever.