The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pangaea's LBT Artwork

Pangaea · 40 · 9211

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
After over a year as a GOF member and reviewing other people’s art, I’ve finally decided to start an art thread of my own.

I’ve been an artist for as long as I can remember. I’ve been drawing all my life, and dinosaurs have long been some of my foremost subjects. My history of making LBT art, however, is barely longer than my tenure as a GOF member (shorter if you consider the moment I signed up to be the beginning of my membership). I’ve done a few pieces, and even posted them on the forum (some of which I may share again here). Most of them I’m reasonably happy with, but as you might expect for such an obsessive nitpicker and perfectionist, I always see room for improvement.

Many people tell me I’m a good artist, but truthfully, I’m not a very confident one. I’m often reluctant to even get started on a piece of artwork, because it’s such a painstaking process for me. I have a shaky hand, so I have trouble drawing lines smoothly; I make a lot of mistakes, so I erase frequently; I have a hard time with proportion and scaling because I’m poor at visualizing my drawings ahead of time; I’ve never learned how to add dimension, shading, and texture to my pictures; and I have a tendency to misjudge the size of my drawings and run out of space on the paper. :bang Someday I hope to buy and learn to use a drawing tablet, so that I can make artwork on the computer, but for now, my drawing tools are limited to paper, pencil, and colored pencil. It’s not completely out of the question that I could make clay models and other three-dimensional forms of artwork that I post photos of, but those will almost certainly be few and far between.

In short, making art is a very time-consuming process for me, and as I can’t seem to find the time to get things done even when I’m not producing artwork on the side, you probably shouldn’t expect this thread to be updated too often. However, if I am convinced that my artwork is being seen and appreciated, it will almost certainly motivate me to make more. I very much hope that people will comment on what I post here and give me feedback, whether compliments or constructive criticism. Tell me what you like and what I’m doing well, and tell me what could use improvementóor better yet, give me suggestions and advice on HOW it can be improved. Feedback is the lifeblood of artists and writers, and it’s especially important to me. Your comments don’t need to be as exhaustive as the reviews I’ve left on other people’s work (though I’d certainly appreciate it if you could elaborate as much as possible ;)); what I most want to know is that my work is being seen, and what people think of it. For me, the best part of finishing a picture, a poem, or a story is showing it to other people, seeing their reactions, and hearing what they think of it. I hope you can do that for me. :)

My official artist’s signature, with my favorite pen that I used to write it. :smile

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It seemed logical that the first picture I posted in this thread should be the first piece of LBT-related artwork I completed, and the one most familiar to the GOF: my avatar:

The face of Pangaea (not literally :p).

The full-sized original image.

A number of people have asked me what this creature is (Probably my favorite comment I have yet received on it stated that it “kinda looks like Spike with vampire teeth” :lol). It is actually a Lystrosaurus (pronounced “Liss-troh-sore-us”), a four-legged, pig-sized, plant-eating, digging, possibly amphibious early relative of mammals that was once the most abundant and widespread land vertebrate on Earth. It lived even before the first dinosaurs, in the late Permian and early Triassic, around 250 million years ago. It was one of the few survivors of a mass extinction that wiped out about 70% of life on land, and 90% in the sea, and subsequently, it flourished. Fossils have been found on every continent, and four to six species are known, depending on which taxonomist you ask :p (My avatar is based on Lystrosaurus georgi).

Lystrosaurus is classified as a dicynodont (pronounced “dy-sy-no-dawnt”), belonging to the infraorder Dicynodontia, the order Therapsida, and the class Synapsida; a group commonly referred to as “mammal-like reptiles”. This term is in fact a misnomer, as the synapsids were an entirely separate branch from the true reptiles. It was not a mammal either, though it was related to their ancestors, the cynodonts, and may have even had hair and whiskers. Its tusks, the only teeth it had (hence the name “dicynodont”: “two dog teeth”), may have been used for digging and rooting in the soil for food (its name even means “shovel reptile”), but they also could have been used for fighting. It had a more sprawling posture than a mammal or dinosaur, but less so than a lizard or crocodile.

In Lystrosaurus’s time, the continents were merged together into a single huge landmass known as Pangaea, the source of my GOF screen name. I knew I was going to draw some sort of prehistoric creature for my avatar, and thought it would be appropriate that that creature was the most prominent and ubiquitous inhabitant of the supercontinent for which I was named. Furthermore, I was truthfully a little unhappy with the name “Pangaea”; I thought it would be hard for people to pronounce, difficult for them to spell (I was right :p), and I didn’t really like the sound of it (I chose it in the first place because at the time I wasn’t planning to actually participate in the GOF, and I couldn’t think of anything else). Making an avatar that was meaningful in its association to that name made me like it better. I still might change my avatar sometime in the future, but I’m pretty happy with it as it is.

In making my avatar, I first looked for a restoration of a Lystrosaurus, so that I would have a realistic basis for my LBT-styled creature. This is the picture I used:

Many people would probably consider the scientifically accurate Lystrosaurus to be a rather ugly creature, so I tried to make the LBT-styled one in my avatar look endearing, while keeping its species recognizable. I also wanted to draw it in such a way that it would look like a Land Before Time character, so I looked at various creatures in the LBT films to get an idea of how to draw its characteristics. Lystrosaurus had large, bulging eyes set high on its head, so I used the frogs in LBT IX as my references there (The frogs also contributed the hump on the top of the snout). I looked at the turtles in the same film as a reference for the beak (That vertical line down the center came from them). Finally, I used Cera’s horn as the basis for the texture of the beak and tusks, and the connection of the tusks to the mouth. The nostrils (well, the one nostril you can see) are based on Cera’s as well. I can’t remember what I used as a reference for the neck wrinkles and the neck’s connection to he head, but it may have been one of the Gang.

For colors, I went with light green and yellow, with a brown beak and darker green under the eyes, because those just felt like the right colors for a LBT-style Lystrosaurus. I imagine that if Lystrosaurus were featured in the series, they would be portrayed as more reptilian than they probably actually were (much like the Dimetrodon in the original LBT was given a snakelike tongue, despite being a synapsid like Lystrosaurus), with scaly green skin and no hair apart from possible eyelashes. The eyes I colored brown because I wasn’t sure what would look good, but my own eyes are brown, and I thought that if this character was going to represent me, then I might as well put a little bit of myself into it. :p

I decided not to give my Lystrosaurus visible ears, because I couldn’t think of a way to draw them without making them look weird. I may redraw this image sometime, however, and when I do, I may try to add ears.

If I were to draw this character again, one detail I would want to do differently is the connection of the head to the neck. I feel like the wrinkles on the back of the neck should align more with the line of the lower jaw, to indicate a skull shape that looks more realistic.

One feature of my Lystrosaurus that I’m actually very happy with the expression, because to me it comes off as very ambiguous. Sometimes I look at the avatar and think it looks happy (the corner of the mouth forming a slight smirk); other times shy, nervous, curious, or uncertain. Maybe it depends on what mood I’m in. :P: In any case, I hope that if and when I make a new Lystrosaurus avatar, I can make the expression as good as this one's. :yes

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Well, it's about time :p
I certainly look forward to commenting on your artwork, and hope that I can stay focused long enough to give you helpful feedback :lol

Many people tell me I’m a good artist, but truthfully, I’m not a very confident one. I’m often reluctant to even get started on a piece of artwork, because it’s such a painstaking process for me. I have a shaky hand, so I have trouble drawing lines smoothly; I make a lot of mistakes, so I erase frequently; I have a hard time with proportion and scaling because I’m poor at visualizing my drawings ahead of time; I’ve never learned how to add dimension, shading, and texture to my pictures; and I have a tendency to misjudge the size of my drawings and run out of space on the paper. :bang
My advice to you is this:
When practicing, draw quickly and often with no thought about the final product. Draw from reference, from life, and from your imagination. Focus on shapes and masses instead of outlines. Use pen so that you aren't tempted to erase :smile (Not necessary, but it works for me!) Most importantly, have fun! Your brain functions more effectively when it isn't all stressed out.
When working on a piece that you intend to finish, if you don't like the initial sketch, instead of trying to fix it, decide what you don't like about it then leave it and start a new one.

Keep in mind that these aren't surefire methods, just things that have helped me a lot. In the end everyone functions differently, and so everyone's going to have their own unique ideal. Always try new things :yes

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/
Dude! I love your art. your way better then I am. Lystrosaurus looks great.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I saw this in your pb account. ^^ All of it.

This is way too awesome. Your attention of detail when it comes to dinosaurs really shows. :yes

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for the advice, DarkWolf. :) I'll have to learn to draw shapes and masses before I can work on focusing on them, though. :oops I do use references A LOT when I'm drawing (often multiple ones for any single picture). I haven't done a lot of life drawings, though, precisely because I don't know how to draw shapes that look three-dimensional. Also, an unfortunate thing about me is that I tend to see almost everything I do as a task; something I need to do and want to do well. :rolleyes I guess I'll have to learn to overcome my perfectionist instincts. It's exactly like I said about not being a very confident artist; for all of the compliments I get, my methods have many flaws, and my own skills and talents are actually very limited.

Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 16 2010 on  08:16 PM
Better than you? Oh please! :rolleyes: Even your ALIEN drawings from three years ago were more detailed than my pictures! You're WAY ahead of me in the shading and texture departments. (You're great at making SPORE critters, too. :yes)

Nevertheless, I'm flattered. Thank you. :)

Quote from: Rat_lady7,Aug 16 2010 on  08:48 PM

This is way too awesome. Your attention of detail when it comes to dinosaurs really shows. :yes
Aw, you've already seen all of the artwork I've uploaded? Couldn't wait, eh? :p I hope you'll still comment and mention specific things you like, dislike, etc. about my drawings when I post them here. ;)

Anyway, thank you very much for the comment. :)

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Aug 16 2010 on  08:16 PM
Thank you very much for the advice, DarkWolf. :) I'll have to learn to draw shapes and masses before I can work on focusing on them, though. :oops I do use references A LOT when I'm drawing (often multiple ones for any single picture). I haven't done a lot of life drawings, though, precisely because I don't know how to draw shapes that look three-dimensional. Also, an unfortunate thing about me is that I tend to see almost everything I do as a task; something I need to do and want to do well. :rolleyes I guess I'll have to learn to overcome my perfectionist instincts. It's exactly like I said about not being a very confident artist; for all of the compliments I get, my methods have many flaws, and my own skills and talents are actually very limited.

Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 16 2010 on  08:16 PM
Better than you? Oh please! :rolleyes: Even your ALIEN drawings from three years ago were more detailed than my pictures! You're WAY ahead of me in the shading and texture departments. (You're great at making SPORE critters, too. :yes)

Nevertheless, I'm flattered. Thank you. :)

Quote from: Rat_lady7,Aug 16 2010 on  08:48 PM

Aw, you've already seen all of the artwork I've uploaded? Couldn't wait, eh? :p I hope you'll still comment and mention specific things you like, dislike, etc. about my drawings when I post them here. ;)

Anyway, thank you very much for the comment. :)
yeah, but I could never reproduce the style of the LBT movies without going extreme with Details (scales and Spikes etc).

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Yay, it was about time!  :lol:
First of all: THAT is one awesome pen!  :o  :smile

As for advice, you could try tracing some pictures first to have a 'feeling' how certain parts are drawn. I used to trace a character first, then as reference and then completely without and it worked (for me at least :p). You could also draw these help circles to help you determine the body shape and then start working on the details. :)

I used to draw a little box on the top left corner with an extremely rough sketch with circles and lines inside. It helped me show how the picture should look like in the end and I knew through the box how large I had to draw. :^.^:

And like DarkWolf said, having fun is still the best method!  :D
I hope these methods can help you at least a little. I'm looking forward to see your next works. :)

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Also, an unfortunate thing about me is that I tend to see almost everything I do as a task; something I need to do and want to do well.  I guess I'll have to learn to overcome my perfectionist instincts.
Ah, I know what you mean. I used to feel the same way, so when I first started life drawing, I was extremely self-conscious about it. I used to hide my work from people because, inevitably, when a person accustomed to slow precision drawing first takes up the approach, the result is atrocious :p
But I kept at it, and kept at it, and I believe after a rough-and-tumble year of no-gos I finally started to get the hang of the thing.
But then I'm the kind of person who will beat my head against a rock until it breaks if said rock shows any sign of weakness :lol It isn't for everybody. If you feel like you can't have fun with it, don't do it.
It's exactly like I said about not being a very confident artist; for all of the compliments I get, my methods have many flaws, and my own skills and talents are actually very limited.
No such thing as a flawed method :smile
It's all just a means to an end, and the end you want to reach will determine the means you use.
I don't find your skills and talents limited at all! It seems to me that you've got ample determination, patience, a good eye and extensive research backing you up! I always love seeing your work and reading the intricate explanations that accompany it :yes The compliments are well deserved, and I certainly mean that.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I can't really give any good drawing advice since it isn't my area of expertise, though I like the 'Pangaea' logo you used for your signature at the top.  Why don't you post the pictures of Siak and the art you made for me for my birthday as well?

Caustizer.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I feel so honored to have two of the greatest artists on the GOF commenting in my art thread and giving me advice on doing artwork. :o :DD

Thanks, both of you. :) I’ll try to keep your methods in mind, and if I forget (as I often do :rolleyes), I’ll refer back to your posts when I’m doing artwork in the future. :yes

DarkWolf and Sky, do either of you have any thoughts on my avatar you'd like to share? What do you think of the expression, the design, etc.?

Quote from: Sky,Aug 19 2010 on  07:39 AM
Yay, it was about time! :lol:
First of all: THAT is one awesome pen! :o :smile
Thanks. :smile I can't even remember where I got it, but it's been my favorite pen to use to sign things (mainly cards and pictures for friends and family members) for years now, even before I got back into LBT. I have a BIG collection of pensósome shaped like fish; others lizards, lobster claws, a cactus, even a bendy one that looks like an earthworm (though the ink's long dried up)óbut I find that I particularly like this one.

Quote from: Caustizer,Aug 19 2010 on  12:41 PM
I can't really give any good drawing advice since it isn't my area of expertise, though I like the 'Pangaea' logo you used for your signature at the top. Why don't you post the pictures of Siak and the art you made for me for my birthday as well?
Thanks for the comment about the signature! :DD And the Siak picture was going to be the third piece I posted (I'm planning to post artwork I've already done in chronological order; first my avatar, then my dinosona, then Siak, and so on). And I was going to ask you about whether it was okay to post your star day card in this thread. Guess that answers my question. :smile

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
hey Pangaea, if your looking to give your drawings a more darker look, and to help give them size, you can add shadows to them like I do. or atleast, thats what I do to try to give my drawings scale (don't always work unfortunantly) but it could work for ya. just throwing in some ideas.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks. :)

Yeah, I wish I knew how to do realistic shadows and shading. :rolleyes I find it difficult, especially since my present medium is paper and colored pencil. I like the coloring on my drawings to look solid, not full of the little texturey spaces you get when you color lightly with a pencil, so I generally press down as hard as I can without breaking the pencil tip, so that the color is laid down densely. Unfortunately, that also means the shade of the color is very uniform, and it's hard to make the coloring darker in places where there should be shading. Plus, I'm often too afraid of ruining the drawing to try shading. :rolleyes Maybe I should learn by printing out copies of colored drawings and practicing shading on them.

By the way, the fact that you know how to shade your drawings is one reason why your comment that you thought I was a better artist than you surprised me. :p

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
some people think I'm modest about my work. but your stuff is still quite good.

Actualy, I always find it best to add the shadows with pencil and color it later (though I usualy never color my stuff. too hard for me to get the color I am looking for) though, I usualy add completely black shadows not light shaded shadows as most people do. mainly so I can give the pic a dark tone.

I can also recomend to do exactly as you stated. to sketch the pic. scane it. then print a copy for coloring. this is a verry good idea. it'll also come in handy incase you wish to make diffrent animals of the same design but with diffrent colors.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, it’s taken me for-freaking-ever, but I’ve finally gotten around to updating this thread.

This picture, the second piece of LBT-based artwork I completed, is my LBT dinosona: myself as a LBT dinosaur. I made it shorly after I first joined the “In The Land Before Time” RP, in which GOF members visit the LBT world, with the option of having dinosaur forms. I chose Microraptor (the same species as Guido), because I wanted a kind of dinosaur that no one else had taken as a dinosona, and one that I thought represented me well. I share numerous traits with Guido, and have long imagined that it could be interesting if he met another of his own species, so he seemed like a natural choice. At the time, Guido was also one of the few characters whom no one was playing in the RP at the time, and since I needed a character for my dinosona to regularly interact with, felt like I could portray him believably, and thought that having me meet him could make for some fun situations, I requested to play him. I wanted my fellow RPers to have an idea of what I looked like, and decided what better way to provide them with such an image than an illustration? I originally posted this image in the “Dinosonas” thread. You can view the post (which also includes a personality profile) here. (This version of the picture has been cleaned up on Photoshop.)

Unsurprisingly, Guido was my primary reference for this picture. I looked at several screenshots from LBT XII while drawing it. However, although I like Guido’s character, I’m honestly not that fond of his design, because I thought that he didn’t look enough like a Microraptor. I reasoned that, since he wasn’t quite fully grown (I see him as a young teenager personally), he would look a little different as an adult. Since Microraptor is a member of the raptor family, I gave my dinosona a longer snout, thicker tail, and more horizontal posture, similar to a fast biter (though I don’t think I actually looked at fast biters for reference). He still doesn’t look much like a real Microraptor, but it’s about the best that I can reasonably do. :p

The hands are proportionately smaller than Guido’s, because Guido’s hands seem to follow the cartoon bird tradition of converting his wing feathers into fingers whenever he requires the use of hands. Microraptor, however, had actual hands, and thus this would not be necessary (I’m not a big fan of “feather-fingers”, anyway). I considered putting claws on his fingers (and his toes as well), but since Guido doesn’t have visible nails on any of his digits, I decided it would look too odd. I only drew one visible hand, because hands are a pain to draw, :p and I figured that the left one would simply be hidden behind the wing feathers. Now that I look at it, though, it looks a little strange (Next time I draw him, I’ll probably draw both hands visible).

I don’t have much experience in drawing expressions, but I tried to make my dinosona look shy, friendly, and a little nervous, in keeping with my own personality. I depicted him in this picture as tentatively stepping forward to greet someone, his right arm and hand outstretched in a timid wave (I usually hold my hand low when I wave to someone I don’t know well).

From the beginning, I had a vision of how I wanted my LBT Microraptor self be colored. Originally I envisioned him as having darker colors: a maroon body with a tawny yellow underside and golden head and tail plumes. However, when I was coloring the picture, I couldn’t find a shade of colored pencil that fit my original vision, so I just went with the darkest red I could find (Next time I’ll try to find an even darker one). I chose red because it’s a color I like, not many LBT dinosaurs are that color, and it’s a color that tends to be associated with me. My hair has a slight reddish tinge to it, and I often wear red or maroon shirts. I also had a down comforter (I still have it, but have replaced it due to its age) that was red on one side and light beige on the other (similar to my dinosona’s colors). Whenever I wrapped myself in it and held the sides out, I’d look a little like this character. :p

Adult Microraptor were about three feet long, and I imagined my dinosona as not being much bigger than that; one-and-a-half to two feet tall at most. Of course, since we don’t know the exact sizes of the LBT characters, it’s been hard for me to determine how large that would make him in comparison. I’ve described him in the RP as being half again as large as Guido, and tall enough to look Cera in the eye. I have yet to check how large he would actually look in comparison, however, and whether those two standards of measurement are even mutually compatible. :unsure:

DarkWolf gave me some much-appreciated feedback on this picture when I first posted it. Her main point of constructive criticism related to the posture of the spine, which she thought looked hunched (probably due to the overly sharp indentation where the back meets the shoulders) and too horizontal given the design of the legs and feet, which are more or less the same as Guido’s (who stands much more upright).

The next time I draw my dinosona, I’ll probably have him standing on his toes, which hopefully will allow me to keep the foot design but still make his feet look like they are supporting him believably. My logic is that adult two legged dinosaurs in LBT usually stand on their toes, even if their young walk flat-footed (Chomper and Ducky are examples of this).  I also may make his spine slightly more diagonal, since in this picture he is taking a step forward, and many bipedal LBT dinosaurs adopt a horizontal stance when they are walking, with a more upright posture when they are standing in place.

I like to think that my dinosona represents me quite well. He’s a small and virtually harmless dinosaur (a real Microraptor could give you an unpleasant bite and some painful scratches, but would probably be no more dangerous to a human than a hawk or falcon), much as I am introverted and non-confrontational, but at the same time, he is hard to miss due to his bright colors and bizarre appearance, reflecting my desire to be noticed and recognized. One detail I might add to him the next time I draw him is some short, bushy feathers on the sides of his face, mirroring my prominent facial hair. :p

Vek

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Kaelvek
Quote from: Pangaea on  
but I tried to make my dinosona look shy, friendly, and a little nervous

You did not tried... You succeed !

Only 2 thing i notice: The right elbow seem too sharp. And the color of the feet. I dont know what color the raptor ou microraptor was but the bird have yellow feet or something like that, but they are not the same color than the feathers. After writing this, i looked screenshots of Guido and he have the feet at the same color than his feathers, so forget that.

Oh, can you give me a description of the word "Dinosona" ? Google don't want translate it...  :confused

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, shoot! I thought I'd already responded to this! Sorry for the delay! :oops

Guido has rather pointed elbows, but I agree that I probably made it a little too sharp.

“Dinosona” is a term coined by Rat_lady7. It just means a dinosaur persona; a dinosaur character based on yourself. Her thread for dinosonas can be seen here.

Thank you very much for your comment and critique. :) I'm glad you think I succeeded in making the character express the emotions I wanted. :smile

Vek

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Kaelvek
Phew, i tought it was a dumb question...

Thanks for the explanation, so that's the exact word i was looking for my character, instead of fan-character.

Now i can go sleep while feeling more inteligent  :smile

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Hmm... I think you did well with his expression. :^.^:

His elbow though, as Vek already mentioned, does look too sharp. His leg at the back also looks shorter than the other leg and his wings are probably a little too small.
That's all I have noticed. :)

Well, I have seen that picture before, but I like this much cleaner version much better. :^.^: I also like the little marking on his neck rather than a straight line from head to shoulder. ;)
Hehe... now all you need to do is to shade this little masterpiece of yours.  :lol

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks for commenting, Sky :) (and sorry for taking so long to address your comment :oops).

I’m glad you think the expression looks good. Looking at it, I’m rather happy with how it turned out myself. Expressions are something I have an extremely hard time with; I’m so lousy at drawing eyebrows. :rolleyes

You’re right, now that you mention it…the wings don’t look large enough. Part of the reason they’re this size is that I didn’t have any more room on the paper (and if I get larger paper I can’t scan the picture :bang). Also, I was afraid that if I made his arms much longer, they’d look disproportionate themselves. I could probably make the feathered part of the wing larger, though I’d have to worry about it being so large that the feathers drag on the ground.

I don’t see a problem with the leg lengths myself, though. :confused They are in slightly different positions; maybe that has something to do with it. Looking at the arms, however, it occurs to me that the left one looks shorter than the right one. :slap

The little zigzag on his neck is just based on what Guido has; I believe it’s meant to indicate a feather on his neck that doesn’t quite line up with the others.

Ah, yes. Shading. That’s yet another area of drawing that I’m completely clueless on. :rolleyes :oops

I think the next picture I draw of my dinosona will be a profile view, in which I’ll try to get his proportions just right and get a perfect idea of the character’s anatomy. I’d really like to get a picture of him in flight, too, though the image I have in mind is one that I’d expect to be an extremely difficult drawing endeavor by my standards.