The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It seems Sharpteeth have this thing on the back of their feet.  Is that an extra claw or something?  

It's not just Sharpteeth, as Ruby has one too.  

What function does it serve?

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Whatever it is, it appears to only be present in carnivores or omnivores.  No Leaf Eater in LBT has it.  I don't think Egg Stealers have them either.  

I think we've only seen Velociraptor, T-Rex, and Oviraptor have them.

Note: It does seem to be a dewclaw, as I looked at the LBT wiki and both T-Rex and Velociraptors have them, as they do in LBT.  (I found this out by typing in the term in the wiki.  I wouldn't have known otherwise.)

However, what they are for is a mystery.  They can be used for balance or for getting prey.

And that still leaves it open, as all three types that have them DO eat meat in LBT (though Oviraptor also eats plants.)

On the other hand, they could be used for balance too, especially for Ruby.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
It's a dewclaw. It's a raised toe present on all or most theropods. I don't think LBT has all sharpteeth have them, though. It's such a useless claw that it doesn't really affect the overall design that much if you don't include them.

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Yup. It is called the dew claw. It is like the big toe of the foot except pretty useless. I love how cool they look though. X3

Some mammals have this as well. For instance some cats.