The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Supposed Superpowers of Original Sharptooth

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Compared to the sharpteeth in the sequels, the Original Sharptooth that made to seem more like a real villain seems to have superpowers.  So, let's list the powers he probably holds and talk about them.

#1. Super Jumping.

He does this 3 times in the movie.  3 times!  First was the long jump to catch up to Littlefoot and Cera.  Second one was when he jumped and landed on top of Littlefoot's Mother, and finally, he uses it again in the final fight when the kids are trying to drown him with a giant rock.  Seriously, a T-rex can't jump as high as he did.  This has just GOT to be a superpower.

#2. Skeletal Invulnerability

He not only survives a long fall, but ends up with nothing broken.  No way that can happen without your bones being invulnerable.

#3. Teleportation.

He disappears completely from the screen in a split-second while Ducky tries to lure him.  There's no way you can make a body of such size disappear so fast without some superpower.

Maybe I'm missing a few, but let's face it!  This guy has superpowers.  In my eyes, it's really not fair to call the ones in the sequels wimps when you compare them to this guy.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I guess we could also talk about the superpowers of most characters in the movies for dinosaurs couldn't talk (after all I think I read about a concept without any talking characters) :rolleyes:
My point is that they just did make some things happen to make the movie more exciting and sharptooth more threatening, but I seriously doubt they meant to imply any official superpowers.
Such powers by the way would also be shared by some of the other sharpteeth. We see the LBT 5 sharptooth taking a big leap, we see one LBT 6 sharptooth surviving a fall that might be even higher than that of the original sharptooth, and we have cases of later movie sharpteeth biting through rocks I think. My point is that there are exaggerated scenes and sometimes plotholes, but I don't see them as warranties to apply any officially magic superpower interpretations.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To be honest, I seriously doubt Sharptooth has any superpowers whatsoever. If he had superpowers, than that means magic exists in LBT and I think it was already made clear that there is no magic in LBT. They simply added those "superpower" scenes to make the Sharptooth scenes more dramatic, not to bestow any hint of magic on him.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If one assumes some characters do have super powers, it could be an interesting line of fan fiction or rp thread.  Some chars did seem to exhibit super powers.

Rocky

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jul 7 2010 on  11:27 AM
Compared to the sharpteeth in the sequels, the Original Sharptooth that made to seem more like a real villain seems to have superpowers.  So, let's list the powers he probably holds and talk about them.

#1. Super Jumping.

He does this 3 times in the movie.  3 times!  First was the long jump to catch up to Littlefoot and Cera.  Second one was when he jumped and landed on top of Littlefoot's Mother, and finally, he uses it again in the final fight when the kids are trying to drown him with a giant rock.  Seriously, a T-rex can't jump as high as he did.  This has just GOT to be a superpower.

He not only survives a long fall, but ends up with nothing broken.  No way that can happen without your bones being invulnerable.

#3. Teleportation.

He disappears completely from the screen in a split-second while Ducky tries to lure him.  There's no way you can make a body of such size disappear so fast without some superpower.

Maybe I'm missing a few, but let's face it!  This guy has superpowers.  In my eyes, it's really not fair to call the ones in the sequels wimps when you compare them to this guy.
1# simple answer, it was a mater of perspective. this being it only looked like a big leap, same with the attack on little foot's mother.  third I believe can be added to a possible adrenaline rush.

2# Another simple answer, he obviously landed on some ledges on the way down that broke his fall.

3#The most logical answer was the location. They were in a cave, one that without a doubt had tunnels in it, one could say sharp tooth merely ducked into one such tunnel and came out behind ducky.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
To add to the ledges theory, the landscape was shifting around when Sharptooth fell; he could have landed on a ledge and knocked himself unconcious, and then as the land shifted due to the earthquake, the ledge he was on was lowered.

In fact, he, Littlefoot and Cera were all on the side of the divide that collapsed downwards in several chunks, while the earth on the other side was raised. He could have been lying on one of these large chunks, or a ledge off one of them.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ That doesn't explain how the Allosaurus in LBT VI survived his fall, though. I don't know if it was longer than Sharptooth's (I always thought that HIS drop looked longer :huh:), but you would definitely expect it to be fatal.

Quote from: Rocky,Aug 12 2010 on  02:51 AM
1# simple answer, it was a mater of perspective. this being it only looked like a big leap, same with the attack on little foot's mother. third I believe can be added to a possible adrenaline rush.
That's a good thought, but don't forget that also, during the final confrontation, he jumps to the top of the cliff that the gang is on. And even if his pounce onto Littlefoot's mother was a perspective shot, realistically there's no way that a dinosaur of that size could jump that far or that high, adrenaline rush or not.

Still, I don't think Sharptooth has superpowers. I agree that the best explanation is that the filmmakers made him extraordinarily tough and powerful as a (very successful) means of making him more terrifying and dramatic. You could say that it's not Sharptooth who's superpowered compared to other sharpteeth, but the sharpteeth in later films who are underpowered and weak (Though I'm sure Malte could have told you that :p).

By the way, I think this is the older thread on this topic DarkHououmon was thinking of.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rocky,Aug 12 2010 on  01:51 AM
Compared to the sharpteeth in the sequels, the Original Sharptooth that made to seem more like a real villain seems to have superpowers.  So, let's list the powers he probably holds and talk about them.

#1. Super Jumping.

He does this 3 times in the movie.  3 times!  First was the long jump to catch up to Littlefoot and Cera.  Second one was when he jumped and landed on top of Littlefoot's Mother, and finally, he uses it again in the final fight when the kids are trying to drown him with a giant rock.  Seriously, a T-rex can't jump as high as he did.  This has just GOT to be a superpower.

He not only survives a long fall, but ends up with nothing broken.  No way that can happen without your bones being invulnerable.

#3. Teleportation.

He disappears completely from the screen in a split-second while Ducky tries to lure him.  There's no way you can make a body of such size disappear so fast without some superpower.

Maybe I'm missing a few, but let's face it!  This guy has superpowers.  In my eyes, it's really not fair to call the ones in the sequels wimps when you compare them to this guy.
1# simple answer, it was a mater of perspective. this being it only looked like a big leap, same with the attack on little foot's mother.  third I believe can be added to a possible adrenaline rush.

2# Another simple answer, he obviously landed on some ledges on the way down that broke his fall.

3#The most logical answer was the location. They were in a cave, one that without a doubt had tunnels in it, one could say sharp tooth merely ducked into one such tunnel and came out behind ducky.
#1: As Pangaea said, even an adrenaline rush would not explain how he jumped so high, straight up, on top of the rock of the cliff where Littlefoot and Spike are.

#2: I'm sorry, but extra ledges would only make his injuries even more severe.  More than likely causing excessive bleeding to a point where he would more than likely be dead by the time Cera found him, and that is at the very least of possible injuries to be gained from it if it were the case.

#3: I suggest you watch the scene again.  Even with tunnels, it doesn't add up.

Sorry, but it just doesn't add up.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
#3: I suggest you watch the scene again. Even with tunnels, it doesn't add up.
Did you ever think that there were multiple entrances to the cave? The sharptooth could have very well exited the cave through one tunnel to sneak up on Ducky.

I never thought that the sharptooth had any supernatural qualities and i still don't.

He not only survives a long fall, but ends up with nothing broken. No way that can happen without your bones being invulnerable.
Wouldn't Littlefoot have this as well then? Look at the scene where he uses himself as a bridge for Spike to cross. It looks like it would break Littlefoot's spine, but he remains intact, does this mean Littlefoot has superpowers as well?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Even if Sharptooth had hit a ledge (whether such an impact would be fatal or not), the distance he fell before he disappeared from sight was more than enough to realistically kill him. (I don’t know how this might have affected the outcome of his fall, but he was also struck by a large boulder on the way down, which caused him to change position mid-fall).

In real life, it’s believed that Tyrannosaurus rex was so large that even simply falling over could have been dangerous for it. It’s been estimated that a full-grown T. rex that tripped while running 40 miles an hour (a speed it may not have even been physically capable of), the resulting impact would have cracked its skull, broken its neck, and crushed its internal organs. By that measure, every sharptooth in LBT has been put through far worse than what a real T. rex could survive. :blink:

As for the scene in the cave, it’s possible that Ducky remained hidden behind that rock longer than was shown (i.e., after she screamed to get Sharptooth’s attention and crouched down to hide, the film cut directly to the shot of her cautiously looking over the rock, which actually occurred several seconds later). It might not seem like a good idea to curl up behind a relatively obvious hiding place for any length of time, with your eyes closed so that you can’t see the huge, dangerous creature you’re trying to entice to come to you. However, it was a natural reaction given to how terrified Ducky clearly was at that time, and if Sharptooth had simply turned around and starting walking towards her, one would expect that the you would expect that the increasing sound and vibrations of his footfalls would have been enough to warn Ducky that he was coming. She wasn’t expecting him to first go farther away from her, and then take another route back towards the cave entrance. (She wasn’t alerted by any sounds of Sharptooth approaching from behind, though; apparently he can be quiet when he wants to.)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^Ah yes, another factor that just SUPPORTS the Superpowers Theory.  A body that size cannot be silent, period!

I know he's only meant to be seen as a threat and all, but these abnormalities just CAN'T be ignored.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Large size doesn't necessarily preclude the ability to move quietly. It certainly doesn't require superpowers. :rolleyes Sharptooth would just need to move more carefully. And it didn't hurt that Ducky's attention was focused on the deeper parts of the cave (where she had last seen Sharptooth) and she didn't expect him to come up behind her. Besides, how many times has an enormous sharptooth walked up right behind a LBT character without them noticing?

The elasticity of the laws of physics in movies (especially animated ones) should be common knowledge, and Sharptooth is hardly the only character in LBT who displays unusual abilities. Littlefoot's mother survives having the full weight of Sharptooth land on her back (which is clearly not broken by it), and despite him tearing viciously at her back with his jaws, her speed and fighting ability is hardly compromised, if at all (She can even run afterwards; something real longnecks almost certainly couldn't do). Spike doubles or triples his size within a minute of hatching (though this can be argued to simply be a scaling inconsistency in the animation). A herd of Diplodocus charge headlong through a stone wall down a steep hill, and none of them so much as stumble. Ducky, Spike, and Littlefoot survive being inches above a stream of molten lava (Try sitting that close to a fire; then consider that the lava is probably much hotter!). And don't get me started on the other movies.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
While it is a rather common thing to exaggerate stuff like all the examples which have been given here for the sake of effect it doesn't sound like some would be satisfied with an answer referring to the needs of movie-making rather than story content. If those needs are ignored and if we assume the world of LBT to be the "real world" (in spite of the opening of "once upon this same earth... it still seems like a rather different place to me) then one might come up with the explanation of "superpowers". But are "superpowers" a more "realistic" explanation from the point of view of the movie characters than anything that mentions the need of film-making and story telling? I think not. The cat is chasing the own tail here. Of course the sharptooth's actions were spectacular and not exactly realistic. But how high a standard of real life realism do you want to apply to a movie about talking dinosaur kids? I think the setting of LBT would be very much disrupted by any of the "superpower" theories being confirmed :rolleyes

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Aug 13 2010 on  01:51 AM
^^Ah yes, another factor that just SUPPORTS the Superpowers Theory.  A body that size cannot be silent, period!

I know he's only meant to be seen as a threat and all, but these abnormalities just CAN'T be ignored.
Actually it does not support superpowers. Sorry, Pokeplayer, but I'll never believe Sharptooth ever had any supernatural powers. As already explained, he was portrayed the way he was to make him more threatening, not to showcase that he is, somehow, magical.

Also I do believe it is possible for something that big to move quietly. All Sharptooth would have to do is lightly touch the ground. This is very well possible for him to do while moving pretty quickly. With each step, he just needed to touch it lightly rather than slam his foot down.

Considering Sharptooth is a hunter, he would want to be quiet and try to ambush his prey, so he would know how to be quiet when he needed to be. If Sharptooth was never quiet, he never would have tried to go after Littlefoot and his friends to begin with because they would always get away from him. The only way Sharptooth would continue to pursue them was if he believed that he would take them by surprise.

This is how predators in nature work. They use surprise, sneaking up on their prey or waiting for their prey to get close enough. Since when was the last time you saw a predator immediately give chase to a herbivore before trying to get close enough without being seen? Hence why silence is important among most, if not all, predators. Sharptooth, who apparently hunts as we see evidenced by the movie, would need the ability to be quiet to be an effective hunter. If he did not have the ability to be quiet and can never sneak up on prey, then he would have to be a scavenger, but again the movie does give evidence that he does hunt.

So Sharptooth does need the ability to be quiet. And he most certainly doesn't need superpowers to be quiet.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Given everything seen here, the Original Tyrannosaurus probably did have "super powers", but only in the sense that it was given abilities that were simply greater than what a normal predator would have by augmenting what it could already do, not by giving it totally different abilities, like flight.

I have good reason to believe that even if it could survive a fall as it did, it would certainly be crippled, not just knocked out.

Yes, maybe it could have been relatively quiet, but I don't think that is what the big complaints are about. Mostly, it has to do with super-strength and an abnormal ability to jump. Pangaea is right on the money in this one.

EDIT: To be totally fair, many of the characters have super powers as well, given how they survive all sorts of abuses and pull off all sorts of feats. But then again, it is a children's movie; the laws of physics are bent repeatedly. It really isn't such a big deal.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Superpowers or not Sharptooth is one amazing villian.

When you think about it actually gets (for me) more difficult to explain. I mean, many large meat eating dinosaurs did have much larger legs with probably more muscles to help with their abilty to track down and kill larger prey. Maybe by jumping, or by running. And I seriously doubt that their arms would be of much help, so they probably used their legs much more, so they would have to be fairly big to help the dinosaur survive. That could help with the jumping theory but the T-Rex was probably one of the biggest of the carnivores at the time so it probably would have a hard time supporting it's body mass which was probably massive (no pun intended) while jumping.

And for teleportation, your right, caves don't add up. For the fight between sharptooth and Littlefoot's mother if you think about it, there were no caves. Just wide open spaces. And if you think about it Most of the villians in LBT do seem to have teleportation powers. (i.e. Ozzy and Strut in number 2) to get from place to place.

And for the skeletal idea. It does seem logical but the T-Rexes skull was harder than metal, and maybe the rest of it's skeleton was too. Also, it might not've been that long a drop. If you think about it, When Cera was trying to find a way to climb up the canyon in the first movie and she slid down, it doesn't look that far to go. And sharptooth was MUCH bigger than Cera was. If he has superpowers that's for you to decide, but for me, looking at the facts, I just don't buy it. But hey, I'm not a paleo-nut, what do I know about dinosaur anatomy? Oh well, like I said before, it's up to you to decide wether or not the best villian in the series has superpowers.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile

#1. Super Jumping.

#3. Teleportation.

Not Plated Sharptooth.  He almost seems to be a huger clone of the original.

He is malicious, even attacking other Sharpteeth.   He can jump huge distances too.

Personally, I think had Papa Sharptooth not been there, Mama Sharptooth would have gone the same was as Mama Longneck.  Plated Sharptooth strikes her and cuts her open.  Papa Sharptooth has to fight Plated Sharptooth to save his family.  

Also, he has this "I"m not going down alone!" attitude when knocked into water as did the original Sharptooth.  

Whereas Sharptooth tried to take Petrie with him, Plated Sharptooth tried to take Chomper with him.

Both of these villains presumably drowned.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jul 7 2010 on  12:58 PM
To be honest, I seriously doubt Sharptooth has any superpowers whatsoever. If he had superpowers, than that means magic exists in LBT and I think it was already made clear that there is no magic in LBT. They simply added those "superpower" scenes to make the Sharptooth scenes more dramatic, not to bestow any hint of magic on him.
Don't throw out the supernatural in LBT.  There is Mama Longneck and her post mortem appearances.

Also, let's not forget the alien Rainbow Faces either.