The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Artwork by MURMUR

MurMur · 58 · 10657

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Wow,for the first animation,that is an amazing job there.The motion blend nicely together,and the picture itself is a nicely looking eggstealer.I remember that in GIMP making animations is fairly time consuming.May I ask how many layers it took to make this animation?The only thing I would suggest is to use a little blur on it,so the edges will be smooth everywhere.

If it's not against your style,and you want to I think you should consider shading.It would add an even better feeling of deepness.This process is very easy in GIMP,and I think you can find a good guide how to do it fast and easily in youtube.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Welcome, Blais_13, and thanks for your visit. There are 45 layers (frames) in this picture. I considered doing some shading, but I think it looks good even without it. Shading is good when there is a light source present, but there's none. And I decided not to use blur, because not only it makes the picture somewhat less appealing, it also increases its size. Which makes it slower to load. Not everyone has fast internet connection, right? :)
And nice to meet you again, Ducky123! :)

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
A grand success. I've discovered a way to make my animations faster to load, so that now I can put high quality textures in them. For example, I've inserted this beautiful background into Strut's new avatar:

I hope she'll like this one. :)

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
:D That's a great avatar you made for Strut, Murmur. It looks really neat. :yes

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thank you, Jared, and welcome. :)
I'm doing various experiments with these animations, and I find them quite amusing.
I can make an animated avatar for you too if you wish.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I do indeed love it!
My avatar is as dancy as I am :smile
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thanks. I like the word "dancy", it fits her well. :)

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
I use gimp to draw. Well, I use paint and touch it up in gimp. Your artwork is really nice!

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Welcome, Phantom. :)
Here's my second GIMP experiment:

4. Watching the sunset.

This is a gift for Ducky123. The picture is probably too dark, but that's because it reflects my current mood.
Here is the larger version of this picture.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Wow! This is beautiful :yes
Having tried myself (without much success) to capture the scenery of a glorious sunset I know just how difficult it is to make the light-, shadow-, and color-effects look good. In this pictures they look just amazing. Adding clouds to such a morning sky is another trickery element which you mastered here. Above all however I like the calm reflective mood which I feel the picture gives with Ducky standing there marveling at the sunrise possibly in a thoughtful moment. A special bonus are the whiffs of groundfog in the background on the left which I feel add to the aforementioned reflective mood. I'd wish I could give some constructive criticism as in making suggestions for further improvement in future picture, but while I don't want to sound like I was flattering I just can't spot any fly in the ointment here; just a very, very beautiful and atmospheric picture.

PS: One thing I noticed is that until I read the title I thouht it was a sunrise rather than a sunset, but the perception there can be random I think.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
This picture is, to put it simply, too good for words, and if I could use words, it would be what Malte said about it. Very beautiful!  :yes

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is a beautiful picture, very well done.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That is a beautiful picture!   :)

I think that the perspective of the picture and the darker hues assist the viewer in focusing on the main focal points of the picture: Ducky and the setting sun.  The darker shade of the picture also allows the viewer to interpret Ducky's expression as a moment of reflection or thoughtfulness, whereas if the picture had lighter hues the same expression might instead be interpreted as melancholy.  The little touches that you have added to the picture (namely the gorgeous clouds) complement it quite nicely.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Very well done, MurMur! I feel honoured  :wow

There is much room for interpretation, thus I think this picture should be added to the 'fanart caption this' section, if you want to, that is... :)

You can be proud about this wonderful picture! I don't think it is too dark, the darkness makes it look somewhat mysterious and I totally like Ducky's expression.

On a side note: I hope you are alright, a friend of mine is in a pretty dark mood herself and.. well, I hope it is nothing serious  :unsure:
You should feel good for what you achieved with this picture instead :)
Inactive, probably forever.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh my! This is amazing! Much better than my sunset picture :smile
The lineart is very clear and distinguishes itself very nicely against the highlights and darker hues, really bringing out that REAL factor!
Wow! You're using GIMP? The same program I use? I can never figure out how to get those effects.
This is beautiful Murmur! Indeed, a picture to be proud of. I wish there was a Favorite's tabe like there is on DeviantART, because this would go right into my Favorites :DD
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thanks to everyone for visiting my little fanart corner. I wanted to make some animated GIFs too, but failed. Depression kills my creativity.
One interesting thing is that I don't really know where this scene takes place. This doesn't look like the Great Valley. What do you think?

Very well done, MurMur! I feel honoured
The picture is yours, Ducky123, and if you need some more free art, then ask me. :)

Wow! You're using GIMP? The same program I use? I can never figure out how to get those effects.
This is GIMP. This means that you can draw this too, Strut, you have the skill to do that.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
This picture is magnificent! :wow The sunrise is gorgeous; I love the gradually diffusing rays of light spanning the sky, and the red glow cast across the landscape. And I love the color pallete; to me it's reminiscent of the original Land Before Time, giving a nostalgic sense to the picture. You also did a fantastic job drawing Ducky; I love the simple, thoughtful expression.

I'll hold off on the constructive criticism for now, since I honestly have very little of it, and I don't know how you feel about my style of critique. In any case, I really hope to see more pictures like this from you. :)

Also, sorry to hear you're depressed, MurMur. :( I hope you feel better soon.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.