The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rats get infrared vision

Serris · 6 · 1301

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Article

Basically, scientists implanted electrodes in the rats' somatosensory cortex and wired up the electrodes to an infrared camera. They were then able to react to infrared light as if it were visible light after about a month of learning.

It is noted that hypothetically any sensory input could be used from magnetic fields to infrared light. Human use is also a possibility.

So what do y'all think?

I'll admit when I saw this, I immediately thought of my furry cyberpunk RP Into the Black.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Hey, it's Axel! (Kinda...)

This is pretty interesting, sounds like it could be the the first step in an improvement for those with prosthetics, and it's awesome to think how it could theoretically open up a whole new range of senses for us. One commenter on the article made an interesting point though, would our brains be able to cope with the surge of new information?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This will be useful for disabled people, due to ease of use, and the military, due to the need to quickly provide the brain with information necessary for split-second decisions in combat (predominantly aerial combat, where "seeing" radiowaves or microwaves could give some additional milliseconds of time).

For all other purposes miniature sensors with standard, non-organic, user-friendly interfaces will be good enough, and far cheaper.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
And now, we await the day for infrared contact lenses. Or glasses

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I remember a news article from a few years back which described a similar procedure for detecting visual light in rats.  I am glad to see that the technology is improving from the rather crude attempts that were being tested a few years ago.  It will be interesting to see how this technology is applied over the next several years.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Years back they what may be a similar thing in humans on the old pbs show Scientific American Frontiers.  It was some circuits they put on the retina and the person had to wear what looked like glasses that had a camera, or more then one camera.  Though as I recall the resolution wasn't to high.  I can imagine how it'll be if it progresses for a decade or 2.