The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Petrie Showcase - June 2019

rhombus · 26 · 11938

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Petrie, you're on!

Ummm.... well, I'm sure he will regain consciousness soon...  :opetrie

In this topic please feel free to discuss Petrie as a character, to share your own creations (fanfics or fanart), or to mention some of your favorite fanworks of others involving this character.  For a full set of rules please see the Monthly Character Showcase topic but keep in mind that this is meant to be fun as opposed to any sort of contest.

I will go ahead and get the discussion started with two somewhat related questions concerning our favorite grammar-challenged flyer:

1) Has your perspective on Petrie changed over the course of the films and, if so, how so?; and

2) What are your thoughts overall on Petrie as a character?

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
Ummm.... well, I'm sure he will regain consciousness soon...  :opetrie

Petrie: (regains consciousness) Uh, ... it s-safe to come out now? :opetrie

Ducky: Do not worry, Petrie. They are not going to hurt you. Nope, nope, nope. :duckyhappy

Ah, yes. That cute little guy. Everyone's lovable "Eyes in the Sky!" What can I say? Well, sometimes I feel that simply his presence is enough to put even the faintest smile on your face. In that perspective, I'm sorta aiming towards his scenes in LBT IX. I know that "Imaginary Friend" song was not the greatest, but I think his cute voice and simply his presence alone took some of that negativity away and shed some positive light on him. To be honest, I thought he was just adorable in that movie, and I can't really think of other reasons other than those I've already pointed out. :smile

1) Has your perspective on Petrie changed over the course of the films and, if so, how so?; and

When I first watched the original film, I really didn't have to many thoughts about Petrie. We never saw him hatch, and I was left wondering if he was just some kind of "nobody" with no family or no real ambitions, but after the end of the film, I knew I was wrong. With each sequel, I gradually found him to be quite a cute, little guy, especially with Jeff Bennett in the role. Once I saw the seventh film, he became my favorite character, and that hasn't changed since! :smile The twelfth film especially effected the way I saw him, and it gave me some ideas about how he may have had a rough family history.

Oh, and need I say more about his friendship with Ducky? :duckyhappy I ... think I've already worn that subject out. LOL!

2) What are your thoughts overall on Petrie as a character?

Petrie is absolutely adorable! Hands down! I think the way I had Ducky described him in my "Secret Love" story says it all; his "squeakily" voice, his small size and cute looks, not to mention his "smiley face." He may be afraid to try new things, and he'd probably much rather be relaxing with his snuggling stick or flying in a rather peaceful sky, but deep down, he's a loving and friendly character, and motivation can drive him into being the brave one when he needs to. To this day, I think that saving Guido from the Sailback in LBT XII was the bravest thing I ever saw him do.
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I figured you would be first to post their thoughts on this topic, Diddy.  :OhYou What it comes to Petrie, he has always been one of my favorite characters in the series. His distinct parlance is certainly fun and even more interesting to listen. And let's not forget how brave he can be when the situation demands it. Like encountering Sharptooth face-to-face, even though he must have been very frightened indeed.  :^^spike

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Why do I love his broken English dialect so much? Petrie is the embodiment of cuteness overload, I'll say. He may seem cowardly and afraid most of the time, but he's always able to muster enough courage to be there for his friends when the situation gets dire. That's what I call true bravery folks. He can definitely face his fears quite well when the time comes.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
You know, we could sure do with a smiling Petrie emote, seeing that this forum doesn't have one yet. How's about this cute piece I made last year? Anyone who's willing to make a smiling Petrie emote out of this, you have my permission. :yes

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Did you make that yourself, Diddy? That is some great work indeed! Yes, I think that we deserve to have a smiling Petrie. :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@DiddyKF1  :)petrie

Lovely drawing by the way! You should join in to the Fanart Prompts sometime! :D

Oh Petrie! Your funny little speech does not define who you are, but does contribute to your lovely personality. A flyer who is afraid of flying, and also generally afraid of everything else, who eventually overcomes his worries and shows immense courage to help his friends. I'm sure many people can see themselves in you, being afraid of things people think are 'normal' to do, and look up to you as a hero and an example of what could be. I just recently learned that the original script intended for you just to whistle, rather than to speak, but I'm glad they gave you a proper voice. Keep on flip, flap and flying! ♪

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Hehe! :)petrie Nice emote! Me love it! :smile

Maybe I should try it out sometime. You know, it's funny that I've been practicing my Diddy Kong cartoon voice for years, and only recently has it kinda become a Petrie voice as well. Now, it seems as though I may end up having a very similar sounding voice for both characters. I once auditioned for Diddy in a fan video project, but I didn't make the cut. I've sorta given up on that in favor of maybe trying out for Petrie sometime. I'm 26 and I naturally have quite a deep voice, but the kid side of me is still in there and I can still reach those high pitches! :duckyhappy

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, you can! We have a project going on where members can voice the characters in the first movie. No one has sent me any recordings for months, so if you'd like to give Petrie a shot, check out the topic here: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=12092.0

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
First of all, nice pic @DiddyKF1!

Alright, it's Petrie! Everyone's favorite third-person speaker and quivering flyer. Like Ducky, he has a goofy speech impediment which lends him much, much endearment.

I've mentioned this before and even chatted with Sovereign about this once on Discord, but I'll say it again: I personally prefer Jeff Bennett over Will Ryan as Petrie, so much so that the very depiction of Petrie that many of the more enthusiastic fans tend to remember is Bennett and the sequels' take on him — compare "My name Petrie!" in the first film compared to "Me Petrie!" in pretty much all the sequels. There's just something about his more broken English and more childish (and pouty at times) voice in the later sequels just makes him more endearing, and it's usually this more-broken squeaky speech that we remember fondly about him.

Perhaps part of the reason that is so is because the pacing of the first LBT after its script was cut all over the place does not lend itself well to Petrie. Significantly, he lacks a hatch scene when everyone else has one, which means he first appears almost halfway in the film's runtime as a result, and he tends to share scenes with Ducky, who usually steals his thunder as a result. He does get a spectacular end scene with Sharptooth where he learns how to fly at last, but that is probably his singular standout magnum opus scene in the whole film. He's not bad per se, he just doesn't stick out as much.

Petrie in general gets a whole lot more development and the chance to shine in the numerous sequel films, especially in Stone of Cold Fire and Great Day of the Flyers where they delve into his history and relationship with his family. In fact, in the sequels in general, they focus on the entire gang as a whole, which coupled with his newfound kinda-overpowered flight as well as his family finally gives him quite the spotlight. Him being the sole one able to fly usually grants him special scenes where the others rely on his aerial abilities. And like countless others have said before me, they also take his trait of being brave when the situation demands for it from the first film and use it in spades. For being such a lovable coward, he really faces up to his fears quite a lot! Seeing those scenes where his face and voice turns determined is always a spectacle to behold.

So yeah, my perspective of Petrie has improved significantly over the years, to the point where he's now my favorite of the whole bunch. In fact, I relate to him a lot — I'm dead terrified of ghosts, heights, and lightning too. So, uh, may the winds be with you forevermore, Petrie!
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree with Iris Diddy, you should totally join in on the fanart prompts one day! Also I see you got your wish with a nice happy Petrie emote!  :)petrie

Managed to sneak by to get my sketch done on time! Looks like Petrie has been getting some bad influence from a certain someone  :thinking

I have to admit that out of the gang of seven, Petrie falls into 2nd last for me. I've never really enjoyed his goofy voice and incorrect grammar and his delegation to comedic relief has been hit and miss with me.

It's hard not to admire his bravery when the time comes though. Given how much more frightened he is then every one else I would say that would technically make him the bravest of the gang

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
(hey, sneaking by is my job!)

Like this drawing!

Though... I am scared for Petrie. Here he looks alike Pterano, and not with very good expression... Hope he didn't catch his uncle's dark side influence.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That is a very brilliant drawing from you, Flathead! It looks pretty smooth and very skilled work that has been done with time and will to make it as good as possible. When I look at these drawings that people have made, I remember those days of my childhood, when I used to draw myself. Of course, my drawings were nothing special and it was a long time ago that I have since completely forgotten about. But it is gratifying to see how others use their own time to do such things. And yeah, I'm getting Pterano vibes, right now when looking at this drawing. Overall, good work from you as always! :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Absolutely amazing pose for Petrie there, Flathead! Nice work :)petrie

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Others have already said this, but that pose is very Pterano... I think he does the exact same determined expression in LBT7. The shading is great, and that expression seems suitably epic yet unsettling for Petrie.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Nice drawing, Flathead! Um, yeah, ... it does seem like Petrie has decided to become like his uncle after all.

Evil cannot hide cuteness in that picture, though! :lol No matter what Petrie becomes, it seems he'll always be adorable!

:PCera "You are so adorable!"

:)petrie "Me no adorable! Me serious and formidable!" :anger

:PCera "Awwwww!"

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh wow thanks everyone! I honestly didn't expect people to like this drawing that much as it was rushed in about 2 or 3 days.  :DD

(hey, sneaking by is my job!)
My apologies  :PCera

When I look at these drawings that people have made, I remember those days of my childhood, when I used to draw myself. Of course, my drawings were nothing special and it was a long time ago that I have since completely forgotten about. But it is gratifying to see how others use their own time to do such things.
I would highly recommend giving drawing another shot if it's been a long time. That was the same thing I did when I started drawing LBT art 2 years ago.

:PCera "You are so adorable!"

:)petrie "Me no adorable! Me serious and formidable!" :anger

:PCera "Awwwww!"
Haha reminds me of LBT3.
"I'm not going to play a game with a couple of babies"
"Me no baby, me big!"
"Yeah, big baby!"

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Petrie is probably the lowest on my list of favourite gang members.

I don't find to much likeable or dislikeable about him in any of the movies. 9 and 12 I think were very good at expanding on Petrie's family and his relationship with them as well as his uncle and being the odd one out is something I can relate to but not in terms of family. I find him mildly funny and I think his biggest growth was in the original in overcoming his fear of heights and in the movies mentioned above which establishes how he finds his place in his family and who his idol is. I also notice that ever since his first flight he often gets sudden cases of bravado in live or death situations like in the 3 when he dives into the tar to help Hyp or when he saves Ducky in movie 2.

I do however find him a bit too childish and naïve at times but those are my only real problems with him.

I do also like his relationship with Ducky, without another of their own kind and age around they make good friends on borderline crush and I like how they often support each other. It would be an interesting Fanfic idea to put Ducky and Petrie in a closer relationship then friends but not quite lovers and half one if their own kind and age coming into the mix. The drama would certainly be an interesting idea. Also great work with the artwork up there guys. 
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Great work again, Flathead! As for Petrie, he’s a very interesting part of the Gang as his personality and ability to fly give him many characteristics closed to his friends. His shyness and nervousness are often quite relatable and offer many new dynamics inside the Gang. One of my favorite things about his character was his change from a purely comic character in the original into a more “normal” one in the sequels and I overall prefer the latter portrayal of him.

Of course, in some scenes he is just purely stupid, most notable with his praise of his uncle that somewhat lower his score in my eyes. However, he is still willing to learn from his mistakes which is always an admirable trait. It has been good to see him being featured in so many fanfics as well even though I am far from happy with him being shipped with Ducky that often. But despite that, it is always great to see or read more about Petrie’s many adventures.

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
It has been good to see him being featured in so many fanfics as well even though I am far from happy with him being shipped with Ducky that often. But despite that, it is always great to see or read more about Petrie’s many adventures.

On the subject of fanfics, we haven't really discussed that in this month's topic yet. The last few months, in particular, have really delved into deep territory with Petrie, including your own "Separate Ways." Right now, we've got two tense adventure fanfics brewing with Petrie in the spotlight, and they've both been very intriguing, mainly because of the fact that he was forced into these adventures, one of them through no fault of his own. :opetrie

I honestly think that my own fanfic, "The Hurting of Desire," ventured into extreme territory essentially defining what he possibly could be, even though I clinically overdid it. The fact that we have never seen his father has stirred up so many theories about his fate, and certain films like "The Stone of Cold Fire" and "The Great Day of the Flyers" further inspired the ideas of a miserable family life, much more miserable than movies VII and XII make it out to be. Lately, I've kinda worn that out on numerous fanfics, but while it was fresh, I could almost feel myself being in Petrie's eyes and genuinely feeling the pain he went through in those stories. :opetrie

And yeah, I'm a sinner when it comes to DuckyxPetrie shipping! :)petrie I further expressed that by coming up with the idea that interspecies relationships are forbidden in the Great Valley, the punishment for which would be immediate and permanent banishment from the Great Valley. Just imagine how that could have ended up. :opetrie