The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Marine Photography

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Right, since I'm going Marine Biology at Uni and one of my subjects Marine Invertebrates involves a lot of photography I thought I might post some of the snaps I've taken of different kinds of Marine Wildlife. Enjoy.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Here is a photo of a Sea Urchin, this thing gave me a lot of scrapes while trying to get a good picture of it.

And here is a pic of a Shrimp, he was tricky to catch since he never stayed in one place for to long.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: The Lone Dragon,Mar 13 2016 on  04:38 AM
Here is a photo of a Sea Urchin, this thing gave me a lot of scrapes while trying to get a good picture of it.
Stepping on one of those guys is my biggest fear whenever I'm at the beach... Well, might as well contribute a bit with a couple of pictures I took at the Instituto Nacional de Pesca in Mexico a couple of weeks earlier. Like this turtle! :D
Click me!
Click me!
And one of those things which I can't really identify.
Click me!
Click me!

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Nice Pics  :yes I can identify the creature in the second pic that you weren't sure about. It's called a Horse Shoe Crab. A bottom dweller that may have 'crab' in the name but is not a true crab.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Lone Dragon,Mar 14 2016 on  03:16 AM
It's called a Horse Shoe Crab. A bottom dweller that may have 'crab' in the name but is not a true crab.
Thanks for clearing that up! I remember seeing those guys for the first time during my first trip to the Red Sea some 15 years ago... They sure gave me the creeps back then. :D
And here are some photos I took at the Sea Life in Bangkok. Unfortunately it was the last stop on a long and eventful tour around the capital of Thailand, so by the time we reached the oceanarium my camera ran out of battery and I had to resort to using my phone to take pictures... So please excuse their poor quality. :lol:
#1   #2   #3

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Poor quality? What are you talking about? These Photos are really cool. Grey Nurse Shark, Japanese Spider Crab and a Scorpion Fish. Very well done. Love the first pic with the Grey Nurses, I simply love those sharks they are one of my favourites. I've only dived with one before but I wish to try that again with even more. Nice Pics mate.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Those are some amazing pictures, Coyote_A and The Lone Dragon.  :) Thanks for sharing them with us!

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks! The sharks are one of the main attractions at that place. They make a show of feeding them before the guests and it's not as gruesome as it may sound. I have a video, but the only place I ever uploaded it to was my Facebook page, so I'm not sure how to share it here. :)

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Can Any of you guess what this is. It's a pic I took today of a creature I never believed I'd see. I know what it is now though. :smile Note, I took this photo from a microscope cam, this creature is smaller then the small toenail  

What do you think it is?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Uhh, a spider-like creature?:p

Nice photos btw! I'll keep an eye on this :)
Inactive, probably forever.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
It certainly is a Spider, a Marine Spider. This creature was only a cm long. I stumbled across it while taking some photographs of sponges and other such creatures. Got some more cool marine photos from that day.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You both do good work.  Very good work indeed.  Hope you both keep up doing that, if you really enjoy doing it.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Lone Dragon,Mar 19 2016 on  12:22 PM
It certainly is a Spider, a Marine Spider.
There's just no escaping them, eh? They'll get you even in the middle of the freaking ocean. :lol:

And here are some of the amazing sea creatures I've seen on my trip to the Maldives:
#1 - tiny calamari that pretend to be floating pieces of seaweed;
#2 - a crab of the local variety;
#3 - a stingray;
#4 - a weird fish of some kind that presumably can survive on the surface for short periods of time.

Quote from: Kor,Mar 19 2016 on  08:40 PM
You both do good work.  Very good work indeed.  Hope you both keep up doing that, if you really enjoy doing it.
Thanks, Kor! ;)

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Great shots mate :)littlefoot Also if you're wondering the last pic you have, the fish that can breath air is something I believe is called a mud skipper, the have both lungs and gills.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I love all your pictures! They are all so beautiful!
Maybe the unknown one is a sea spider?  I'm not sure  :lol
8 years with TGOF :yum

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Well here are some more marine photos. Sorry its been a while.

This was from a fieldtrip snorkel at Carlani right before I stumbled on a ray, pity I forgot the memory card for my cam :p

Oh crabs. Found this little guy at the same beach, It was tricky get though, he was a fast one, with only one claw. I was expected to know what gender it was. (Male)

and the last crab. Didn't have a very clear shot here but he is larger then my hand. Once saw him eating a fish I think, can't really remember what he was eating.

Keep an eye out for more photos coming soon ;)
Also the unknown creature is definitely a sea spider. I was also going to post a photo of a very well disguised decorator crab which looks like a rock but I seem to have lost the photo  :cry

Still At least I still got my other photos. :yes