The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Examination Boards

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay. My plan for keeping this organized is to make a screening process for examining plots/scripts. I've designed a screening process, and here it is.

Part One
The first part of the screening process is to submit a plot in this topic. The plot will be reviewed by a group of peers, and then passed by an examination board. If the plot passes the inspection, then the script for the plot can be written. If it fails the inspection, no script will be written until it is approved. The plot must be fairly detailed on what happens. Not as detailed as the script, but it must give a semi-detailed overview of what will happen in the play.

Part Two
The second part of the screening process is the script development stage. During this step, the script will be written and worked on until it the group that worked on said script think that the script is ready for inspection. Again, the script will go through an examination board, but the board will be much more rigorous than the first board. If the script passes, it will be put on the list of scripts to be made into an audio play. This will be reserved for the best of the best, though. If the script is rejected, then the script can be worked on again.

This will require two groups of examiners. I was thinking of having about 5 people on the plot examination board and 7-10 people on the script examination board. If you want to be on this board, post here, giving reasons why you should be on this board.

Just a note, I was planning on putting myself on the board, but I will write a review, just like you all, and have someone already approved for the boards judge whether I should be on the boards.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd like to help out, even in more the 1 capacity if possible.  I have written stories off and on for over a decade.   & have read quite a bit over more then 30 years.  Not sure if my being older then most would be a plus or a minus.  

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I really don't think we can actually make a "board of screeners" without all of the members owning a webcam.  It's just too hard to judge when it's not in real time.  If we can actually sit down to a 5 way conversation and discuss things, it would certainly mean that we get a better product in the end.  I have a couple of webcams and I would like to volunteer for the script examination part.  You definitely need a webcam for that part.  Writing everything down is just too inefficient.  I'm sure there are enough members here with webcams that we can make this possible.

I believe I would made a good candidate because I have fluent English, I am very "down to earth" when it comes to LBT, and people (especially my teachers) always comment on my writing skills.  When I say I'm "down to earth", I'm not saying that I only accept strict LBT with a strict plot or anything, but I know if something won't work out right.  The way I see it is if there will be significant difficulties making a audio play from the script, I don't want to wig wham it and just make due.  There should be a fair amount of leeway but if it's just too out there we can just forget it.  One example would be a script that required 30 voice actors.  That just wouldn't work.  No one could even remember the characters and we don't have that many actors.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
We don't necessarily need a webcam to do reviews. It would be a plus, but the necessary thing is screen-sharing. In my eyes, at least. And a whiteboard. A whiteboard would be a pro, too. Another thing: if you are applying for a part of the examination board, I would reccomend getting an account on www.dimdim.com so that the screeners could conference together to review better.

By the way, Kor, you seem as though you'd be good for both screening processes. Let's do lunch. :lol

Austin, You're in. As I said to Kor, let's do lunch.

Now, I need someone to review me. I do have a webcam, and I do occasionally write reviews for my school newspaper. I think that you'll find my resume to be supporting me getting this position. (Note: I'm applying for both plot and script screening.)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Now, I need someone to review me. I do have a webcam, and I do occasionally write reviews for my school newspaper. I think that you'll find my resume to be supporting me getting this position. (Note: I'm applying for both plot and script screening.)

I'd love to, but I can't do anything for another 19.5 hours.  It's getting late here.  If you can't find anyone else to review you, I'll do it but as I said the next time I'm available is in 19.5 hours.  Stupid school. <_<

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
If the participants in this project want me to I would be happy to do the reviewing. Everyone knows I'm very keen on making strickly land before time stories. That is not to say that every single minor conflict would be a major problem, but I assume that I would be stricter on keeping the land before time the land before time (no science fiction stuff etc.). If this is a good or a bad thing is for you to decide.
I also have the sense of realism to see which projects are realistic to tackle for us with what limited number of participants and limited experience we have. I guess it is important for the first project to be a success so as to encourage further projects. Because of that I would support a good short story for the beginning rather than too long and complex an epic (which we can still work with once we have the basic experience.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think that it would be good if you helped work on the examination board.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I may offer my services to a review board.  Like Malte, I'm a picky LBT customer, and to get the best stories, you need to zoom in on what is realistically viable in this series.  The only thing that may (can't tell yet, still too early) get in the way is my job.  I'm not modifying everything in sight yet, or are down to the nitty gritty on my graduate portfolio, though I suspect it will be some time before even one script is written in full.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay. I think that you would make a good addition to the board. I didn't want to make myself a part of the board, but since no one is willing to review my application, I guess I'll just join the board. I've also decided to make the script and plot examiners on the same board. In other words, the people who analyze the script also analyze the plot.

So here is the list of the board:
Austin (me)
Adam
Malte
The other Austin
Kor

We could add more people, making it maybe ten.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Too many cheifs, not enough Indians....five is plenty.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I tend to agree with Petrie.  Besides, most people won't have the bandwidth to carry on a webcam conversation with 4 other people simultaneously.  In fact, I think I'm probably the only one here who could do it in full quality.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just a piece of info, it doesn't have to be a webcam conference. All that is necessary is a way to show everyone else the script/plot that is being reviewed.

Since we have the board complete, should we schedule a conference soon? If so, when would it be best for you?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Time is a very tricky thing because we're all in different time zones.  The earliest I could possibly do this would be tomorrow at 5pm.  I'm using the Pacific time zone.  We can find out when we all have to meet by visiting this website and finding out when everyone's time is:

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
5 pm there is 8 pm here. That could work fairly well in America.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Sep 11 2008 on  06:53 PM
Too many cheifs, not enough Indians....five is plenty.
I wish you five luck with the online confrence.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Your 5pm means 2am on this end of the world though :(
This weekend Patrick (Nimrod) is over here for a visit and I cannot promise to be around at that time. Is there any chance of any date where you could get online earlier in your afternoon?
As for that conference, are we going to make it a webcamless MSN chat for a start, or do we mean to make it a Skype conference which (I think) would allow for webcams?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Any conversation I give will be in pure text.  I have no webcam.  As for times, any weekday, no earlier than 6pm EST, and that's still awfully late for Malte.  Weekends I can fudge and maybe get on earlier.  Of any of us, I probably will have the hardest time.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Sep 12 2008 on  04:15 AM
As for that conference, are we going to make it a webcamless MSN chat for a start, or do we mean to make it a Skype conference which (I think) would allow for webcams?
As of now, it won't be MSN. I don't have MSN.
As for Skype, it doesn't have the conference mode that would be preferred.
For communication, we should find a few and try them out. Whichever one we think as a whole works the best is the one we'll use.

The thing about dimdim.com is that we can have 5-hour meetings, which allows some of us to talk, then Malte could come in later and finish up the 5 hours.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How about we make teams of 2 and then compare our ideas that way since our schedules are so different?  Myself and the other Austin obviously have relatively compatible schedules.  Obviously Malte's schedule is pretty much impossible to work with, so perhaps there is another member here who would like to become an examiner who has a similar time schedule to Malte.  We could then meet each other on MSN or somewhere and present our ideas, regardless if the other team is on or not.  Then when they come on they'll see our messages.  I think it's the ideal solution to our time problem.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You know, when it comes to deciding about the stories and scripts, I don't really understand the need to do that in a chat at all. Not only is there the problem of the different time zones, but also I don't see the benefit over discussing the matter right here. Opinions could be read and exchanged here and unlike in case of a chat they would be archived. What is the advantage of webcam chat when it comes to discussing the pros and cons of plots we get?
Of course it will be necessary to use mics when it comes to the recording, but I don't see any necessity for microphone chats in doing the planing that would justify the many difficulties.
Why are we going for the microphone in the planning discussions?