The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Blanking the Slate

Serris · 921 · 84342

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Uhhh, doing...good, I guess?" Flora shrugged helplessly. "I'm sorry, I just don't understand," she admitted, breaking character. "There's no talking during a music video, the song is put on top.  And if Marie's drinking at the bar, and you and me are here, who's filming?"

---------------

"A submarine ride? Well, that'd certainly be one to check off the bucket list," Emilena nodded approvingly. She glanced around and noticed that only herself, Soren, and Awe remained on the balcony. "Maybe we should rekindle this conversation once everyone's in the same place," she remarked, putting her clothes back on now that she was sufficiently dry. "Give everyone a bit of time to marinate and then regroup. Actually, speaking of marinating, dinner's always an easy way to get everyone in the same room. Either of you two interested in helping me cook up a big bowl of pasta and garlic bread?" It was one of the few things she knew how to cook since she once went undercover at an Italian restaurant during her police career.

(OOC: If anyone's interested in reading that story, PM me and I'll send you a link!)

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"Sounds good to me! I could also make some ginger snaps for dessert." Awe said smiling.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have a couple security cameras filming ' Marie said " We can edit out  the part where i talked or reshoot it.  Why dont we take a short break? the lights are making my eyeliner start to run ' she  suggested. " she pullred out her phone and dialed a couple commands on it. the cameras returned to their normal posiotions, and marota sighed ' normally you have a director and extras for this thing. Don;t you normally have the same director for your videos?"
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Yeah, his name was Skyler Blake," Flora shifted her feet. "He was okay. He and Bailey knew each other from back while they were nobodies, so Bailey did most of the talking and I never really interacted with him except when he told me what to do. I don't think he'd be available to come film this though."

Flora took a deep breath. "I think we can get this done. Let's film it your way. Take two." Flora left the room and returned, looking chipper. "Hi!" she smiled. "Always nice to see a friendly face! What's your name, stranger?"

------------------------------

Emilena poked her head into the garage. "Tony, there you are. Awe and I were thinking of cooking dinner for everyone, mind if we use your kitchen?" She noticed the withdrawn expression on his face. "Is everything okay?"

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Tony jerked his head upward at Emilena's voice, his arms still resting on the wheel as he looked out over his sea of cars, the Elmore fortunately riding much higher than most of them. Inhaling, he slumped a little, using the wheel for support. "Yeah that's fine." he responded softly, not exiting the car just yet. "Hm?" he blinked, realizing she'd asked him if anything was wrong. "I just..." He began to reply haltingly, pondering how best to word this. "I don't know about my merit to this upcoming mission." He slid out from behind the wheel at long last, stepping onto the running board and then down onto the floor as he began making his way forward slowly, eyes wandering over the line of cars to either side of him. They all gleamed in their different ways, having unique facets and points to them.

Trailing his claws over a teal 1948 Delahaye Type 135, Tony smiled slightly. "Putting your life on the line over and over again can wear you down... and I have reservations about... other things as well." he shifted his gaze up to her here, coming to a halt a few cars away from the elevator. "Either way, I guess I just... came down here to think." he concluded, offering her a little shrug as he spread his arms out to either side of him before letting them fall back down.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Well, let me know if you'd rather be alone, but I'm here to listen if you want it." Emilena rested her hand on the other car door but didn't enter until she received more of a signal that he didn't just want to be alone. "Just know that you're not obligated to do anything, the whole team is already in your debt. Hell, we were in your debt before you let us stay the night in your huge awesome mansion." She smiled. "That goes double for me, since you listened to my problems and even helped solve them. If there's a way I can help you in return, I'll do it."

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The ferret returned her smile, giving a smaller one in return, and nodding a little. "Heh, I couldn't consider any of you in my debt." He responded softly, tapping his claws lightly up and down on the fender of a blue and cream 1925 Locomobile. "Well I'm glad I was able to do that for you." He nodded again. "I really am." He narrowed his eyes, looking off into the distance, as if thinking. "Heh... I wouldn't even know what to ask for." He confessed, looked back to her at this juncture. "But if I can ask you something... why the sudden change?" he asked. "I mean I know I've been kind of out of the loop for awhile, and I hope this doesn't offend you but... I don't remember you being this kind and well... concerned over others' well being, my own most of all. I do distinctly remember you being... well different, let's just say." he informed her, curious as to her answer.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena grinned. "You know I was a police investigator, right? I can play any role I want." She broke eye contact. "It's just that for the longest time, I didnt see any of you as important enough to put on an act for. Originally I planned to arrest Mr. Almaya, immediately get my badge back, and never see any of you again."

She sighed. "I must admit, and I know this will sound odd, but another reason is that eveybody's turned into even more of an asshole than me. I'm not used to relying on other people,  but the truth is that we're going to need this team intact if we hope to get through this alive. In the past, Axel and Lily were the sane and compassionate ones that kept us all held together, but now that they've taken my job as the self-centered asshole, I'm adapting for the survival of the group."

She climbed into the car and sat down. "You've changed a lot too, you know. Consider that when you first met us, you were a Purifier grunt who betrayed them on a dime just to save your skin. And before that, you abandoned your family to join them. Now, dozens of firefights later, you're the only person on our team who isn't prioritizing their own self-interest. You've turned your family business into something legitimate, and you're spending time, money and your own safety making things right for a small group of former enemies with nobody else left."

She grinned again.  "I can't name one other person who could do all of that, who could change themselves so drastically for the better. So I don't want to hear anything more about whether you have merit. You've earned your merit in ways few ever will."

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Heh... of course." he smiled in response to her first statement, even smirking a bit. "That... was my assessment as well." As he listened, he closed his eyes, flashing back to those days... Lily and Axel... the compassionate ones... Lily was a homicidal maniac with too much power... now fortunately deceased; who knew what her clone wanted though... and Axel... poor guy went from being a good friend to a washed up drunk who seemed very self-absorbed. His eyes snapped open as he heard Emilena opening the Locomobile's door. Smiling, he did the same on the driver's side, tugging it back so he could step up onto the running board and settle down on the comfortable, plush, dark blue leather seat.

"Heh... you have good taste." He commented. "This is such a beautiful car. Was very expensive in its time..." He swung the door shut now, and looked down to the blue rug his paws rested on, and the nickel plated dashboard. "I think my favorite thing about this car are the dark blue artillery spokes on the wheels... really gives it a dignified appearance." he sighed, tracing his claws over the nickel plating with almost a sort of reverence.

As she spoke next about how he had changed, he pursed his lips, staring at the various instruments on the dash, and tracing a claw over the Delco starter lever, running the claw back and forth. "Heh... I guess I just... I don't know... inheriting everything and losing my father... was a humbling experience... made me realize I can't take anything for granted... nor should I." he sighed again. "And how about you?" he asked, glancing over to her as they sat side by side in the upscale Locomobile. "You feel you've changed? You mentioned putting on an act earlier... so which is this? Actress Emilena... or more vulnerable Emilena?" he inquired slowly, still running his claw on the starter lever.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Adult Emilena, to be honest," she admitted, leaning back in the comfy seat. "Pretending to be nice was just...how I thought grownups acted. Or at least, it's how the wardens in the orphanage did." She glanced over at him. "Most people get a childhood to experiment with who they want to be, to figure themselves out. I opted not to have one. For as long as I could remember I'd already been pretending to be an adult, so I decided to enroll in the Growth Acceleration program and make that a reality." She shrugged. "And I still think I made the right call. But a nine-year old is missing a lot of the nuances and experience one needs to function in the real world, unless they choose to see everything in black and white." She sighed. "The police gave me such a simple way to view right vs wrong...I still miss things being so simple."

She glanced at him. "What about you? You've never really mentioned your childhood. Did Don Stracci let you be yourself, or did you grow up living a persona as well?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 06:29:31 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
He nodded a little at her admission, pulling his claw back to rest it on his lap as he watched her speak. So there was an orphanage and... his head rocked back a little at the Growth Acceleration program she'd been a part of. "Holy shit..." he whispered. "I don't think I knew that about you!" He exclaimed. "Jumping from nine years old to an adult..." He nodded. "Yeah I mean... there'd definitely be some formative things missing there. But yes... I guess the police force would at least give you a... somewhat simplistic view on the world." He admitted. "I just... I never knew... I never knew that." he emphasized. As she paused, and then said she missed things being simple, he pursed his lips again. Yeah... those were true words. He pined for the days where he didn't have anyone threatening things he cared about... where he could just take a car out for a drive... not worry about having to shoot people or using his fists... what happened to those days? And... perhaps reclaiming them was partly why he was hesitating now.

But she had asked him a question, and the ferret swallowed. "Um..." he started out softly. "I... didn't like my father's strict demeanor... and when I found out what he really did... I disliked it even more. I rebelled... did my own thing... but jeez... childhood... it was..." he shook his head, looking out through the windshield. "It was nice... rides in these cars... family outings... my father was generous... strict but generous. But no... he expected me to follow in his pawsteps... and threatened to cut me off from everything if I didn't... so... as said... rebelled. Joined the Purifiers... and now... I guess I settled on a bit of a compromise. Reconciled with my father but... turned his empire into my own vision... not his." He commented, looking over to her now, and resting a paw on the steering wheel, giving her a small smile.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
“Axel never told you?” she asked, cocking her head. “Yeah, I was the fifth, that’s why my last name’s Echo. It was a government initiative to reduce the underage homeless population. But the program was cancelled after a single run, when all eleven of us wound up with severe personality issues. Now that I think about it...only 3 of us didn’t get ourselves killed within the first year doing something stupid. So, it’s not the sort of past I go around telling everyone about.”

She sighed. “If I’d known you didn’t know, I might not have brought it up. I don’t want you thinking I’m mentally stunted or anything. Trust me, it was a choice of desperation. Not everyone’s childhood has fancy cars and family outings...”

She relaxed her muscles and let herself sink into the chair. “Just make sure you take care of yourself. You actually have something to live for. A business, a family, a legacy.” She chuckled. “That being said, plenty of people have those, and it doesn’t make them happy. Sticking with us might be your only chance to ride in a submarine. Oh, I forgot to mention, Awe says he knows a guy who can get us a submarine.”
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:10:46 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
He pondered it, but the last name made sense. "Oh... well I don't think I would've judged you negatively or anything... the fact you've survived more challenging situations than most people have ever been in in their lives means you really aren't mentally stunted." He shook his head. "As you mentioned... it was desperation... I might've done the very same thing in your position." he confessed. "Saw it as the easy way forward and the way to get out." he nodded.

As she sank into the seat, he did the same, leaning back and resting now, finding it much easier to do so in one of these cars than anywhere else in his mansion. Perhaps it was the solitude... or perhaps it was the sheer beauty that surrounded him, but whatever it was, he had always had a much easier time down here than upstairs. "Oh?" he perked up, raising his brow. "An actual submarine? Must have a lot of crew manning it... unless it's one of those remote drone type deals." he commented. He briefly considered letting her know about his own ship, but figured it wasn't worth bringing up. "Heh... I guess that's why I partly came down here... you mentioned taking care of myself... that's part one of my musings... part two is well... the merit thing. I mean sure I might be a great guy or what you said but... I only have very basic firearms skills... almost no combat training... I can back you guys up easily enough but... this mission sounds like a whole new level... it's not just me providing transportation to some neighborhood... we'll be out at sea... and I'm not sure if my ability to back you guys up is going to be very useful. Now you might argue an extra gun is an extra gun but... compared to your skills, I don't want to be a liability out there. You guys have been together awhile... fought together... understand each others' abilities and form cohesion." He pointed out.

"Me?" he pressed a paw to his chest. "I don't want to do more harm than good." he shook his head.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
"See you in bit!" Anne called as she got in the electric. The car's door automatically opened as she got close. She even noted the driver's seat had a hole in the back for her tail. Usually, she'd have to tuck her tail to the side but this time, she could let it naturally go back.

She pressed the ignition button (even though it was an electric, it was still an ignition button due to decades of tradition) and the motor came to life with a low hum. She disengaged the brakes and headed out where the garage door automatically opened, letting in the late afternoon sun.

---------------------------------------

Soren looked over the area and rubbed his temples. There was a seaport nearby. The Human sighed. Looks like they were going to be breaking into yet another industrial facility. Luckily, that was something they were getting quite good at.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
“Don’t worry about that,” Emilena shook her head. “None of us are the right people for the job. It’s a miracle we’ve gotten this far. And you’ve been there from the beginning, so don’t sell yourself short. You’re not an outsider like Awe, you’re a veteran part of this team.”

She closed her eyes. “That being said, this is dangerous work, and if you did retire to a supporting role in our plan, I’d be at least relieved knowing one of us will survive. I can even help come up with a cover story if you don’t want the others learning it was voluntary. But don’t leave because you think you’re letting us down, or that you aren’t good enough to help us.”

She sat up. “And don’t decide anything until you’ve had some dinner; everything seems bleaker on an empty stomach. You have any requests? Gotta be something pasta, that's all I know how to make."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:04:07 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The ferret pursed his lips again, and shifted his mouth to one side before moving it back. "Well... I'd describe myself more as an absentee part of the team. Here and there, in and out." he waved his paw in a circular motion. He considered her words, chewing on his bottom lip. "Thank you... if I do decide to step aside... it's good to know you'd come up with an excuse for me... I haven't decided yet though." he admitted. "I think it's not necessarily that I'm not good enough..." he trailed off, not finishing, as if there was more on his mind, but he wasn't voicing it.

"Heh... all right... deal." he nodded to her request to not decide anything until dinner. "Uh... carbonara is my favorite but... I'm not sure you know how to make it, plus it's kind of finicky. I could show you though... if you want." he smiled slightly. "Or if you just want to keep it simple... I really don't mind. I'm Italian after all... pasta is my blood." he chuckled. He made no move to exit the Locomobile, sitting back in its seat for now as he waited for Emilena's response.

(runner up)
(runner up)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
“Carbonara...never even heard of it,” Emilena admitted. “But I’m prepared to learn.” She climbed out of the car. “And Awe likely wouldn’t mind another helping hand. It’ll especially be nice having someone who knows where everything is in the kitchen.”

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Yeah I... kind of figured you wouldn't know what it is." He smirked a little, nodding as he looked down, hearing the passenger door open as she began exiting the car. "Sure... go up without me... I'll follow in a moment or two. I just... want some solitude for a moment, if that's OK." he told her, looking over to her as her head was now even with the car's compartment due to how high it rode off the ground.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm Anna ' Marita said in character " just here to have some fun. Dance the night away. Gotta do it before the school prom, otherrwise I'm in for it from the other girls. particularly Jenna and her little clique.  So, ;lets dance!" she smiled.
_
 Zula kept driving into the heart of the city, while  Bianca downed Diet cokes to keep herse;f from falling asleep completely. " She can drank nearly all the middle sized sodas yet she couldn't shake the weariness  that hung over her like a bad omen. ' How close are we to your place?" Bianca asked " 4 blocks away now. Just help me carry in this tennis stuff and then you can crash on the couch. I'm heading to work in a couple hours so we can hang out until then.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Of course, take your time. Awe and I will try to keep the kitchen in one piece until you arrive," Emilena assured, closing the garage door behind her.

She searched the mansion until she found Awe. "Were you able to contact your submarine guy and see if that offer's on the table?" she asked.

------------

"Hi, uh, Anna!" Flora plastered a smile on her face. "Okay, let's dance!"

She tried to follow Marita's lead. It was weird dancing when you couldn't actually hear any music, but it wouldnt be the first time she'd had to do that for a music video.

(OOC: I left a post in the Discussion thread for a possible angle we could tackle the underwater lab infiltration. Let me know what y'all think)