The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dumb laws

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is just too funny!  Is it just someone's job to sit around and think of stupid laws like these? :lol:  :lol
http://www.kids-teens.org/dumb_laws.htm

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
The New Jersey law about not pumping your own gas is true--attendants do it.  Been there.  Also, its real funny to see cars from NJ up here in gas stations because they have one heck of a time trying to figure out how to work a gas pump.  :lol:

Now onto my home state:

New York

It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.
      The penalty for jumping off a building is death.
      A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his/her pocket.
      While riding in an elevator, one must talk to no one, and fold his hands while looking toward the door.
      Slippers are not to be worn after 10:00 P.M.
      During a concert, it is illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards on the sidewalks.
      You may not smoke within 100 feet of the entrance to a public building.
      You may only water your lawn if the hose is held in your hand

1.) Well even though its not intentional, I guess we declare baseball illegal.
2.) If you survive in the first place.  People do jump off bridges here...
3.) Who would? :blink:
4.) Yeah, we don't talk to people in elevators. :p
5.) :o Guilty.
6.) WTF? There's a time when all three of those happen simultaneously?
7.) Yes, that's a real law, and guess what...people smoke right outside the entrance.  The law pretty much bans smoking in any public building.
8.) Well then come arrest all the people on the north side who use sprinkler systems.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I have some more to offer.
For all I know in California a widow is not allowed to parachute on Sundays.

In Minnesota a woman can be punished with up to 30 days in prision for wearing a Santa Claus costume (I wonder if such a judgement was ever carried out).

You mustn't cross the border of the state of Minnessota with a duck on your head.

According to a 17th century law celebrating Christmas is illegal in Massachusetts.

And according to another Alaska Moose law people are obliged to intervene if they see two Mooses mating in public and prevent them from doing so (yeah right, if I see a 2.50 meter tall ruting Moos I'm going to kick it from the back of his mate in order to obey the law  :lol)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here are a few Canadian ones: :lol

35% of a radio stations content must be "Canadian Content". (This one is enforced, even in the Comics section of newspapers.)
National: You may not pay for a fifty-cent item with only pennies.
-Citizens may not publicly remove bandages.
-It is illegal for clear or non-dark sodas to contain caffeine.
-Calgary: Businesses must provide rails for tying up horses. (I've never heard of this one being enforced. :lol )
-Wooden logs may not be painted.
-You may never use dice to play craps.
-Alberta: If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town. (Don't worry; this doesn't appear to apply anymore :p)
-When raining, a person may not water his/her lawn.
-It is illegal to turn right on a red light at any time. (I'm not sure where this is enforced. I've never heard of this one.)
-Margarine producers can't make their margarine yellow.
Quebec: All business signs in the province of Quebec must be in French. (Yep, very true.)
- Homeowners are responsible for clearing snow off of municipal sidewalks. (if somebody slips on a sidewalk in front of my house, they can sue me. This one Is true.)
-Toronto: You can't drag a dead horse down Yonge Street on a Sunday.
-You may not wash your car in the street. (we can use water, but that's it. No soap may flow down stormdrains.)
-You may not park a car in such a way that it is blocking your own driveway. (I'm violating this one, as we speak :P: )
- "For Sale" signs are not permitted in the windows of moving vehicles. (For some reason, this one is actually true around here, but the law isn't enforced very much.)
- Citizens may not relieve themselves or spit on the street. (oh, really? :p)
- It is illegal to kill a sick person by frightening them.
- No one in Canada may watch or listen to an encrypted broadcast which is not licensed by the Canadian government.
-It is illegal for clear or non-dark sodas to contain caffeine. (True!)
-Comic books which depict any illegal acts are banned. (I'm not sure about this one, but it may be true *shrugs*)

I'm sure a few of these don't apply anymore, but there are certainly some strange laws in our lawbooks. B)

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
ALso, there is some place in Texas where it is against the law to spraypaint yellow and purple pokadots on a cow! :lol: You know why they have these laws?  Because someone apparently tried it one time and something happened.  I wish that thing would tell us why those laws were made.  I want to know the story behind them.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I once printed out about 7 pages filled with nothing but ridiculous laws, and the teacher spent a good half hour reading most of them to the class. Possibly my favorite one was the Chicago, Illinois law that you can't eat in a place that's on fire. XD And there's another funny law, can't remember which state, that you can't beat your wife with a belt wider than 2 inches UNLESS she gives you permission to use a wider belt. XD

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Some of my favorites were:
You can't fart in public after 6 pm. :lol:
You can't keep a horse in a bathtub :lol:
you can't drop a live moose out of an airplane :lol:
the punishment for jumping off a skyscraper is death :lol:  :lol:
you can drive the wrong way on a one way street if there is a lantern on the front of your car. :lol:  :lol:

I also saw something about dumb things said in court.  These were actually said in a real court case.  One was something like:
Lawyer: How do you know that the man was already dead when you performed the autopsy?
doctor: Because his brain was in a jar on my desk.
Lawyer: But could it be possible that he was still alive without his brain?
Doctor: Well, I suppose so.  He might just be practicing law right now! :slap  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol:  :lol:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here is that page!
http://www.humorcube.com/html/Real-Things-Said-in-Court.html
These were supposed to be real things said in court. The last one was my favorite!

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Oh for gawd sakes! Who makes up these laws?! PMSL :lol You can drive the wrong way down a one way system if you have a lantern on your car! It's illegal to whistle underwater! If two trains are on the same track heading towards each other, one cannot pass unless the other has! What the deuce!?! :blink:  :DD There are some real special people out there...PMSL :^.^:  :D  :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Jun 14 2006 on  12:21 AM
Here is that page!
http://www.humorcube.com/html/Real-Things-Said-in-Court.html
These were supposed to be real things said in court. The last one was my favorite!
I had a laughing fit reading that page.  :lol:  That is just amazing how the smartest being on the planet can be so stupid at the same time.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
:slap  :slap  :wow How could anyone be that dumb!

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just can't stop reading that court thing!  Its just too much! :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Oi, now those are some strange laws, but the strangest of all laws is found in the U.S. of A. I can have sex, father a child, go to war, and vote by age 18, but I couldn't drink or smoke until I turned 21?  :blink:  That one's always managed to boggle my mind.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I always thought that was stupid.  It use to be that you could go die in a war for your country but you couldn't vote.  Talk about stupid.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ok, Just a wiered thing, look up the Hittite legal codes.  Some of those are really...really weird.  Just a couple of examples...

1) If a man rapes a woman in the mountains, it is the man's fault, and he shall be put to death.  If he rapes her in the home, however, it is the woman's fault, and she will be put to death.  If the woman's husband walks in on them, he can kill them both with no penalty.

2) If a bull jumps a man for intercourse, the bull will be put to death, and the man given a fee equal to the value of the bull.

Tikaani Strike

• Chomper
    • View Profile

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
there used to be several sites I'd check often for updates with this kind of stuff
Engrish
Stupidsigns
Dumblaws
Dumbwarnings
and others... there's a few to try, I dunno which are up and or active

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Q: Was it you or your younger brother who was killed in the war?

Q: Did he kill you?

Q: How many times have you committed suicide?
XDXDXDXDXFD

Oh man, that's just too much, especially the second one.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
more dumb and stupid laws of california
No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

Women may not drive in a house coat.

It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

Arcadia
Peacocks have the right of way to cross any street, including driveways.

Alhambra
You cannot leave your car on the street overnight without the proper permit.

Baldwin Park

Nobody is allowed to ride a bicycle in a swimming pool.

Belvedere
City Council order reads: “No dog shall be in a public place without its master on a leash.”

Blythe
You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows.

Burlingame
It is illegal to spit, except on baseball diamonds.