The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

First Pokemon, then Ponies, now Dinosaurs

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Welcome to my Art Topic. Here it is, just as I promised in my Welcome Thread.  :)

Right now I have only one LBT fanart. If those get more after a while, I might do a better startpost. But for now...

[align=center]Holding On Forever

Source
(for bigger size etc.)[/align]

This one isn't so special, but doing scenes/poses that are from the movie itself helped me a lot with ponies, it helps me understand and really seeing the concept of the characters I'm drawing, so I'll be doing that until I feel I am now able to use the design completely by myself. It isn't traced though. I just look at a screenshot and try to get as close as I can (and I have some experience at that by now, my first MLP Fanart looked nowhere close to this.)

Oh and yes, I know. Ducky's/Petrie's face might still need some work but that is the part where I did things by myself already. I probably will do portraits of them next. :)

Time needed: Started yesterday, finished today.
WIP Versions: Here and here, if anyone is interested.

Constructive Criticism is always welcome, of course. :)

RockingScorpion

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Wow, it looks awesome indeed O_O . Much better than what I can do, because I am good at 3d modelling, but for drawings, I cannot draw LBT to save my own life, hehehe.

Will you paint it at some point?

Keep it up!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wonderful! Ducky is one of the hardest characters to draw is what I found while I was still drawing. You've captured the spirit amazingly well and I think the bottom three characters are really well done :)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow, that is excellent!  You definitely captured the essence of the characters quite well.  :yes Keep up the good work!  :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Dalekdino: Thanks :D

Chiletrek: There once was a time when I also thought I can't draw even when my life depends on it. After 2 semesters of graphic design I noticed you can actually learn to draw. I hated graphic design though, and really started myself only when it wasn't on my timetable anymore. Some basic knowledge is pretty helpful if you want to start on your own. ;)
Also, thank you. :)

Mumbling: Thanks :D .The reason Ducky and Petrie may look a bit off is because I couldn't really tell how they would look like from that perspective. I checked out other screenshots and looked at the faces, and then I tried my best.
The hardest character in this one for me was Cera. Her expression is somewhat complex.

rhombus: Thanks, and I will. :D
But not anytime soon, I guess. Photography can be a bit time-consuming. xD

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow, this is nice :wow

My only critism would have been that Ducky's and Petrie's faces look a little weird but I can totally understand that since they're really small here so there isn't much room for details... the three "big ones" you got pretty well, much better than I could, I reckon ;)

A portrait of Ducky & Petrie? Can't wait to see the results :exactly
Inactive, probably forever.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 And you are welcome! :DD .

As for drawings, well, I guess I just need practice, problem is that I use my free time to work on 3d model of starships, hehehe.... but maybe someday I'll be able to do more sketches and doodles.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ducky123: Thanks. :D

And well, here you go:

[align=center]Ducky - Portrait

Source

So, Petrie is next. And so that you understand what I'm planning to do in the future: When I feel safe enough and remember all needed details to draw them in any pose I want (I'm going for 1:1 animation style), I'm going to draw more or less complex backgrounds too, like this one, if anyone is interested. I'd say this can be expected around summer or something.

Hope you like it
RockingScorpion. :)

Edit: fixed some stuff.  ;)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I must quote myself here: Who couldn't resist that face? :smile

You have two gifts that I do not have: the knowledge how to shade (though that one can be earned ^^) and the gift to be able to draw things off one's imagination... I couldn't draw without a proper reference if my life depended on it :angel Oh, I forgot something: Talent!

Ducky stares right into my soul... hardly any art I see on here is looking that realistic. Great job! You just earned a new fan :exactly

Now I need to start updating my own art thread again :angel

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
jansensov: Luckily only close to that. Your feet would be pretty cold then, yes they would, yes they would. :D
But thanks (at least I think it's a compliment^^). :)

Ducky123:
Let me quote myself real quick...
"Doing scenes/poses that are from the movie itself helps me understand and really seeing the concept of the characters I'm drawing, so I'll be doing that until I feel I am now able to use the design completely by myself. It isn't traced though. I just look at a screenshot and try to get as close as I can."

That was done here, too. ;)
Yes, I can draw stuff entirely out of my head, but it usually takes some time. The LBT characters are also more complex than the things I did before.^^

Ducky stares into your soul? I didn't know she can be that creepy. xD

But thank you - and fan? Stop it, you. xD
Really, this isn't something I hear very often. Two times so far actually, this one included. It means a lot to me. :)

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
All I can say is: incredible! You truly have talent and I'll be watching this thread closely. :yes Just an amazing way of capturing expressions, and the shading is really good too.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Pterano: Thanks :)

Also something I forgot to mention before -

If you're a huge fan of Petrie, you might wanna read this.

If there is one particular pose you want to see him in from any of the movies, you can send me a PM on here, including a screenhot and the name of the movie, if you know it. It's just so that I can look it up myself if it's to small or anything.

Petrie should be somehow centered in that shot, like Ducky in my last one. His whole body is also okay, if it's somewhat big and you can see all the details. ;)

You can send me screenshots until the weekend is over, then I'll pick one on monday. To all the ones who won't get chosen: I really would like to satisfy everyone, but I have no clones of me, sadly. And real life too, so...^^
The one I choose will get a drawing in my usual shaded style.

If you want to raise your chances, pick a pose that captures his personality quite well - just like Ducky in my last upload, only with Petrie instead.

How I'm going to pick: Everyone will get the same chance, so no "first come first served". If I get one I really like I'll take that (probably not...I was never good at decisions. xD). I'm probably going for something like, throwing a bunch of notes with names on them together and pick one. If you want to, I'll upload a video of that to youtube, but I promise I won't cheat (heck, why should I? xD).

So, that's all for now. If you have a question, feel free to ask.

The answer will be edited in this post, to keep things somewhat organized.

Oh, and...if I won't get a single message (you'll never know), I start looking for a pose myself.  ;)

RockingScorpion (who kinda regrets this now because he has to wait until monday now and is eager to draw).

Edit: You can still send pics until the weekend.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Got another one. Embrace yourself for the most brilliant piece ever created.

[align=center]Cheeksies

Source

Because why the hell not. :D

I knew I said Petrie would be next, but this one was done quite quick (quick for me means you start and finish it on the same day) and I love the expression.
Also trying to shade a face like that isn't that easy. xD

By the way, I'm not so sure about the title since I'm no native speaker. I wanted it to be a cute form of cheeks, is it right to say it like that?

Oh, and...I'm not much into shipping, but Littlefoot X Ali.
I even (kind of) shipped them as a kid. Or at least when I was old enough to already think about that. So..yep. :D

About my upcoming Petrie drawing: I still recommend the ones who like him (and would like a drawing of him in my style to read the post on top of this one. I got no single message and I add another week to this. I won't be able to draw before next weekend, so yeah. So next friday is deadline.

That's it for now, hope you like it (somehow xD)

RockingScorpion.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
(I hope double posting within less than a day is okay if you have something new. I assume it is because I couldn't find anything about this in the rules ;) )

I created a digital version out of my last drawing. I wanted a new avatar and cell phone background, so yeah.

[align=center]Cheeksies - Digital Version

Source
(if this isn't big enough for you, I don't know what is :D .)[/align]

I barely do digital art, but I'm giving my best when I do. If you still see a mistake, feel free to tell me.

And if anyone is wondering: Yep, I'm really using it now. :D

Hope you like it. :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Why of all possible scenes do you pick THIS creepy one  :blink:  :lol

It sure does look very cool again and it's also nice to see some digital art :)

I don't think there are any flaws at all; at least I didn't notice any :p Do you use different pencils for the sketching and the shading btw? And what program did you use to create the digital one?

"Cheeksies" sounds fine to me though I'm as clueless as you :p

I'd love to have a LBT-background on my phone but I don't want my classmates to be aware of my fandom of that show... they will jump at anything they find out about me  :rolleyes
I'm pretty sure it doesn't only serve well as a phone bg but also as a desctop bg :smile

Looking forward to seeing your portrait of Petrie :yes

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

CeraTheRed

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: jansenov,Mar 25 2014 on  05:12 PM
That one just aches to become a sticker.
Y'know, you're right, this DOES look like it would make a good sticker. I know I'D love to put this as a sticker on my laptop.  :DD It also has the exact look and almost FEEL of a sticker. Seriously, I almost wanna touch my screen to see if I can grab that sticker.  :lol

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ducky123:
This is an insider between me and my girlfriend. I won't go into any details but this probably will never fail to make her laugh. :D

The pencils I use...let's see.
I have 4H, 2H, HB, 4B and 6B. 4H and 2H are for outlines, HB is for outlines and some shading, 4B and 6B are for shading - but I use them for outlines in some cases, for example when the shading gets so dark that you need an even darker outline. 6B almost creates solid black.

The digital version was done in Photoshop.

You know..I have a My Little Pony patch on my backpack and a MLP sticker on my laptop. I don't think anyone would care for my cellphone background. One of the perks when you work in the foto/film/graphic design business. People might not share same interests but have something else or are just used enough to this that it's no big deal. xD

Jansenov & CeraTheRead:

You know..if you have the possibility to create a sticker out of that, you can. :)
Just tell everyone where you got it if you show it around and I would love to see how it turned out. :D

To all of you: Thanks for the comments. :)