The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Fanart by Ren

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hopefully I'll have more pictures to upload but I only have one that is complete, so it will have to do for now.

So, without further to do . . . here's Ducky looking off in awe at something

This started out as a teeny tiny doodle that I decided to color. For some reason I selected the hardest-to-draw character as my first picture.  :rolleyes: Oh well.
If anyone has any crits or questions I will answer them as best as I can.  :)

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You have a really unique style^^ I love this pic of Ducky and hos she's posed. Looks like she's excited about something.
"Oh mah GAWSH! TREE SWEETS!" lol
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Haha thanks!  :DD I tried to make it look more like Ducky from the first movie than from the sequels because I just like her design better in the first.

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
She seems more... well, almost human in the first one^^ which is quite appealing
J. R. R. Tolkein

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's awesome! :) Ducky is very difficult... Your unique style made it possible to make it look great :)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Great style and expression. Love it! Her expression would be even better if she had a longer and deeper lower jaw (the vertical part of the jaw connecting it to the skull should be longer by at least 50%, and the lower tip of the mouth should be at same height as it is now, but at least an eye pupil's length more to the right), and a more muscular, more visible cheek, and it should end in a wrinkly corner of the lips.

But as I said, love it!  :wow

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A very well done drawing I think & an interesting expression on her face.  I wonder what she is seeing or watching.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Great Job! I love Ducky's pose here, too. She IS excited! I love that expression. :D

Hey, I can't draw crap on a computer <_<. You did great. :D ^_^

You did a great job drawing Ducky. You have every right to be proud of yourself. :D

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
Wonderful! Ducky really IS excited about something!  :DD

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Great picture!Resembles to the original character very well,yet have something unique to it as well.I think that her legs could be a little thicker,especially the parts under her knee,and the nails in her leg could be slightly more pointed,but again it looks great anyway.What did you used to draw this?Do you have a tablet,or you used a mouse?

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks everybody! I'm a little rusty at digital inking and coloring, so every time I look at this I see new flaws,  <_< but it's good to know it doesn't look too bad.

Her expression would be even better if she had a longer and deeper lower jaw (the vertical part of the jaw connecting it to the skull should be longer by at least 50%, and the lower tip of the mouth should be at same height as it is now, but at least an eye pupil's length more to the right), and a more muscular, more visible cheek, and it should end in a wrinkly corner of the lips.
See, I knew there was something kinda off about her face, but I was so concerned about capturing her profile that I completely missed that.  :oops

I think that her legs could be a little thicker,especially the parts under her knee,and the nails in her leg could be slightly more pointed
One thing that I keep noticing about Ducky is that her character design almost completely changed by the time the last sequel came out. Specifically her legs and her posture. She started out having relatively skinny legs and carrying her body so it was horizontal to the ground in the original movie, then gradually morphing into looking like a tripod made out of tree stumps by the last movie.  :o but perhaps in trying to adhere to the original design I went too far.  :p As for the nails, I just liked the way they looked rounded off.  :)

What did you used to draw this?Do you have a tablet,or you used a mouse?
This started out as an itsy-bitsy doodle on paper that is about as big as the first joint in my thumb.  After I decided to color it I scanned it into Photoshop and tweaked it using a drawing tablet. I selected the colors from a picture of a cel from the first movie.

Thanks again for the comments guys  :) Right now I'm in the process of redoing my avatar so hopefully I'll have that to post shortly.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah!!! My favorite character :DD
Well done FreckledOne  :yes !
Inactive, probably forever.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Nice work! Love how you captured the expression here too.
I wonder, would you consider doing art for my fanfic, Venatione Venatus?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Sorry, Ren; I think I said once that I liked your artwork and would comment on it if you ever started a thread for it. It took me longer to get around to posting in this one than I intended. :oops

Even if the anatomy isn't perfect, I like how you drew Ducky here. The coloring is really nice; brings to mind the lighting of the original LBT. And nice job on the bumps and creases along the back and tail. And the eyes are really nice; out of all of her facial features, I think they contribute the most to her expression. I really admire the shading, too. (Then again, I know next to nothing about proper shading, so that may not be saying much. :oops)

I would try to differentiate the toes a bit more. Though you're right about making the toenails rounded off, I think they might be a bit too round, especially the middle one on her right foot. I also think her belly should be a bit rounder, and the upper part of her forearm more slender. Maybe a bit more practice on the hands, too (although I do like that you tried to draw them clasped together). And maybe it's just me, but it looks like her right wrist is being held at a rather sharp angle to her forearm.

Quote from: FreckledOne,Jan 4 2013 on  05:06 PM
I tried to make it look more like Ducky from the first movie than from the sequels because I just like her design better in the first.
I agree with you completely on that. That's the problem with direct-to video sequels of animated movies; the character models are always going to be greatly simplified. (Just look at Spike; in the sequels he doesn't even have the tail spikes that gave him his name! :slap)

Quote from: FreckledOne,Jan 4 2013 on  04:27 PM
For some reason I selected the hardest-to-draw character as my first picture.  :rolleyes: Oh well.
Ha ha! :lol There's something else we agree on!

While I may not comment on every piece of art you post, I am excited to see more. :)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Again thanks for the comments (So many for just the one picture; I really need to do more!) :o

I wonder, would you consider doing art for my fanfic, Venatione Venatus?
It might take a while, just to warn you, but I guess I could try.

The coloring is really nice; brings to mind the lighting of the original LBT.
Yay, that's what I was going for!  :lol:

I would try to differentiate the toes a bit more. Though you're right about making the toenails rounded off, I think they might be a bit too round, especially the middle one on her right foot. I also think her belly should be a bit rounder, and the upper part of her forearm more slender. Maybe a bit more practice on the hands, too (although I do like that you tried to draw them clasped together). And maybe it's just me, but it looks like her right wrist is being held at a rather sharp angle to her forearm.
Yeah, but I like the rounded toe profile *pouts* ;) Ah oh well.
About the hands and wrist; when I draw something, I concentrate the most on the pose and making sure it reads well (or well enough), then I go in and refine, so my poses may be a little "extreme", for lack of a better word. But again, when I watch the original movie there are all sorts of crazy poses, and I love them.  :)

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Finally have something else to put in here! As promised, here is the larger version of my updated avatar:

I suppose I should give some story behind this; This is my dinosona, as in if I was somehow transported into the Land Before Time, I would look something like this. Just ignore the probability that dinosaurs (and pterosaurs) wouldn't have freckles.  :p

Species: I am notoriously indicisive, so the exact species sometimes changes between being a Pterodactylus and a small Cearadactyl; either way some sort of sharptoothed flyer.

Color: Very very pale peach. Lower part of beak and belly is white.

Size: Pretty small. Just a little bigger than Petrie!  :o

Personality: Quiet, nervous, but tends to have mood swings every so often. In other words, my own quirky personality!  :crazy Can be found scratching pictures onto cave walls.

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ Aww, love it! I should upload my dinosona sometime, everyone seems to have one now and I feel so left out!!
:lol
I especially love the crawling posture, and the way the wings are swept back, and that distrustful, almost frightened expression.
Excellent^^
J. R. R. Tolkein

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Cool pic!Since it's your dino yourself,may I question why did you choose a very pale color for it?Did you have some particular reason for it,or did you just thought it would be interesting(which i certainly think,it immediatelly got my attention),since we haven't realy seen a dino colored so close to white in the lbt?

I also like the pose,and how it uses it's hands to move too,instead of something similar to Petrie's bipedal walking(which seems to be unrealistic),a pterosaur moving like that would be an amazing sight(well atlast for me,I like that crawling wit those big wings sticking out from the back of the arm).My only suggestion is that I think the left claw in his left leg is a little bit too small,though i'm not sure.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I should upload my dinosona sometime
Dooo eeeeettt  :yes I like seeing other people's dinosonas.

Since it's your dino yourself,may I question why did you choose a very pale color for it?
I chose the pale color simply because I am pale IRL and thought that it would be a suitable color for a flyer that hangs out in caves most of the time.  ;)

I also like the pose,and how it uses it's hands to move too,instead of something similar to Petrie's bipedal walking(which seems to be unrealistic),a pterosaur moving like that would be an amazing sight(well atlast for me,I like that crawling wit those big wings sticking out from the back of the arm).
That's one thing that I really like about the first movie that isn't used in the sequels; that Petrie usually moves around on all fours (It's so appealing how he scampers around like a fledgling bird. It's hard to explain, but he seems like he has weight. The animation in the first movie is so good :wub ). I wish the flyers in LBT 7 moved like that.

My only suggestion is that I think the left claw in his left leg is a little bit too small
It actually is suppose to bit a little smaller, because the viewpoint is from slightly above and that claw is splayed out and in perspective. But good eye.  :)

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
And now for something completely different!

I was messing around in paint and made this:

A Cera emoticon! I actually made made one for each of the gang, but I wanted to post this one first. I was inspired by the dino face emoticons already in use here.  :DD