The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

2017 Solar Eclipse

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Tomorrow will be the day of the total solar eclipse that will pass across the United States from coast to coast.

If you're wondering how much of the eclipse you'll be able to see from where you are, I found a neat little interactive:
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017...interactive-map
Just enter your zip code and it'll tell you the exact minutes of when you'll be able to see the different parts of the eclipse from your location.

(Probably should've thought to start this topic a few days earlier to give people a chance to try out that interactive. Oh well.)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

LandBeforeTimeFan2017

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Aug 20 2017 on  07:05 PM
Tomorrow will be the day of the total solar eclipse that will pass across the United States from coast to coast.

If you're wondering how much of the eclipse you'll be able to see from where you are, I found a neat little interactive:
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017...interactive-map
Just enter your zip code and it'll tell you the exact minutes of when you'll be able to see the different parts of the eclipse from your location.

(Probably should've thought to start this topic a few days earlier to give people a chance to try out that interactive. Oh well.)
Sounds extrodinary.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Course I don't have the glasses. Oh well. I think where I am in Canada we're only getting about 50% of it anyway.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will be at the Blue Sky winery in Carterville for the eclipse so I will have two and a half minutes of totality.  As a science nut I am quite excited for the event.  :) The last total eclipse in the continental US was in 1979 so I am not taking this opportunity for granted.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Here's a photo I took with my phone. Not the best photo, but still pretty cool in my opinion.

Edit: replaced with more focused picture.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
fun fact: each damn eclipse day I want to see... Sky above my city is filled with DAMN ENDLESS CLOUDS.
Even in days when eclipse is not under continent I live on. *shrugs*

I observed only one small eclipse in my life. Without huge "right" protection. *man who looked at sun in afternoon almost every day for first 10 years of life. Surprisingly, without any bad affect*

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I slept through it :( Hopefully I'll get to see the one in 2024

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just got back from the festivities at the Blue Sky Winery and I must say that the total solar eclipse did not disappoint.  :)

The social experience was almost as amazing as the astronomical one.  There were people from Canada, Brazil, Poland, Japan, and numerous other nations, as well as from all parts of the United States.  Everyone was good-natured and in happy spirits during the event, and one incident in particular highlighted the general mood. I was in a 20 minute conversation in the fish vendor line (because what would be such an occasion without fried food  :p) talking to several people in line from New Orleans, Los Angeles, Poland, and Switzerland.  The guy from Switzerland was a blast.  Upon seeing the New Orleans guy, who had the shirt from his alma mater (as we found out later), he said something in French (which the guy didn't know).  He then tried again in German with the same result.  And then Italian, which the other guy knew a little of.  Then the Swiss guy spoke in fluent English and said "I was messing with you. It's good to see another alumni here."

As for the eclipse itself, when it got to 90% totality things began to get weird in a way that is hard to describe unless one has personally experienced it.  The sky darkened to a far higher degree than the ground, and planets and sky features became visible that are never visible during the day. Moths came out and vultures began to land.  Then the temperature declined noticeably.  Finally, once totality hit, the corona of the sun was fully visible, casting the black void in the sky with an otherworldly haze, like a black ball shooting muted fire in all directions against a premature night sky.  It was incredibly off-putting in an amazing way.  I can totally understand why early humans would think the world was ending during such an event.  It makes every one of your instincts tell you that "this is very, very wrong."

So overall my sister and I had a blast during this eclipse, and I look forward to attending the one in 2024 as well, which will also pass through Makanda, Illinois.  :yes

Crowds at the event

The main building:

An example of the winery's wares:

A sculpture to represent the point of maximum eclipse duration:

The eclipse (corona over-saturates the image):

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well now that I'm back from viewing the eclipse I'll share my side as well. I drove down to Idaho Falls to view the eclipse (since it's closest from Alberta). We stayed at a person's house through Airbnb and she told us of this spot on the foothills which gives a pretty impressive view for the event.

We were able to get a good spot near the edge of the hill where it wasn't very crowded. As rhombus mentioned, it isn't until about 90% when things start to noticeably change.

Everything starts getting dark but the Sun still remains extremely bright, at least for the naked eye. From about 95% to 99% I felt is where most of the change occurs where the sky and ground darken fast as well as the appearance of a sunset but across the whole horizon. This next picture was taken with the smallest amount of Sun still visible.

The last bit leading up to the event was met with an increasing chatter as everyone got excited over how crazy the sky was darkening, followed by cheers when totality hit. It's way more ominous in person and looks a lot larger than I imagined. The corona is a lot bigger then what pictures I've seen led me to believe. Here's what I managed to take with my phone.

This was an amazing event and I'm glad I took the two day trip down to witness it. Here is the path of the 2024 eclipse for those who don't know (though there is also one in 2020 but it'll be only seen in Chile and Argentina.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I was in North Carolina near the shore so I didn't get to see totality. However, I do have some pictures that I took with my cellphone protected by welding glass.

But it got to approximately 90+% totality and the experience was quite something. The whole area darkened but not in the way that a cloudy day or sunset does. The only way to describe it is that it looks like something that a Photoshop filter would produce, but in live action.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Literally nothing happened here. At least in 2024 I'm in the path of totality :)
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I got to see it at 89% totality in Colorado Springs. It was pretty cool! One little awesome coincidence: I saw Great Longneck Migration for the very first time (I only saw the first six as a child) the very next day! I had no idea that it was about the longnecks going to watch an eclipse, and then when it happened in the movie, I had a heck of a time picking my jaw up off the ground!

Longneck3050

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot505,Oct 13 2017 on  07:12 PM
I got to see it at 89% totality in Colorado Springs. It was pretty cool! One little awesome coincidence: I saw Great Longneck Migration for the very first time (I only saw the first six as a child) the very next day! I had no idea that it was about the longnecks going to watch an eclipse, and then when it happened in the movie, I had a heck of a time picking my jaw up off the ground!
No Way!  :lol:
I saw the solar eclipse too.

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Longneck3050,Oct 13 2017 on  07:17 PM
Nice! I wish I could've gone up to Wyoming to see it at full totality, but it happened right in the middle of my college orientation, so I had to stay here in Colorado. But hey, I got to see it at 89% totality, which was pretty cool!

Longneck3050

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot505,Oct 13 2017 on  08:17 PM
Quote from: Longneck3050,Oct 13 2017 on  07:17 PM
Nice! I wish I could've gone up to Wyoming to see it at full totality, but it happened right in the middle of my college orientation, so I had to stay here in Colorado. But hey, I got to see it at 89% totality, which was pretty cool!
Yes, It Was Cool!