The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A remake could actually happen.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah true they're afraid he'd make it to dark for kids like his first movie was. But I'd be happy if he came back and directed a new one. But like you said I highly doubt Universial will hire him back.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Quote from: Sovereign,Nov 16 2016 on  04:10 PM
As much as I'd hope, I don't think we'll see another LBT film from Bluth. For now, I'm just hoping that the Dragon's Lair's will be a great film. Even if that's the case, it's unlikely that Universal just calls Bluth and offers him a chance to resurrect the franchise. Nothing's impossible though...   ;)
But darker and more complicated children's properties are currently the "IN" thing right now. The Universal execs would have to be fools not recognize the waves the likes of Gravity Falls and such are making.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Just asking, what children's films these days would you actually call "dark"?

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
None that I can think of since today's world parents would complain if it's to dark

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
The current run of Disney animated films. They've had mature themes, have been liberal with violence, dark content, and have not been afraid to showcase death when needed and even nightmarish imagery (Big Hero 6 and Zootopia being prime examples).
Plus Kubo and the Two Strings, The Adventures of Tintin, ParaNorman, Coraline, How to Train Your Dragon 2, and others depending on what you classifying as "these days".
And that's not even counting what's been on TV. Star Wars Revels, Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Young Justice (uncancelled as of right now), and such.

And in the live-action corner we have the Harry Potter films, the Narnia films, Marvel Cinematic Universe, the recent Jungle Book film, BFG, Star Wars: The Force Awakens (YES. The SW films are family films), and the other upcoming Star Wars films.

There IS money to be made on respecting children's intelligence.

None that I can think of since today's world parents would complain if it's to dark
My post disproves this comment entirely.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, there might be some more violence and mature themes in those films but I still wouldn't call those dark as their overall tone still is quite lighthearted and they're pretty comic. (I wasn't really thinking about live-action, they're pretty different from animated films). That being said, I haven't seen most of the films you mentioned. But we're drifting off-topic once again.  :oops

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
It's not necessarily about the tone in and of itself. It's just as much about subtext and implications. You'd be amazed at what animated works have gotten away with just by inferring things.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I very well might... But their style is very different from original LBT or other Bluth films. I wouldn't want to see Zootopia-inspired LBT remake.  :p

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not suggesting a Zootopia-style remake.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
To be honest, the only way an LBT remake would realistically work is if:

*A significant portion of the crew were longtime fans who understand how the original LBT worked and where it could be improved (like the cut scenes)

*The studio prioritized other works over the remake, which would hopefully give the crew more creative input

*There was a crazy marketing campaign to get the remake high on the radar of moviegoers

That's my take on it.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It's been almost thirty years and no news. To be honest a remake isn't needed since the first one was perfect even tho the cut sense aren't in it.

Dracorider19

• Spike
  • If you wanna be great, let greatness surround you
    • View Profile
Okay, I'll be honest but also gentle and somewhat open- I'm not a fan of remakes.
Like many commentators before me on this discusion, I just don't think remakes are
necessary most of the time, unless the original is forgotten or turns out to not really be
good. Original films that have proven to be great and have a good reception don't
need remakes. The string of remakes in recent years, especially Disney's live action
remakes (I'm looking at you Disney) has shown that there's not a lot of original ideas and
Hollywood feels the need to remake many films that were already successful and doesn't need
a remake. (Of course, a remake of a little-known film is an idea I'm open to.)
I don't dislike all remakes, though. I decided to check out the Jungle Book remake
and I admit it was decent and pretty well-made. However, this remake came out almost
50 years after the 1967 original. How much time passes between the original and remake
plays a factor in how a good a remake is.
So, anyway I don't support the idea of an LBT remake. It just wouldn't be the same. Sure
there are ideas for an "updated" remake, but I don't think that's a good reason. The first
LBT may have had some flaws, but the story was timeless. Its message of anti-racism
and working together is an eternal message.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I can agree I did like the message in the original movie a lot and remaking it could be bad and ruin it.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I would welcome a remake if it stuck to the original story line and was animated like the newer LBT movies (no CGI, and PLEASE, NO live action crap!).  I'd also prefer that they kept the original soundtrack and voices.  Just remake the animation please!  And those cut scenes?  Keep those as a bonus feature that we can watch separately from the movie.  

MLP has spoiled me with the amazing voice talents they've hired.  The voices used in LBT 14 were just downright AWFUL (especially Grandpa longneck, who sounded like some homeless bum with bronchitis that they pulled off the street at the last minute).

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What's wrong with the animation? The classic Bluth style comes very close to being the greatest-looking animation style of all time and LBT was the high point of the era (imo anyway). If there comes a remake, I think they should keep the animation style very close to the original. The colors, landscapes and the rough overall look of the film are simply put awesome. Also, certain scenes in the film have truly astonishing character animation, for example Littlefoot playing with the treestar. I see the lead animator of the film, John Pomeroy, as the greatest living animator there is and I doubt a remake can improve from his work. (By the way, he's apparently going to return to animation in the Dragon's Lair Film, yay!  :wow ) There are a multitude of great-looking animation styles but the look of original LBT is very close to the best I've seen. The later sequels look very good too (well, mostly) but not as good as the first one. And it's unlikely there's anyone here who would disagree with the publishing of the cut scenes.  :p

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
But WHY you want remake if we already have PERFECT original?? (with exception of deleted 11 minutes of scenes, of course...)
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Exactly we don't need a remake since the original is amazing and very good just the way it is

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I remember there were murmurings of a remake on the interwebs back in '09 and '10. Turned out to be a hoax.

I don't see how a remake could possibly work, perhaps if Bluth was on board and had full creative control, but even then, I feel the original film was like lightning in a bottle.

Luckily, as proved by the Secret Of Nimh remake that never got off of the ground, it seems that we won't be seeing any remakes of Bluth's work anytime soon.

Longneck3050

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I wonder if a remake would include all the deleted scenes, since 10-15 minutes of scenes were cut from the first movie. I wonder if all of it was found.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Quote from: Longneck3050,Oct 14 2017 on  09:20 AM
I wonder if a remake would include all the deleted scenes, since 10-15 minutes of scenes were cut from the first movie. I wonder if all of it was found.
Pretty sure it hasn’t been found. I really hope something will turn up though.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)