The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Last Jedi spoiler thread

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
This isn't Snoke's story, and I personally don't care that they killed him. TLJ had flaws, but that wasn't one of them imho. And I wouldn't be surprised if they addressed his backstory in one of the anthology films- I doubt this is the last we've seen of him.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This isn't Snoke's story, and I personally don't care that they killed him. TLJ had flaws, but that wasn't one of them imho. And I wouldn't be surprised if they addressed his backstory in one of the anthology films- I doubt this is the last we've seen of him.
Yeah probably.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I LOVE the fact they axed Snoke, because he's just a Palpatine copy. It's called a Bait and Switch. They built Snoke up and then whipped the carpet out from under you. That's not a flaw in the film. It was a surprise you weren't expecting. They could never have done anything with him they didn't already do with Palpy, anyway. It's much more interesting to have a young, unstable Dictator overthrow him via a cheap shot and have a Hitler-style figure run the empire he's inherited into the ground with his fanatical ways, anyway.

So yeah, I'm really looking forward to Episode 9 and feel the sequel trilogy has been very well-written.

However, bait and switch Snoke might be, that only works in a video game sense I'm afraid; in a movie or story based sense, a bait and switch is only good if you actually have an established character from which you're intending to do a bait and switch with. Snoke has no backstory, no personality, no information on how the heck he even is, or even why we should even care he even existed at all. Because of his poorly fleshed out nature, it makes the entire point of a bait and switch feel like a weak cop-out to just not develop Snoke any further and make a random plot twist with Ben killing him without much issue. There's a difference between making him a bait and switch boss for Ben, but all it does is create an apathetic atmosphere in regards to people wanting to know more about who Snoke honestly was, knowing that not only will they never get the answer, but due to his anti-climatic death, it'll only be information that'll ultimately be tainted by his pathetic performance in The Last Jedi.
I don't agree with you in even the slightest, and frankly, I think there's a huge double standard at work with your thinking. Everything you've said about Snoke in this topic also applies Emperor Palpatine.
Snoke is no less developed or defined than The Emperor was in the original films. They could have easily done the exact same thing with him and Vader back then and you'd call it brilliant because of the nostalgia factor.

Seriously, if you watch the original trilogy with a critic eye at all, you'd know that ol' Palpy went out like a schmuck, too. You don't get to criticize how Snoke died while proclaiming The Emperor to be a great villain. He wasn't. He really wasn't.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:36:00 PM by WeirdRaptor »
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf