The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Apollo 11 moon landing

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
In case if you didn't know, today is the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing. It's amazing to think that within a single decade, we went from sending the first human into space to sending the first human to walk on the Moon. I'll be spending most of the day watching the History channel, since just about every show on that channel today is related to the Apollo Program.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is pretty amazing thinking about it and certain accomplishments.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's an amazing thing that humankind was able to accomplish back then.

You know what bugs me about this whole thing though?  It's how some people say it was a complete scam.  Something only claimed to have happened.  That's it's complete fake.  They even have the nerve to CREATE proof of it and pass it off as truth.

I hate those kinds of people.  What would make them think in the first place that it never happened?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Considering the proof of which the conspiracy theorist can hardly be unaware of my guess that certain people want to have "their" part in the glory by denying the moon landing. It is kind of similar to certain people vandalizing artwork or torching down wonders of the world (the Artemis Temple in Epesos was burned by someone whose only purpose was that his name should always be remembered; which is why for once I take great delight in the fact that I couldn't tell the name without looking it up;)) in the hope of becoming famous for that.
The Soviet Union had the technology that would have allowed them to tell if the original moon-landing was a fake and I daresay they did not feel so committed to JFK's prediction as to keep mum if the had had the tiniest reason to believe that anything was not true about it. The least contestable proof is the "mirror" that was placed on the moon by a later apollo mission which reflects laser beams shot at it.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
On a second note I just want to point out that sometimes conspiracy theories do have some substance and sometimes it is worth asking if we are really being told the truth about important matters (e.g. WMDs), but one must always remain objective and not deliberatly "try" to be convinced of anything just because one prefers a certain view.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
If the mythbusters say it happened, I believe it! :lol   But in reality I've always known it happened for the very reason Malte gave, the USSR didn't come out and say it was all BS.  They would have had everything to gain for calling a bluff that big and they didn't, and the only reason for that would have to be that they didn't have any reason to doubt it.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 40 years, wow that's a long time, we need something like this event to happen again and more often, because it is just awesome when humanity just get on it's senses for a change.