The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Meaning of the LBT characters' names

action9000 · 122 · 42492

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Lol, congrats pokeplayer :D
I think Ali's name is just a name, they thought it was cute so they used it.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 9 2007 on  03:49 AM
EDIT: OMG! This is my enter Cera rank post! I finally made what I was aiming for!
I sure hope you won't stop posting from now on fearing to advance to Littlefoot level :lol
Don't worry, Malte.  I'll continue to post.  I actually wanted to reach such a level three months ago, but there were certian circumstances that slowed me down. :^.^:

Anyways, what does everyone think about my prediction on Ali's name?  Seriously, what does everyone think?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I think you're looking in the wrong places. If one looks hard enough one will find many padorns in the most unlikely places. However, in this case you have to go by Occam's Razor, "the simplest expanation is often the correct one". I guess they just chose the name Ali because they found it cute, it has nothing to do with Apatosaurus classification.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Apatosaurus alenquerensis  
Apatosaurus amplus
Apatosaurus excelsus
Apatosaurus grandis
Apatosaurus laticollis
Apatosaurus louisae
Apatosaurus minimus
Apatosaurus montanus    
Apatosaurus yahnahpin

These are the known Apatosaurus species, two of them have their L's on their second name, I guess this is the most likely explanation, if you want to be all scientifical about it. But I still think it's just a name.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't know whether or not your theory is right NewOrder. I suppose the likelihood depends on the question whether there is somebody who really knows about the scientific names of the dinosaurs determining the names.
However, one point which may support your theory is the very spelling of Ali's name... Well, the spelling of a name must obviously metter in this question :lol
My point is that when I heard Ali's name I expected her to be spelled Ellie (like the mammoth from Ice Age 2). I remember I was surprised about the spelling as written down I would be inclined to identify "Ali" as an oriental male rather than a femal name. I don't know of any female named Ali.
So the spelling of Ali rather than the expected (I don't presume to be the only one who would have expcted a different spelling upone hearing the name) Ellie may be a point in favor of your theory.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Yeah, I thought her name was spelled Ellie as well. Ali is more of an arabe name, which would fit, since she's from a migrating heard. However, I have seen people using Ali and pronouncing it Ellie, usually as a short form for Allison.

Highsoar

• Big flyer
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
The Guido thing interested me, I thought he might be an Archaeopteryx (sp?) but really wasn't sure.

As for Ducky, I thought the sing along pinpointed her species...it sad Saurolophus. She does seem to look the part. Though my original guess before that was Parasaurolophus.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Tricia isn't on the upper list, Redclaw is mentioned but not on the list, there's no debating (well there can always be debating but you hopefully know what I mean) that Tricia is just like Tria, a "tri" name; Redclaw, it's obvious, right?

"As for Ducky, I thought the sing along pinpointed her species...it sad Saurolophus. She does seem to look the part. Though my original guess before that was Parasaurolophus."

yes Saurolophus, and Petrie is called a Pteranodon in the Sing Alongs too, so now the Pterano mystery is solved?

Is it at all wrong to say that Dinah and Dana (More so Dinah) are just references to "dinosaur"?

Rooter is a digging dinosaur that 'roots' around (much like a mole I've been told)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
What about Elise?

Personally I think it might be connected to the fact that she is an Elasmosaurus.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
With so many longneck characters they may have run out of names based on the type of dinosaur and just had to use other names.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I read somewhere that Ducky was a saurolophus.

As for Doc, I thought that his name stemmed from the Western theme that Land Before Time VII had. The Lone Dinosuar is obviously based on the Lone Ranger. His being able to do fancy tricks with his tail is akin to gun, or whip tricks. I figured that he was probably named for Doc Holiday.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Drake,Aug 7 2008 on  09:52 PM
I read somewhere that Ducky was a saurolophus.

As for Doc, I thought that his name stemmed from the Western theme that Land Before Time VII had. The Lone Dinosuar is obviously based on the Lone Ranger. His being able to do fancy tricks with his tail is akin to gun, or whip tricks. I figured that he was probably named for Doc Holiday.
Ducky's species has been debated for a while but it is canon that she is a Parasaurolophus.

And your theory about Doc (The Lone Dinosaur) having strong influences from Westerns is further reinforced by the song "The Lone Dinosaur". That song sounds exactly like a Western ballad.

EDIT - (8/7/08 - 22:31): corrected spelling error

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And Doc does sound like a western type of name, and he does fit that subgenre of westerns where a drifter comes into town helps with the problem and leaves & well as his tail being like a whip where he can do many things with it.  

As for what Ducky is, if the website and dvd's say she is a certain type then that is cannon, regardless of what anyone else says or thinks, though they can still say they think she looks more like a ... or prefer her as a ....

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ducky's species has been debated for a while but it is canon that she is a Parasaurolophus.
Not so Serris. There is no real canon on her species as the official information (information provided by official pages or the content of franchise items such as DvD bonus materials and books) differs on species Ducky is ascribed to. Parasaurolophus is mentioned in many but not all of those sources. Moreover Ducky and her parents look different from Parasaurolophus whose crest would have been an expansion of their nose ridge. Parasaurolophuses are shown during the song "Grandma's lullaby" in LBT 4 and they look clearly different from Ducky and her parents. At least one book (don't remember if there were any other sources with that claim) referred to Ducky as an Anatosaurus. That claim can be discarded by the fact that that species didn't have any crest whatsoever. It goes to show however that "official" sources are not necessarily correct (same as sequels are not necessarily coherent :bang). The Saurolophus claim (supported by several sources) seems to be the best compromise on the basis of Ducky's outward appearance in contrast to the Parasaurolophuses of LBT 4.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if several Paleontologists have been shown a screenshot of Ducky and her mother and asked, what sort of dino does she look the most like, and get what their opinions were?

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
That's a good idea, let's go find some paleontologists.  :lol

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The official website states that she is a Parasaurolophus. I'll go with that statement.

Yes, she looks more like a Saurolophus but this is probably a misindentification similar to how the Jurassic Park Velociraptors are actually more likely to be Deinonychus or Utahraptor.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The official website states that she is a Parasaurolophus.
That is one of several official sources of varying claims and personally I consider the content of the movie's (in this case with regard to the Parasaurolophus in LBT 4) of greater significance than the content of a webpage. That page also claims same as some (but not all) official sources that Petrie was a Pterodactyl while other official sources make him a Pteranodon (which may be more likely considering the fact that unlike Petrie Pterodactyl had no crest).
We will go with that statement.
You can do that, others will have to decide for themselves what they consider more likely.