The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Embarrassing

Nimrod · 268 · 35767

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: TheNumberOneShmuck,Aug 16 2007 on  03:32 AM
For me, it's never been a matter of embarassment. More than anything, it concerns my little brother.

My Dad might crack a couple of jokes. My Mom probably wouldn't care, but either way, she'd forget about it as soon as she starts to fix dinner. My older brother would go "Are you serious?", shake his head, then shut himself in his room.

But my little brother? Oh, man. Guarranteed, he'd spend every moment he could for at least two weeks hassling me about it. I'd walk out of the bathroom, he'd be waiting just beyond the door to tell me "Not even just the first one, but all the direct-to-video sequels and the ****ty show too?! Come on, grow some balls!" He'd make sure to deny me as many quiet moments as possible.

He'd never truly stop, either. After the first couple of weeks, he'd just annoy at random, but especially at the dinner table. Always likes him an audience, that one.

And the sad part is, judging by the fact that he still hasn't let go of the time he 'caught' me watching The Lion King even though he respects Jeremy Irons, I might actually be underestimating the effort he'd put in.

So really, it's not what anyone thinks, it's what my little brother does about it that's got me worried.
Ouch. You have my greatest sympathies. Kinda makes me feel glad I have an older sister who like them (just the first mostly).

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Weather_lord_7,Aug 17 2007 on  08:40 PM
Quote from: TheNumberOneShmuck,Aug 16 2007 on  03:32 AM
For me, it's never been a matter of embarassment. More than anything, it concerns my little brother.

My Dad might crack a couple of jokes. My Mom probably wouldn't care, but either way, she'd forget about it as soon as she starts to fix dinner. My older brother would go "Are you serious?", shake his head, then shut himself in his room.

But my little brother? Oh, man. Guarranteed, he'd spend every moment he could for at least two weeks hassling me about it. I'd walk out of the bathroom, he'd be waiting just beyond the door to tell me "Not even just the first one, but all the direct-to-video sequels and the ****ty show too?! Come on, grow some balls!" He'd make sure to deny me as many quiet moments as possible.

He'd never truly stop, either. After the first couple of weeks, he'd just annoy at random, but especially at the dinner table. Always likes him an audience, that one.

And the sad part is, judging by the fact that he still hasn't let go of the time he 'caught' me watching The Lion King even though he respects Jeremy Irons, I might actually be underestimating the effort he'd put in.

So really, it's not what anyone thinks, it's what my little brother does about it that's got me worried.
Ouch. You have my greatest sympathies. Kinda makes me feel glad I have an older sister who like them (just the first mostly).
Allow me to bring to your attention my second post:

Quote from: TheNumberOneShmuck,Aug 17 2007 on  06:19 AM
Oh, I've tried the simple ignore method. Doesn't work, he uses the silence to his advantage.

And the Lion King situation may have sounded a little worse than I intended. He doesn't actually annoy me about it any more(it only lasted a day). What he will do is tell friends and family randomly that I watched it, like it's something bad. And, like, once every three months. That's what I meant by "still hasn't let go". Minor annoyance, really.

In fact, none of his stuff is really that bad, it's just that he's never had ammo quite as big as the LBT series. The first movie alone might be just barely worse than TLK. The rest of the series would probably set off the cannon.

Even then, I don't really fear it. I'm not exactly doing my best to hide my fandom, he just doesn't poke around in my business. Like, at all. He'd have a pretty good chance of finding me out by just walking into my room when I'm eating lunch or something and turning on the monitor.

Anyway, just to clear it up, that last post was about what I think he'd do, not how I'd react to it. Realistically, he'd walk up to my door and pound on it, then I'd put on my headphones and crank up the tunes. I'm tellin' ya, that musical addition is what makes the ignore method work. Oh, and a lock on your door. Gotta have that :D

Sorry if I got you guys all worried or something :P

:D

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: TheNumberOneShmuck,Aug 18 2007 on  12:21 AM
Allow me to bring to your attention my second post:

Quote from: TheNumberOneShmuck,Aug 17 2007 on  06:19 AM
Oh, I've tried the simple ignore method. Doesn't work, he uses the silence to his advantage.

And the Lion King situation may have sounded a little worse than I intended. He doesn't actually annoy me about it any more(it only lasted a day). What he will do is tell friends and family randomly that I watched it, like it's something bad. And, like, once every three months. That's what I meant by "still hasn't let go". Minor annoyance, really.

In fact, none of his stuff is really that bad, it's just that he's never had ammo quite as big as the LBT series. The first movie alone might be just barely worse than TLK. The rest of the series would probably set off the cannon.

Even then, I don't really fear it. I'm not exactly doing my best to hide my fandom, he just doesn't poke around in my business. Like, at all. He'd have a pretty good chance of finding me out by just walking into my room when I'm eating lunch or something and turning on the monitor.

Anyway, just to clear it up, that last post was about what I think he'd do, not how I'd react to it. Realistically, he'd walk up to my door and pound on it, then I'd put on my headphones and crank up the tunes. I'm tellin' ya, that musical addition is what makes the ignore method work. Oh, and a lock on your door. Gotta have that :D

Sorry if I got you guys all worried or something :p

:D
Well, thats a relief. Good thing I have both a lock and no younger siblings, or I'd never hear the end of it. :o

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Well, I'm an only child so never had a problem with siblings. My parents mocked me a bit when I started buying the DVD's, but apart from that the only embarrassing moment was when I went to Toys R' Us and there were only kids there, but I kind of worked it off good    :rolleyes:
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Aug 28 2007 on  08:48 AM
Well, I'm an only child so never had a problem with siblings. My parents mocked me a bit when I started buying the DVD's, but apart from that the only embarrassing moment was when I went to Toys R' Us and there were only kids there, but I kind of worked it off good    :rolleyes:
Just say you're buying it for your younger cousin's birthday.  :P:

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
LOL, that's exactly what I did :D
I even asked they could wrap it in birthday paper, went to the wrapping place and waited in line. It was a foolish decision that only prolongated my embarrassment, but at least I kept to my story.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Aug 14 2007 on  02:44 PM
To swing this back into topic, sometimes, our "friends" can mock us for liking something targeted towards "tweens." However, a more serious matter would be how do our relatives and family take us liking LBT? What do our families say to it?

I'm an only child so I don't really have to worry about a younger/older brother or sister giving me a hard time about it.

My mom is just fine with it. She never teases me or hassles me about it at all.

My dad I have never had enough courage to tell him. But he knows I watch a lot of childish things so I think it might upset him a little bit and he'd wish that I watched more mature things but other then that I don't think he'd have a real problem with it.

Everyone else don't know about it. I mean if I happened to see my Aunt, my Uncle, or my cousin in a Best Buy or a Wal-mart buying LBT stuff. Or watching a LBT movie, or something sure I'd tell them. But, I don't really feel comfortable coming out and just saying "I love LBT" unless for example they caught me watching it or buying LBT stuff.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
My family is okay with it, though I think that that may be in part to the "well-it's-better-than-the-majority-of-things-out-there" line of thinking. Some say it's a cute series, some try not to bring it up, and others don't act like they care.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
(Petrie @ Aug 28 2007, 07:03 PM)Just say you're buying it for your younger cousin's birthday.  :P:

That's the line I've been using scine I brought number 5! ;)

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Or say, please could you pack it as a present? It¥s for my 4 years old cousin^^

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
I thought very much about this. How could I get things which are for childrens when I am older? That¥s how I¥ll do it. :^.^:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Mom's buying me all the dvd's again and I just have her buy them for me!  No excuses! :D

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Pfft… disguised purchases… I don't need none of that. You know what I need?

…money :(

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In general the secrecy about buying LBT DvDs is probably VERY exaggerated. You think that the sellers will make fun of you if you buy LBT DvDs without claiming them to be for someone else? That would ruin their business. Also it might look a lot more like you were buying the DvDs for yourself if you hand them to the shop assistant stuttering something about younger cousins without being asked about it at all. If somebody is asking you about it you can still make up pretenses thereby possibly wasting a chance to get to know somebody who might however remotely be interested in LBT as well. I often say that LBT fans shouldn't walk down a street carrying an "I love LBT" sign, but buying LBT DvDs is not exactly as conspicuous.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well, I cant buy a LBT dvd without some sorta smart ass remark from the cashier.  That's why I never do it. :P:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've never gotten offensive remarks from a cashier when buying LBT merchandise. Remarks, yes, but nothing offensive. Stuff like, "Getting all 5 of them, huh?".

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I do seem to recall one time I was purchasing LBT #8 and the cashier actually gave me a hard time about it.

Well first she stiffeled a laugh and I was okay with that as we were the only two in the store, and she wasn't laughing directly in my face, but then she had the nerve to ask why I was really buying the dvd. Now the transaction had been over for about three minutes now and I'm standing there thinking to my self WTF?

Then it dawned on me....why should I care what she thinks, I shouldn't even still be standing here....and after that I quietly and quickly walked out of the store laughing to myself for getting so worked up...and I know the next time I buy a LBT DVD, that won't be happening again. :lol  :DD  :lol

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Sep 6 2007 on  08:56 AM
Well, I cant buy a LBT dvd without some sorta smart ass remark from the cashier.  That's why I never do it. :P:
That's why you never do it? You mean you never did it before? If you never bought a DVD of LBT, then how do you know what the cashier will say/do?