The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Lonely Longneck

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile

THE LAND BEFORE TIME XVI: THE LONELY LONGNECK

CHARACTERS

Littlefoot Male Apatosaurus (Longneck/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Cera Female Triceratops (Threehorn/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Ducky Female Sauralophus (Swimmer/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Petrie Male Pteranodon (Flyer/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Spike Male Stegosaurus (Spiketail/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Shorty Male Brachiosaurus (Longneck/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Bron Male Apatosaurus (Longneck/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Grandpa Longneck Male Apatosaurus (Longneck/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Grandma Longneck Female Apatosaurus (Longneck/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Topps Male Triceratops (Threehorn/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Tria Female Triceratops (Threehorn/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Tricia Female Triceratops (Threehorn/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Dayo (OC) Female Brachiosaurus (Longneck/Flattooth) Alignment: Good

Allosaurus Pack Mixed Allosaurus (Sharptooth) Alignment: Bad

Littlefoot and his friends were playing, as usual. It was the middle of the day. The day seemed like any other. Hardly a cloud was in the sky. It had been rather hot, though not awful. Littlefoot and his friends went to go get water to drink.

"I am thirsty. I am. I am." said Ducky, eager to get water after playing in the hot day. Ducky ran to the water and dived in. She drank some and then spouted water out of her mouth like a fountain. The others ran in and joined her. Spike ran and jumped in, doing a cannonball. They all got splashed.

"Hey!" said Topps, who was grazing and got hit by the water too.

"Oops, sorry Mr. Threehorn." said Littlefoot.

They continued to splash in the water, not bothered by anything. Ducky, who had grown some, was splashing water at Petrie. He dove in, splashed his wing against the water, and splash water in her face. Spike accidentally tooted in the water, blowing bubbles around his tush.

"Spike!" groaned the others.

"Oops." said Spike, embarrassed.

The wind blew gently on the air, making a nice breeze. "That feels better." said Grandpa Longneck, who was thinking of going into the water himself. He wished he could be young like the kids again. He missed those days. He had seen bad things happen in the Mysterious Beyond though since his own childhood days. The worst thing to have happened to him in the Mysterious Beyond, though he'd not seen it, was the death of his only daughter, Arianna. She'd been killed by a Sharptooth.

They turned and heard twigs snapping. Someone was creeping along. Grandpa Longneck and his wife looked for the cause of the commotion. They saw a young female Longneck coming. She was Littlefoot's age. She had a scar on her cheek and seem traumatized by something. Grandma Longneck was concerned.

"What seems to be the trouble dear?" asked Grandma Longneck.

"Are there Sharpteeth here?" she asked, looking around her, panicky.

"No. No Sharpteeth here." said Grandpa Longneck.

"I need. I need water. So worn out." she said. She then fell to the ground and passed out. Littlefoot and his friends stared at her and gasped.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
CHAPTER ONE: DAYO

They all stood over the Longneck. Littlefoot saw that she was his age. She seemed dehydrated and also had a scar on her right eye. "Is she going to live?" he asked, concerned. The last Longneck that he'd seen die was his poor mother. He hoped never to have to see that again. And his mother had at least lived to have kids. This Longneck was so young. It didn't seem fair that the Circle of Life would come to a stop for her so soon. Littlefoot, though he didn't even know her, started to cry.

"It's not fair. She was only a kid. She can't die. She can't." he sobbed.

"She hasn't had water. We need to get her to it or we could lose her." said Grandpa Longneck.

The group all moved her, working together. They placed her in water. Littlefoot prodded her. "Wake up. Please wake up. Please." he said, still bleary-eyed. Her chest was moving weakly. "Please live. Please." begged Littlefoot. A tear fell from his eye and landed on her. Slowly, she moved.

"Where am I?" she said, stirring feebly.

"You are in the Great Valley." said Grandma Longneck.

"Where?" said the Longneck.

"It's a safe place for Leaf Eaters." said Grandpa Longneck.

"There are no safe places. Sharpteeth are everywhere!" she cried. She took off and tried to find a place to hide.

"What's with her?" said Topps.

"She's been in the heat of the Bright Circle too long. However, personally, I think it's more than that. I think she's been through some kind of trauma." said Grandpa Longneck.

She ran, very afraid. She ran right into the Sinking Sands, not paying attention to where she was going. "Help!" she cried.

Grandma and Grandpa Longneck were able to pull her out She spat out mud. "Eccccccccccccccchhhh!" she said.

"You gave us quite a fright little one." said Grandpa Longneck.

"I'm scared." she said, looking around.

"There is nothing here to be afraid of." Grandma Longneck reassured her.

"The Sharpteeth. They were chasing me. What happened? Am I dead?" she asked.

"No little one. You are here with us in the Great Valley." said Grandpa Longneck.

"Hello, I'm Littlefoot." said Littlefoot. He thought she seemed really nice, albeit paranoid.

"Hello Littlefoot. I am Dayo." she said. Littlefoot could tell that she was really shy. She was the same species as Shorty but was blue colored.

Littlefoot saw the scar around her right eye. "How'd you get that?" he asked.

"Sharptooth." she replied.

"Poor dear. You need a rest. Come get something to eat." said Grandma Longneck.

She went with them and ate Tree Stars. She was really shy. Littlefoot could sense that there was pain in her. Something was wrong.

Dayo went and took a nap. Littlefoot was worried about her. He wasn't the only one. "That girl gave us quite a fright." said Topps.

"She obviously is bothered by something.' said Grandpa Longneck.

"Do you think she will be all right?" Littlefoot asked his grandfather.

"I think that her health will be fine. However, I worry about what else may have happened to her. She seems to have gone through some kind of stress. The effects of that may last a lot longer than her thirst and hunger problem." said Grandpa Longneck.

When Dayo awoke, Littlefoot asked if she wanted to play. She said that she did. They played Toss the Seed and many other games. She was really playful and was really good at the games. However, when they decided to play Sharptooth attack, she freaked out and refused.

"What's with her?" grumbled Cera.

"A Sharptooth attack is not a game!" said Dayo sternly.

"I know. I lost my Mother to one." said Littlefoot.

"I'm so sorry." said Dayo. She headed to go get leaves from a tree. However, she clumsily bumped into a branch, knocking a ton of Tree Sweets onto her head. Cera laughed, but Littlefoot scowled at her, glaring at her with his eyes. Cera shut up.

"Are you ok?" asked Littlefoot.

"I'm fine. There are worse things that can happen to one than being conked on the head by Tree Sweets." said Dayo. She began to lick herself clean.

Littlefoot knew that there was something troubling Dayo. "Is there something bothering you?" he asked her in a concerned tone.

"I don't want to talk about it now." she said. Littlefoot saw tears forming in her eye. He wondered what it was that so troubled her.

"Littlefoot, you have some visitors." came Grandpa Longneck's voice. Littlefoot ran and saw Shorty and Bron.

"Hello son." said Bron.

"Dad!" said Littlefoot.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Note: Dayo is going to turn out to be somewhat similar to Shorty.  I've decided to try and give Shorty a backstory in this one.   Somebody on Fanfic.net asked me to do one with an OC named Dayo.   They asked me to have other things about her too, but you'll find out about that as the story progresses.  

I have plans for her to be "Mrs. Shorty" in the future.  

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
CHAPTER TWO: SHORTY AND DAYO

"How are things around here?" asked Bron.

"Oh, not much. We had some bad encounters with Sharp Beaks and met a new half-Sharp Beak friend named Ptero." said Littlefoot.

Bron shook his head. Littlefoot tended to make the strangest friends. "Oh, and we just found a new Longneck named Dayo. She came here alone and really weak. Something is bothering her but she won't talk about it." said Littlefoot.

Bron said nothing. What Littlefoot had said had triggered an old memory of his. Bron came across the Longnecks. They were all kids. However, a green one was the leader. He was weak. He had taken care of the others and had led them through hard places, looking for food. He appeared to have sometimes gone without to help the younger ones. "Where are your parents?" he asked then, assuming them to all be family at first glance. However, he soon saw that some of them were different types of Longnecks.

The young Longneck leader said "I don't want to talk about it."

"What's your name kid?" Bron asked.

"Shorty." the kid replied.

Bron returned his thoughts to the present. "Is she all right?" he asked.

"She is healthy again, though still troubled. She doesn't want to talk about it." said Littlefoot. Bron sighed.

[To Be Continued]