The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Art for Venatione Venatus.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
OK, I love fanart.
It is honestly one of my favourite things, but it would be slightly more useful if I could draw it... :rolleyes:

Many of you have now probably seen my fanfic, Venatione Venatus. I was wondering if any of you would like to do some art for it. I've already asked around, but there's either been no reply, or indecision.

I feel really bad trying to force this on you guys, but I'd just thought I'd make this public, and see if anything comes of it.

So, yeah...

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
I might do it...but I'm not that great of an artist (in my opinion). I'll need to think about it.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I’m guilty of being one of those indecisive respondents. :oops Whether or not I end up doing any artwork for you, I had a few questions and ideas regarding the character profile pictures that I thought I would voice here, in case they prove helpful to other artists.

First, I was wondering how you imagine bladebacks (Oxalaia) as differing from LBT Spinosaurus? The members DarkWolf91 and Sky have both done amazing drawings of young Spinosaurus characters, and I imagine you’d want Seizon to look distinct from them. If you didn’t already have anything in mind, I thought that, in keeping with their name, bladebacks could have “sharper” looking crests than Spinosaurus, perhaps with sharp points on the supporting spines to give it a jagged outline like a saw blade. Additionally, real-life spinosaurids are known to have had a small crest on the midline of the snout; maybe Seizon and Xal could have such crests, which could be made to resemble the tip of knife as an additional “blade” motif.

Also, are there any particular illustrations of Oxalaia and/or Agustinia that influenced your mental image of what these characters should look like? I think it would be helpful for artists to have a good idea as to the appearance of the dinosaur species they have to "LBT-ify", and all the better if it's the same picture(s) that inspired you to design the characters in the first place.

Finally, I think many members (artists and otherwise) would find it helpful if you provided a direct link to your character profiles thread (both here and in the thread for your fanfiction). I know you haven’t been on the forum very long; are you familiar with how to post links?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm currently in the beginning of the semester :p but I would like to give this a try.
Forewarned, I am vague^^ so when I say something, I either won't do it because I forgot, or I will do it, and then forget to post it^^
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
OK, thanks for your help. Here's a link to my character profiles:

Here!
Here!

And the story is:

HERE!
HERE!

As for distinctive characteristics for Seizon and Xal, I'm not particularly sure. Maybe sharper features, as you suggested, Pangaea, to display their slightly arrogant personalities, something to make them look more menacing than regular sharpteeth, yet at the same time, as proper characters rather than mindless monsters.

The Agustinia will probably need a scowl as an expression, and its spikes looking elaborate and threatening. Those are just a few ideas. As I have mentioned already, art isn't my strongest point! Hope you can work with what I've given you.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
For reference of what the dinosaur species looked like, here is an image of:
Agustinia
And...
Oxalaia
Hope this was helpful!

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't know if you saw it in my fanart topic or not, but I had said that I could try to draw one of your characters, but only now do I have something to show for it.  :^.^:
Would you prefer it if I posted it here or if I PM it to you?

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: FreckledOne,Mar 22 2013 on  02:18 PM
I don't know if you saw it in my fanart topic or not, but I had said that I could try to draw one of your characters, but only now do I have something to show for it.  :^.^:
Would you prefer it if I posted it here or if I PM it to you?
Ooh, show it here!  :lol: Thanks!!!

No, didn't see the other post, sorry!

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Okay! No problem about not seeing my post, sometimes I forget where the best place to respond to things would be.

I do have to warn you though (and everybody else who might be viewing) these are very rough sketches and they don't have very many details, but they were literally my first pass at trying to portray this character. So don't run away screaming  :lol

So these are a few drawings of my concept of Seizon. I've never really drawn a bladeback before, let alone an Oxalaia, but I looked at pictures of Spinosaurus skeletons and went from there.  :smile

Top: I tried to make him look rather menacing here, as if he was looming over some poor creature.
Middle left: Peering disdainfully over his shoulder (or as close as he can get to it :p ). I think he looks a bit younger in this one. Isn't he supposed to be an adolescent?
Middle right: A close up profile of his face; that is a crest in front of his eye.
Bottom: Arrogantly stalking off (perhaps he thinks he won an argument?)

If there are any changes that you'd like made feel free to let me know, or you could pick one of these sketches so maybe I could clean it up and color it, or whatever you want  :lol:

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Very nice, I especially love the bottom sketch. Really how I pictured Seizon. You captured his personality perfectly^^
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
This is great FreckledOne!!  :lol:  :lol:  :D  :D  :D
I love how you've given him different poses and expressions. As for how I imagined him, generally in my mind he had a slightly longer snout and shorter legs, but who am I to complain? ITS ABSOLUTLEY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to make those changes, then by all means, but honestly, its fine the way it is.  :lol:

About his age, Seizon is supposed to be a young adolescent, which he seems to be here, so that's good as well. :yes

Thanks SO MUCH, that has really made my day.  :lol

Have you seen the new chapter yet?

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
OK, as for picking one of the sketches for you to colour...umm...

Difficult to decide, they're all so good.  :lol

Err...how about the top one?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Why not color all the sketches instead of picking just one?

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yay I did good!  :lol:
I haven't read the new chapter yet, but I'll get around to it. I'm just not too good at reviewing written work. And the matter of only picking one to color was just a suggestion. I could color them all, I guess, but I'll start with the top one.  :yes

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oh my gosh. I finally have one of the sketches colored. Two and a half months later.  :oops I really have been working on it this whole time, but my job and other things got in the way. Sorry for making you wait.

You had said that Seizon is cyan with a sea green sail, if I remember correctly. I went to Wikipedia to get their definition of those colors, and then I tweaked them so there would be more contrast. I hope that's okay. And I couldn't think of a suitable background so I just painted a suggestion of one.

So here you go.  :^.^:

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
:lol: Thanks so much!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!  :D I love the background too...just generally, this is amazing..........

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
wow! Seizon looks great, Freckled One :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
It looks awesome and very good. The colors you used where perfect and very well chosen. Nice work there.