The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT roleplay in the style of the original movie?

Ducky123 · 399 · 51005

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think we need more sharpteeth for the story, or more adult characters maybe? So wish to see more people here! ^^

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: jorrdy12,Aug 28 2017 on  08:09 AM
Sounds really cool! Would it be possible for me to join too? From what i read so far it will be really interesting to see how this will go :)
I believe we are still in the sign-up phase, so if you're interested, welcome! I don't believe we've posted the rough storyline on the main page yet, but you can get a pretty good idea of what we're doing by flipping through the posts. Glad to see you're interested!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As I've already told you on Discord, you're welcome to join, jorrdy :)

If you think you can write a post regularly (you should be able to post within a couple days or a week at least so the RP doesn't lag...) feel free to come up with an interesting character... preferably leafeater since we've already got two bad guys :p

EDIT: and maybe we might decide to have an encounter or two with a random sharptooth inbetween, you could play them... just not sure if we really need another full-time Sharptooth on their heels but I'll let you players decide, not trying to be imposing here, haha :lol
Inactive, probably forever.

jorrdy12

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I think i would be able to post regularly, a question tho, is there a specific need for Leaf-eater? Like a Flyer, Threehorn, Longneck, Swimmer, Spiketail..etc?
The universe has a beginning, but no end. —Infinite.
The stars too have beginnings, but their power accompanies their decline.  —Finite.
It the wise who are the most foolish. History has taught us as much.
The fish of the sea know not the world of the land. Were they to possess wisdom, they too would experience decline.
It is more absurd that humans should surpass the speed of light than it is that fish should start living on the land.
- Steins;Gate (anime / visual novel)

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Quote from: jorrdy12,Aug 28 2017 on  12:29 PM
I think i would be able to post regularly, a question tho, is there a specific need for Leaf-eater? Like a Flyer, Threehorn, Longneck, Swimmer, Spiketail..etc?
I believe we don't have a leaf eater flyer yet.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Aug 28 2017 on  06:54 PM
we've already got two bad guys :p
ahem
reading some of "good" guys backstories and motives... Who are more "evil" there? XD
I mean, someone's thoughts can be more "evil" than sharpteeth's, who are natural hunters. :D
ok, I think our sharpteeth's characters are evil, since both has not just "natural hunting" desires in their minds. :[.

And guys, let's decide in what time period story takes place about original LBT movie.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
ahem
reading some of "good" guys backstories and motives... Who are more "evil" there? XD

Yep, we've got some pretty interesting characters here. The sharpteeth will have a lot to learn from us in terms of cruelty :lol

Also, I'm happy to see a new player! Are we now waiting for jorrdy to create a character or should we start to discuss the initial setting in more detail? :) Also, Snik, as Ducky said, it's quite reasonable for this to happen before the original film if the Sharptooth is still alive.  :p

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign,Aug 28 2017 on  09:57 PM
Also, Snik, as Ducky said, it's quite reasonable for this to happen before the original film if the Sharptooth is still alive.  :p
So, Sharptooth cameo is finally confirmed by Ducky? ^^ nOice!
And approximately how many years after/before events of LBT1?

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
There's nothing more I know about Ducky's thoughts than you do but there was this quote.

As for your question, I'm curious to see what everyone else is thinking. I was assuming it would happen (roughly) the same time as the original movie but with little to no overlap with the original story. If it was earlier, than we could even have a Sharptooth cameo, otherwise he'd probably be dead at the time.

He doesn't really confirm Sharptooth's inclusion but he simply seemed to suggest that it's possible if we choose to put the story before the original film. As for the exact time of the roleplay, I don't know. Perhaps 5 or 10 years before the movie?

jorrdy12

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkWolf91,Aug 28 2017 on  01:16 PM
Quote from: jorrdy12,Aug 28 2017 on  12:29 PM
I believe we don't have a leaf eater flyer yet.
Thanks! I might be able to fix that, meet Samara an 8 year old Pteranodon!

Name: Samara

Species: Pteranodon (Flyer)

Personality: Shy, quiet, afraid, loves to eat food (don't ask for her weight tho!)

Appearance:Blue body, with a darker blue underbelly, also rather small for her age making her look 5 years old.

Family: Everyone except her parents died during a sharpteeth attack and lost her remaining family members during an earthquake. Or did she?

Backstory, Samara was always a very outgoing. happy and brave flyer, this changed however when her family was attacked by sharpteeth, she turned shy, quiet and afraid during this traumatic experience. Sometimes when she's particularly angry, or happy you can find traces of her old personality. Yet still a couple years after the traumatic experience of having her family killed, she remains her traumatic fear of being even near the ground, thus choosing to stay mostly up in very high trees.
The universe has a beginning, but no end. —Infinite.
The stars too have beginnings, but their power accompanies their decline.  —Finite.
It the wise who are the most foolish. History has taught us as much.
The fish of the sea know not the world of the land. Were they to possess wisdom, they too would experience decline.
It is more absurd that humans should surpass the speed of light than it is that fish should start living on the land.
- Steins;Gate (anime / visual novel)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
He doesn't really confirm Sharptooth's inclusion but he simply seemed to suggest that it's possible if we choose to put the story before the original film. As for the exact time of the roleplay, I don't know. Perhaps 5 or 10 years before the movie?
Exactly... I'm open to anything. However, I'm not sure if the drought was already in place like... 5-10 years ago. I mean, I'm currently writing a story about the first film and there I've pictured the drought to have gradually worsened within a couple years, being the worst during the time the original movie takes place...

jorrdy, nice character, I will add her to the list in the first post, yep yep yep :)

---

Well guys, now we've slowly but certainly got to think of some details. Maybe even try to make a sort of map so we know where everybody resides at the time the roleplay starts... and, how do we want to start it? What kind of scene could it be? If it was a fanfiction, I would probably consider starting right into the action to introduce the reader and then go back in time a bit :yes

(so that means the first scene would be the moment all characters have united an then we all gradually write our indovidual stories until they meet :) )

It's just a thought though, really :p

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, the hardest part of any roleplay is definitely the start. The way I see it, we could do this one of two ways:

1. Start the story from the meeting point, and then work out characters' backgrounds through flashbacks, character development, and character interactions. As an example, let's say a group of three characters had already been traveling together for a while, and then run into the rest of the characters. In this case, the RP begins at that meeting point, and then we find out as they group up and travel together how the original group came together, what the others were doing before they met, etc. Essentially we choose a point somewhere in the middle of these characters' timelines and start there.

2. We introduce our characters individually through a brief writing piece for each one explaining where they are now at the start of the story. We then choose some focal characters and add the rest of the characters in as they appear in the story. The upside to this is that it's easier to start, but the downfalls are just as numerous. Some players won't be able to post right off the bat, and the focal characters will have to make quite a few posts in the early stages of the RP. That being said, if the non-focal characters can come up with  a storyline to take place while the others are making their journey (one which then converges with the main party when those characters meet) then I feel they could probably tailor their posts around said storyline until, once more, they become a part of the focal group.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'd say we go with the first option as it is the best way to draw everyone (expect Hypnobrai and Snik) into the story quickly, giving us the chance to really get a hold of our characters. However, that kind of opening deserves a good explanation already why those few groups of twos or threes are already together. This idea seems pretty Mender's Tale-like and I feel it holds a lot of promise here as well. The first scene should hold something that touches as many players as possible while also pushing events to a good start.

Is the drought a thing here as well? We are a long way away from the location of the Gang's adventure. :unsure:

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
well, if you ask me, I see intro as set of segments-flashbacks of main character, their important moments in their life, as good as well as saddest. (reading profiles - saddest. :[)

hmm, I don't think story should start from our sharpteeth characters chasing protagonists.
(note to myself: lol, and it is YOU who says this?????)

About map of locations... Well, we definitely should have land near the coast of Big Water, some canyon with river... Wait, the main question is: what is our FINAL location?..

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah, there's the experience of a writer apparent in Fyn once again  ^^spike Really helpful to come up with these two scenarios, I thinkk we can go from there, wouldn't know what other options there might be (aside from minor details)

Is the drought a thing here as well? We are a long way away from the location of the Gang's adventure. unsure.gif
I always thought of it as a pretty global event. Either way, it would be too easy if there are treestars around the corner everywhere. Maybe there could be some food near the coast or around rivers but very dry further inland I'd imagine... but that's just me :p

About map of locations... Well, we definitely should have land near the coast of Big Water, some canyon with river... Wait, the main question is: what is our FINAL location?..
I seem to recall one of us once mentioning something in an earlier message but I forgot what it was, honestly. I think we had already agreed on heading north towards colder lands but not on a specific location or if there even should be one at all. (In all honesty, we didn't precisely say this has to have a good ending yet, hahaha  :smile ) So uhh... thoughts, ideas? Unlike the Great Valley, our myth to follow could turn out to be false  :unsure:

EDIT: Oh, and I think I would approve of version 1, although I'm not quite sure how to implement the scenes from the past, especially those concerning how they all meet.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, one thing I think most (if not all) of our characters have in common is a lack of parents. So, perhaps that makes their end goal different. After all, Littlefoot and the Gang went to the Valley in the first place to meet up with their families again. With no families to turn to, our motivations would be different. I would imagine that, as more and more herds press inland, feeding grounds would become scarcer, and largely controlled by "strong" herds. Bearing this in mind, the concentration of Sharpteeth in these areas would be downright terrifying, reason enough for a group of young dinosaurs to make like a tree and leave.

So if we roll with this, now we have a reason for leaving, but we also have fugitives without a cause. How do we solve this? One of two ways. We could drop hints about a promised land, a la Great Valley, or we could focus this story around the journey, rather than the destination. Think of it this way- what's the most important thing these dinosaurs need now more than ever? Family. At the end of the day, I think they'd rather have someone to regard as family than a veritable paradise. With that in mind, I propose that our "journey" here is a mental one rather than a physical one with a set destination in mind. Basically, this means they can settle in whatever feeding ground seems best (this makes the northern journey idea work, as no adult coastal dinosaur in its right mind would actually want to go where it's cold). It doesn't have to be a paradise, it doesn't have to be a legend, it only has to provide refuge for a gaggle of kids who eventually come to organize their own "family" among themselves. Personally I envisioned a setting similar to Yellowstone, but that's certainly not a requirement. We're all flexible.

Bearing that in mind, I'll summarize the advantages taking a journey narrative over a destination narrative would provide:
-It's better suited for an RP. Story is told in small chunks rather than a large, overarching plotline, so it's more similar in style to a TV series than a movie, as an example.
-Our destination can be anywhere, as long as the characters find it comfortable to settle down. There's even room to adopt a "destination" narrative later on if the characters pick up hints of something legendary (like the Great Valley) down the road.
-There's incredible room for character development and subplots. There's nothing crazy going on here, no large, herd-threatening catastrophes, just kids trying to survive the odds. We have a chance to tell a very personal tale here, and I think it gives us the chance to provide significantly more depth than most RPs provide.

Anyway, just my two cents!

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I've also been throwing a mental storyboard of sorts for a "trailer" for the RP, based on this song. It just seems to fit the mood of this potential story so we'll, conveying moments of friendship, loss, and wonder.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not really sure what to say... there's not a single fault in your line of thinking as far as I can tell and it is a line of thinking I would not have thought of at all  :angel

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What you're saying makes sense, Fyn, but there could also be some advantages in having some kind of  clear destination. Without a permanent motivator for the characters, things could become directionless and disorderly if we're not careful. However, as you said, many of our characters don't have a family to return to so that brings a problem to this approach.  We don't have to have a destination right away but sooner or later, the characters will have to learn to work together (more or less) which necessitates a clear goal, no matter how elusive it is. However, the initial conflicts inside our gang should spark enough interest at first so we shouldn't hurry with trying to build an early dominating storyline. The characters deserve to be fleshed out before anything else happens.

Because of the fact that some of our characters distrust each others' kinds, the motive should be universal and not bounded by the dinosaurs' traditions. Perhaps stories concerning some stellar phenomena or search for some kind of knowledge could work? :unsure: Anyway, all of this can certainly take a backseat in the roleplay but I'd say it could serve as a backburner for long-term developments as the undead long did in Game of Thrones.

I always thought of it as a pretty global event. Either way, it would be too easy if there are treestars around the corner everywhere.

There certainly won't be if we go all the way to tundra regions. Of course, we could stay nearer the original setting in which case we could use the drought as an explanation for the hardships.  :p I'm open to both possibilities.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign,Sep 1 2017 on  02:02 PM
What you're saying makes sense, Fyn, but there could also be some advantages in having some kind of  clear destination. Without a permanent motivator for the characters, things could become directionless and disorderly if we're not careful. However, as you said, many of our characters don't have a family to return to so that brings a problem to this approach.  We don't have to have a destination right away but sooner or later, the characters will have to learn to work together (more or less) which necessitates a clear goal, no matter how elusive it is. However, the initial conflicts inside our gang should spark enough interest at first so we shouldn't hurry with trying to build an early dominating storyline. The characters deserve to be fleshed out before anything else happens.

Because of the fact that some of our characters distrust each others' kinds, the motive should be universal and not bounded by the dinosaurs' traditions. Perhaps stories concerning some stellar phenomena or search for some kind of knowledge could work? :unsure: Anyway, all of this can certainly take a backseat in the roleplay but I'd say it could serve as a backburner for long-term developments as the undead long did in Game of Thrones.
Excellent points, and I do agree- we will eventually need to establish a destination. Though what a sort of destination in the North might look like is up for interpretation. Perhaps a thermally-heated tundra? In keeping with the Yellowstone vision, it would provide a comfortable place for our herbivores through the harsh winters.

That being said, I also agree that it makes more sense to pursue this goal in the latter half of the story. As you said, our starting group cohesion will be laughably bad at best, and the real first journey will be overcoming those personal barriers, likely through the characters being forced to work together in the face of threats like Sharpteeth and whatnot.