The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Seeking the aid of an audiophile.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm glad you found a pair that you like.  If anyone's still interested though, the safest headphone brand to buy is Bose.  It's pretty much the most practical headphone brand for quality sound that won't break your budget.  Here's a pair from Target.  I have these and use them almost daily:

http://www.target.com/Bose-On-Ear-Headphon...on%20ear&page=1

I've heard some crazy expensive headphones in my day, even a pair that was $350 and the inexpensive (relatively) Bose on-ear headphones easily outmatched them.  To quote my best friend's mom:

It's like being in a movie theater!

For me, even though I got them almost 2 months ago the "awe" affect still gets me every time I put them on. :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: TheNumberOneShmuck,Dec 25 2008 on  07:20 AM
Sorry to gravedig this topic, but it has suddenly become relevant again!

So about a month and a half ago, the left phone in my 202s stopped working. Can't tell you why, as I don't know myself. I suspect electricity of some form gone afoul.

Well, going back to my MDR 150s was kinda lame, and I guess I complained loud enough for someone to notice, because I got a new set of headphones for Christmas. And not just any set.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16826106328

Holy fartsicle! There's a conspiracy, someone's trying to get me to become an audiophile, I just know it!

I don't yet know how good they are, as I'm currently going through the burn-in period Petrie recommended. I did wear them, though, and they seem really comfortable (seem, because I don't yet know the effects of extended use)

Doubtful anyone's gonna read this post anytime soon, considering Christmas and all, but meh. More later, when I actually use them.
I'm around on Christmas as everyone's gone home. :p

The HD280 pros are nice in writing.  If your situation is the same as before, I have my doubts they'll be good for portable use.  There is a 64 ohm impedance, which is double what I would recommend for portables (32 ohm) because a lot of power is needed to drive them.  If you plan to only use these at home, then any computer can drive these without an issue.

I have not tested these personally, so I won't know how they sound.  I've never listened to a "closed" Senn headset, but I will say they will sound very different to any open headset.

Also, just as a final tidbit, Senns have two year warranties on most models so you could've likely gotten a new pair of 202s if they were what you liked, less S/H. ;)

Bose.......blows.  Overpriced no matter the model.  Same goes for Shures.  You do not need to pay Bose prices for what you can get in a $40 speaker model.  There are companies known for good speakers and Bose isn't one of them.  Hi-end wannabes is what they are in the audiophile world.  Stick to Klipsch, Polk, etc. if you want high-end speakers, and Grado, AKG, and Sennheiser for headphones if you're after audiophile stuff.  I don't have that kind of money, TYVM, so I'll settle with the deficincies of lesser equipment which is all I can afford.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
for comparisons like this, i like to always return to the argument of a multi-product company vs a single product one.

not to say that the sony's will be rubbish, but i reckon the Sennheisers will have the superior sound quality. the lower impedance is a plus too.

i would probably get the Sennheisers, but the sony's are good too. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Bose.......blows. Overpriced no matter the model. Same goes for Shures. You do not need to pay Bose prices for what you can get in a $40 speaker model.

I shopped around A LOT before actually choosing the Bose headphones.  I bought several similarly priced headphones and Bose were the best (and yes that did include Sennheisers).  Trying 6 different models, the Bose was the best.  It was of much better quality than the other models, the sound was unsurpassed, and the on-ear design is the best thing I've ever seen (or heard I should say).  I've owned $5 headphones, $10 headphones, $20 headphones, $30 headphones, $50 headphones, $100 headphones, $200 headphones, and even a $350 pair of headphones and my $200 Bose headphones is the best of all of them.  

I also own the $750 surround sound system from Bose and it's the best.  I don't know where you got your information, but it's majorly faulty.  I'm sorry but you can't get the same quality from a piece of crap $40 pair of headphones than you can from my $200 Bose.  Believe me, I've tried (I'm cheap and I tried EVERYTHING not to have to pay $200 for a pair of stupid headphones).  I'm thinking of studying audio engineering in college and the professor was downright amazed by the quality of my Bose.  I may not know everything about audio that I'd like to, but Bose is a very good brand.  I just can't get over how good they sound.  My Bose headphones totally blew away my previous pair (a $50 Sennheiser) and the others I tried of similar price.  They were worth every penny and with a complimentary 3-year warranty, I know they stand behind their work.  I can't say that much about some of the other headphone brands out there, even the more expensive ones as they only give out a 1-year warranty.

Bose may be expensive, but they're worth it.  Yeah, there are better brands out there but Bose is great if you're on a budget.  I admit that some Bose products are a bit insane (such as their $800 wireless headphone set.  It didn't sound any better than the $200 so you were basically paying $600 to not have a cord).  Let me put it this way...I can't listen to any MP3 unless it's 320kps.  It sounds like s*** if it's any less.  I can tell you exactly how many kps a song is just by hearing it with my Bose (though I frequently mix up 128kps and 196kps since they're so close).  My previous surround sound system could blow you out of this world, but once I got my Bose, I gave my previous surround sound system to my aunt.  

Bose may have been overpriced years ago (I don't know.  I didn't care that much about how good of sound I got back then), but from what I can tell in recent years, they really deserve every penny for their products.  

Oh, and one Bose product that I would stick away from is the $250 pair of computer speakers.  They really suck.  Heck, my logitec speakers beat them. :p I returned those the same day.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Dec 25 2008 on  05:47 PM
The HD280 pros are nice in writing.  If your situation is the same as before, I have my doubts they'll be good for portable use.  There is a 64 ohm impedance, which is double what I would recommend for portables (32 ohm) because a lot of power is needed to drive them.  If you plan to only use these at home, then any computer can drive these without an issue.
Yeah, I suspect that taking the 202s on the road may have led to the problem, and I want to be extra careful with these, so it's strictly computer and video game use for them. Broken to hell though they may look, my 150s still work like the day I got them, so they're my road 'phones. Hell, even my 202s will still find occasional use, as I sometimes like to listen to comedy at night while I game in my bed, and its long cable allows for this. No stereo necessary to enjoy some Katt Williams.

As for the 280s, well… they're good, better than the 202s, but I dunno about $70+ better (could my sound card, a default Dell one, affect the quality? or maybe I haven't worn them in enough yet). But they were a gift, so that complaint is irrelevant. They're way more comfortable, and extended use brings less discomfort than the somewhat ear-crushing 202s. The sound dampening aspect is pretty cool, although it creates a distinct potential for accidentally ignoring such things as the doorbell and people who knock on my door. I like the big thick cord, so nice after the 202's flimsy little strings.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(could my sound card, a default Dell one, affect the quality? or maybe I haven't worn them in enough yet)
Technically yes but the only thing it will really do that's even worth mentioning is the signal/noise ratio, meaning with a better sound card you'll hear less hissing at higher volumes.  That's basically all a sound card will really do for you for just listening to music.

Bose.......blows. Overpriced no matter the model.
I have to agree with this, at least for speakers, as opposed to headphones.  I'm not too sure on headphones.  I wouldn't touch a Bose speaker system though.  I've heard enough of them to know they're not my cup of tea.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have to agree with this, at least for speakers, as opposed to headphones. I'm not too sure on headphones. I wouldn't touch a Bose speaker system though. I've heard enough of them to know they're not my cup of tea.

Well the $250 set sucked anyway.  The $750 surround sound system rocks and the $400 set I got for my mom work pretty well.  Maybe you just have to spend a lot to get decent quality in the speakers?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Maybe you just have to spend a lot to get decent quality in the speakers?
I listened to demo Bose systems at Best Buy that weren't super-cheap (I forget the price but over $1000 for the package) and couldn't help but think I could get a much nicer system for the same price (or cheaper) with Klipsch, even Energy, etc.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well what do I know?  I didn't shop around for the surround sound systems.  I just assumed they were the best because the Bose headphones beat all the other brands I tried hands down.  I guess it was a stupid decision.  Oh well.  I'll do better next time.  I switch my surround sound speakers at least once a year.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I switch my surround sound speakers at least once a year.
I'll take your old ones, even if they are bose!  :lol  :p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'll take your old ones, even if they are bose!

I would but technology goes down the line in my family.  Once I get tired of the technology (which happens very fast), I give it to my mom.  Once I get tired of another of the same technology, she gets my old one again and the one she had before goes to my aunt....and so on.  It's a 5 person cycle and by the time it gets to the bottom of the line, it's Waaaaaaaay old. :p I can give you the $300 Altec Lansing speakers I had in.....2003 once I get my new pair and my great aunt gets tired of them.  But yeah, I get the best of everything and I give the technology I get tired of to other members of my family.  I just gave my great aunt a laptop with a 3.2ghz HT P4 processor, 1.5gb of ram, and a 60gb hard drive.  Sure it's not the best, but I got it, then gave it to my mom, then my aunt, then my uncle, then my grandma, then my great aunt.  In around 4 months, it's gonna have to go to the thrift store because I'm sending another laptop down the line. :smile So yeah, you can have my $750 Bose surround sound system...but it'll be in 5 years or so once everyone in my family has had a taste of them. :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Haha, no worries :p
I'm liking my Energy RC-70s anyway. :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Different strokes for different folks is all I'll say I figure on the Bose stuff.

As for the 280s, well… they're good, better than the 202s, but I dunno about $70+ better (could my sound card, a default Dell one, affect the quality? or maybe I haven't worn them in enough yet). But they were a gift, so that complaint is irrelevant. They're way more comfortable, and extended use brings less discomfort than the somewhat ear-crushing 202s. The sound dampening aspect is pretty cool, although it creates a distinct potential for accidentally ignoring such things as the doorbell and people who knock on my door. I like the big thick cord, so nice after the 202's flimsy little strings.

Yes, this is a common issue with closed headsets.  They will crush your ears a bit if they don't fit just right, and yeah, you probably will hear less of your phones/doorbells in the process because of the design.  Thicker cords are obviously a perk of more expensive sets.  Your sound card will make a difference only in the amount of electrical interference you may hear (moreso with onboard laptop cards).  Electrical interference can be hiss, crackles, static, etc.