The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fynart (get it?)

Fyn16 · 12 · 2421

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm currently working on a full-body picture of Fyn, my OC. When it's finished, I'll have it uploaded here. In the meantime, anyone want to try a character from Among Friends? (one of my stories).

The character is:

Orn and/or Thim.

Species: Ornithomimus

Color: Blue with nondescript markings (Orn). Green with faint stripes (Thim). Both have lighter underbellies.

Note: Orn is an antagonist. Should look somewhat evil.

Or you could try this...

Character: Small Sharptooth

Species: Compsognathus

Color: Green with blue markings.

Note: Cute as they are, these are mean little buggers! Draw as such.

Anyway, just some ideas if anyone's up for them!

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Just one further note: this is Fyn as he appears during my current fanfic: Let Your Heart Guide You. In this story, he's a pre-adolescent. In other words, he's old enough to fight Sharpteeth, but not too old to not be a kid anymore.

The picture (or at least draft 1) is done. Now I just need to figure out how to upload it...

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quick question: anyone know where online I could get a good "Great Valley-ish" background?

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Okay, latest update: I just ordered a scanner off of amazon.com. Hopefully, it'll be here by this weekend. When I've got it, I can finally upload my pictures to gimp (my preferred picture-editing program), add some color and eye candy (om nom nom) and post my pics! I'm thinking of doing one of Such next.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Here's a plane to tide you over...

YF-34 "Peregrine"

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
And now... I present Fyn, as he appears in Let Your Heart Guide You

Granted I'm not much of an artist...

This is also how I appear in the RP "In the Land Before Time," while Fyn's still a younger kid.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Looks pretty darn good to me! :yes I love the colors you used, and the silhouettes of the spines behind the membrane of his left sail are a nice touch.

If I were to suggest ways to improve on your art style, I would say work on making the front legs (especially the right front legóFyn's right, not the viewer's) a little straighter, perhaps looking at some LBT clips to see how the elbows bend, and to try to make the bottoms of the feet more horizontal where they touch the ground, so they look more like they are supporting the dinosaur's weight. (This is more of an issue with the front feet than the back, but then the back feet are largely hidden behind the tail.)

Are your versions of adult fin-necks roughly the same size as other adult longnecks, or smaller in comparison, like real Amargasaurus?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Somewhat smaller as far as height is concerned, but a similar length. I know I'm going off of artistic license here, but I think it's kind of neat to imagine a larger version of Amargasaurus. After all, we haven't discovered much about it. It's possible it may have grown to a size more comparable to other diplodocids (though sadly unlikely), so that's what I use to justify Fyn.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
LBT isn't that accurate with the size of its prehistoric animals, so as far as I'm concerned, you don't even need that justification. :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm looking for some constructive criticism, here....

This picture is a rough copy, which I will upload onto the computer and fix up a bit. Essentially, it'll be Fyn fighting something, perhaps Chomper (Where Paths Diverge). However, something doesn't seem right about him. Please let me know if there's something I can do to change this for the better. When I finish the Sharptooth, I'll post that as well, since I have a feeling he'll be needing some major adjustments.

I apologize because it is, in fact, sideways.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The rear legs need improvement. The lower part of the left leg is too human-like. It should be a little bit thinner, and its proportions should be changed somewhat. It should be thinnest in the middle, and then get slightly wider towards the foot. The lower leg should appear almost straight, just slightly curved inwards. The left foot is too human-like too. The heel should be bigger and rounder, the metatarsals should be shorter and thicker, so that the skin in front of the joint forms a wrinkle.

Depending on the posture you'd like Fyn to have, the right rear foot should be either bigger, or it should be the size you've drawn, but facing 30 degrees to the right and have a wrinkle on the left side, indicating the foot is placed outwards and bent. I recommend the second posture for stability.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I agree with what jansenov said about the legs and feet.  
I think that the head should be bent at a sharper angle so that he is looking down a bit more, so it will be more dynamic.  It would also mean that he would be giving his opponent a stare down  :p
There's also a tangent where the left front leg meets the right hind leg.