The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

"Songs from the Land Before Time" CD Collection

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have had this CD for a few months now

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...9924933-5689961

Aside from some minor flaws with voice synching (such as in "When You're Big", the accompanying singers are off-sync with Hyp for much of the song.  Interestingly enough, this does not happen in the original LBT3 film, :p) and the inclusion of the kid's short comments before/after many of the tracks (which I simply edited out when I ripped the CD), I have enjoyed this CD, especially for the final track: The cast singing "If We Hold On Together" in a beautiful rendition.  

I have posted a link to the song on my webspace:
http://www.angelfire.com/az3/action9000/lbt.html
*EDIT* This file is no longer hosted

It's an interesting remake of the song, about 10 BPM (Beats per minute) faster than Diana Ross' rendition.  I was just curious: Who here owns this CD, or has heard this rendition of If We Hold On?  Do you like it?

I wasn't sure where to put this topic, since If We Hold On Together was introduced in the first LBT, but the cast in the songs is mainly from the Roy Allen Smith sequels.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't own a CD, but a cassette and a video of it. I'm particularly fond of the "If we hold on together" version sung by Aria and Thomas Dekker. Hearing Ducky and Littlefoot sing it makes it even more beautiful for my ears than the Diana Ross version. In the movie version the song comes along with a beautiful video made of scenes from the 2nd to 4th sequel.
I hadn't noticed the flaw in "When you're Big" so far.
A German version of it also includes a German version of If we hold on together. For rhymes sake they had to make some compromises in the translation which is why I prefer the English version. Also it is sung by just one voice and I don't think it's somebody who performed in the German movie versions. However, the variant is not too bad either. If any of you would like to listen to it, here is a Link:
If we hold on together in German

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Can't say I've got it, though I've heard of that cd and seen it on ebay.  The audio beforhand is simply annoying.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Dec 22 2005 on  03:53 AM
I hadn't noticed the flaw in "When you're Big" so far.
I've uploaded onto my webspace, the track off the CD, "When You're Big" with the off-sync.

Notice, especially in the section with the "la la la la"s sung by Hyp's gang, that the accompanying singers consistantly begin singing their lines prematurely, especially on the last two "la la la la"s.  Another line that is sung too fast, is the background repeat of "Duckfeet too".  These errors are Not present in the original movie, LBT 3, mind you they are very minor.  However I think the movie's "take" of the song was better.
Another difference between this track and the original LBT 3 version: The very last note (the word "Biiiiig", sung by Hyp) is Not held on the CD version.  In the movie, it is held for a couple of bars, whereas on the CD version, it is released after a beat or so.  Just some minor differences.

Some other tracks from the CD, such as "Peaceful Valley" are clearly straight out of the original movie soundtrack, as they are complete with the sound effects and other voices, which is interesting.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You're definitely right.
I only had never realized the differences so far. It is quite remarkable as up to know I didn't think that any new audio recordings were made for the sing along songs, except for the beautiful If we hold on together version of course.
It took our greatest music expert to discover the difference  :)
Of lately I have experimented a bit with composing LBT music for my story. I'm trying to make a "wrong" version of "If we hold on together". A version which can be recognized as based on the same song but sounding wrong, almost "corrupted" as there is quite some distress in the story and a serious test for the holding on together which I try to "translate" into music.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I wouldn't be surprised if the songs on that cd sound different than what you hear on the film.  It's common.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Dec 23 2005 on  05:09 AM
trying to make a "wrong" version of "If we hold on together". A version which can be recognized as based on the same song but sounding wrong, almost "corrupted" as there is quite some distress in the story and a serious test for the holding on together which I try to "translate" into music.
Ahh, interesting idea :)

I wouldn't mind playing with something like that, except for one problem: My computer isn't powerful enough to run some of my higher-end audio plugins.  Until I get a new motherboard and CPU, I won't be able to produce much high-quality work, as my plugins slow to a crawl, and make working with the software a rather...unpleasant experience at best, and impossible to see/hear what's going on, at worst.  I've never had a piece of software demand so much from a computer  :blink:

Here's what I'm running, and it's barely enough to do anything with this software:

Processor: AMD Sempron 2400+ (the Big problem with this software)
RAM: 1 GB DDR PC3200 ( 2+ GB would help a lot, too  :o )
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Video Card: ATi Radeon 9550 (256 MB) AGP
Hard Drive 1: Western Digital 80 GB with 8 MB cache
Hard Drive 2: Maxtor 20 GB with 2 MB cache (backup drive only, but I need it)
Operating System: Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2

However, I could attempt to play with something using MIDI files, or more basic audio plugins.  I can't wait to purchase some computer upgrades, but unfortunately, i'm beyond poor right now :(  It's what I get for being in college :P:

Anyways, if I produce anything interesting, I'll be sure to post it for y'all to take a look at, but it probably won't be anything too special, as I don't have the equipment to produce high-quality audio files.

I do like your idea, Malte, and if you ever come up with something, I would be very interested to take a listen to it :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I do have a keyboard that can be attached to the computer and I do have some software that might (or maybe not) enable me to produce Midi files on the computer. I never tried yet. Thing is that my knowledge of music is not very extensive. When I'm composing it is usually a try and error kind of business.
Thing is that for LBT music I don't think it would do to come up with nice melodies. It must sound so the hearer will know it is LBT. I suppose this requires addapting some of James Horner's and Michael Tavera's themes into the new melodies. Other than that I'm trying to come up with a kind of onomatopoeia so I try to come up with sounds not too far from sounds one might hear in the story the music is about. As I said, I'm afraid I lack a lot of both theoretical and practical knowledge. Yet if we meet online on MSN action9000 we we could hear to each other's music by switching on micros. Do you have a micro on your PC?
I reckon so far the best I have come up with concerning music are some gorgeous titles for melodies which I'm sure would be great if only they existed :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I, too, have a MIDI keyboard running through my sound card on my computer.  It makes your life that much easier, being able to play something and know exactly what it will sound like, using the instruments available to you on your computer.

I would be happy to help any way I can, though my music theory knowledge is extensive enough to know all the major, minor, 7ths, diminished, sus4, and augmented chords/scales off hand, that alone hasn't been enough to let me create any masterpieces yet.  
I suppose my largest obstacle is lack of direction: I never have incentive to finish a project, nor do I have a goal to work towards.  My life lacks inspiration, and that is what I seek more than anything.

My abilties on any musical instrument, including keyboard, are limited.  I can play the trumpet with limited proficiency, but I don't even have one anymore.  I can play basic music on keyboard (melody on right hand, chords on left hand).  I can play the "A" section (the better-known part) of Beethoven's "Fur Elise" without much difficulty, but anything any harder than that, and I get into trouble, having never taken formal music/instrument lessons.  Everything I've done, aside from trumpet playing, which I did in my high school band, has been self-taught.

I'm no music master, but I do have a passion for it.  I know what sounds good, I know what doesn't.  I can tell whether a piece of music fits its' purpose, and I can respect any budding musician or composer, of anything to a powerful rock song, to a moving orchestral piece.  I love music with story and emotion, and I would give anything to write something like that.

I won't pretend to be an expert, but I'd be happy to help whenever I can.  I have some knowledge of MIDI, digital audio production, music theory, some digital audio software, audio cutting/mixing, but I have much to learn about advanced musical arrangement, advanced musical structure, and I need a new computer :P:

As for microphones, I DO have a USB interface mic, but I can't guarantee that MSN will recognize it.  Seems like only half of my programs will recognize it, since it doesn't plug into my sound card directly.  We can try though :DD

As for gorgeous titles for musical projects: I've never been strong when it came to naming my work.  That is certainly a valuable skill :D

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I suppose my largest obstacle is lack of direction: I never have incentive to finish a project, nor do I have a goal to work towards. My life lacks inspiration, and that is what I seek more than anything.
That is precisely where I don't have any lack at all. When I'm into a project there is hardly anything that could stop me from it and I'm into it with all my heart and mind. The enthusiasm I can bring up and convert into something creative is one of my strong points I'm proud of. All those music I've been thinking about would be based on a story I'm writing. A story which I have in my head almost as if I had seen it as a movie.
I think you and I, we might complement each other in a very positive way. I would like to get to know you better  :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If you want to create MIDI files, the program I recommend learning is called Noteworthy Composer
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com

It has, by far, the prettiest, most user-friendly interface I have ever seen for anyone who wants to learn, or is comfortable with, reading standard music notation.  There is a demo of the program on this site.  The company charges around $40 US for the full version, but if you like the demo, the full version is well worth it.  The demo is fully-functional, except you cannot save a project more than 10 times.  However, to get around that, you can simply copy and paste the project into a new file and you get 10 more saves :P:

Anywho, I have the full version, and I love it.  The program is essentially a MIDI-based word-processing program.  Microsoft Word is to documents as Noteworthy is to MIDI.  You can record from a MIDI keyboard, or input notes manually with a mouse, and you can playback all your work whenever you want, from right in the program.  Your work looks, for all intents and purposes, like a musician's sheet music.  As a result, it makes working on the project your main focus, not learning how to get around faults in the program :)

If you prefer a more "professional", more of the non-midi-file side of music, I recommend FL Studio 6.0.

http://www.flstudio.com

This is what I use for All of my non-MIDI file work.  This program is getting more complex, and it requires that you have plugins as well, to gain sounds from.  FL Studio on its' own doesn't supply much in the way of sounds.  You need to add the sounds yourself, or you can simply use MIDI, just like in Noteworthy Composer.

If you would like any assistance with either of these progams, I know them fairly well, especially Noteworthy.  Ask me basically anything about Noteworthy; I've been using it for 8 years and I love it :)
The only downside to Noteworthy, is it is Only for MIDI production; I can't load plugins or anything into it.  However, if this isn't an issue, I'd say go for it, unless you already have a program you are very comfortable with and prefer.  Those are just my thoughts.

In regards to your post, I would indeed be interested in getting to you better as well :)  Perhaps we can figure out some sort of project.

I've included here, a little MIDI file I wrote in April of 2004.  I know the structure is odd, and the music has its share of disasters.  My excuse is that I wrote it in 3 days, but :P: A sample of what you can do with Noteworthy Composer, and a sample of what I have done in the past.  Now just one thing to note: Fermatas (holds/pauses in the music) that I wrote in Noteworthy Do Not export to MIDI files, so there is an odd moment at around 0:35 where it suddenly jumps.  There is supposed to be more of a pause there.  This same problem occurs again at 1:40, 1:45, 2:05, and 3:07, so just ignore those  :P:

It is entitled "A Day in a Simple World".

I have also posted up a mini-remake of "If We Hold On Together" on my webspace, done with a flute solo, using my best audio plugins.  This is Incomplete, but it's just a demonstration of the kinds of software I would "like" to use, but can't.  I can barely produce a file as simple as this without my computer lagging big-time.  I produced the file by ear, referring to the Diana Ross rendition of the song.   I need to turn the bass line up a couple of deciBels, and I'm missing some chord details in the background sounds as of now, but aside from that, I think it's coming along decent.  Enjoy :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like your "A Day in a simple world". It is a nice mixture of mostly lively and some calmer passages. Did you have something particular in mind when you composed the individual passages?
Incomplete as it may be I still like the flute version of If we hold on together. The flute has a soft sound which befits "If we hold on together" quite well. I played if we hold on together with about every single instrument available on my keyboard, including the bagpipe (though the keyboard's bagpipe is a miserable match to the real bagpipe of which I am a great supporter  :lol:)
I need to check out which music programms exactly I have. A neighbour of us who once sorted out his huge store of CD ROMs kindly gave me a real pile of them. Most of them were games, but there were also two or three CDs with music software on them. I need to check out what exactly they are.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
"A Day in A Simple World" was written for both me and my dear friend at the time; we had sort of created a mini-fantasy home together, and this piece was composed to complement, or show a day, in this fantasy town.  The themes in the music refer to waking up to the sunrise, seeing a bustling marketplace, walking by the local blacksmith's, with everyone hard at work, including the "main character", whom the music follows.  By the end, the market theme comes back, in a "moonlight" style, as the day is winding down, and the final couple of bars are a variation of the "wake up" theme, shown in the first two bars of the piece.  These final bars were simply a wrapping up of the day, and the symbolic start of another day in a simple world.

The idea of the piece was created by both her and myself; I tried to put it to music, but I ended up being somewhat rushed to complete the project, and some parts weren't as strong as I would have liked.  I would have also expanded the piece, making it 5 minutes or more in length.  Due to time constraints, I had to keep it short and sweet.  Ahh, brings back memories of staying up until 5:30 in the morning, finishing the project :lol

By the way, my friend and I have since gone our seperate ways, and she and I haven't spoken since December of 2004.  :cry