The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Found this old review of The Land Before Time saying it's too "sappy"

LBT Fan · 14 · 1723

LBT Fan

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Here are some highlights from this interesting little review here" https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/8775/land-before-time-anniversary-edition-the/
"The movie is well suited for an audience of 4- to 5-year-olds."
"What it doesn't have, however, is anything that makes it worthwhile for an adult to watch."
"The story is not just simple, but simplistic, and the emotional content is broadly but shallowly drawn."
"Another reason why The Land Before Time doesn't weather adult viewing well is that it's sappy. Extremely sappy. In fact, if it were any sappier, it would have to carry a warning label for diabetics."
So all the trauma and death shown throughout is suited only for babies, huh?
:rolleye

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Oh, these reviews...  :rolleye

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that original LBT was meant to be for general auditory, both children and their parents. Many of raised themes in the movie leaves a good food for grown ups, and its general atmosphere supports this.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
That site doesn't even look legit like IMDb. It looks like it had a popular phase in the 2000s but then crashed and burned yet they're in denial.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
LBT1 is basically "nightmare fuel: the movie". I have no idea what this reviewer is even talking about.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Lol sappy and “nothing for adults?” Oh how ignorant. LBT touches on subjects like belonging, faith, hope, loss, and etc that are universal at all ages. I weep every time I watch it. It has a power to break down walls of “I’m fine,” and make a person confront the trauma & pain tjey have experienced.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Each to their own I guess. But I've gotta wonder if this guy watched a different movie to the rest of us. The first Land Before Time still makes me cry when I watch it. It was one of the few animated films aimed at children that had the guts to show the devastating grief after the death. Oh well, can't please everyone I suppose.  :petrie

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Did this person watch one of the sequels and mistaken it for the original film?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I remember when I was young I got really into Stargate Atlantis. I'd watch each episode as it came out, and it was a very arc-heavy show so I desperately wanted to either talk to someone or read more about each episode in my spare time. Problem was, i was new to the internet and the show didn't have much of an online fan base, at least that I was competent enough to find.

I ended up finding a guy on IMDB who'd leave a review for every single episode like clockwork. The problem was, he appeared to hate the show and just ragged on every episode, criticizing the plot, characters, pacing, cinematography and worldbuilding. My young impressionable mind decided this guy had to be right, because he was posting his opinions on the internet which made him an authority. It actually really soured my opinion of the show until I got a bit older and realized I didn't need to agree with or even pay attention to this random yoohoo whining about a show nobody was forcing him to watch, it was just his opinion and a particularly irrelevant one in the grand scheme of things.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on October 21, 2022, 04:11:23 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on October 21, 2022, 04:11:23 PM
I remember when I was young I got really into Stargate Atlantis. I'd watch each episode as it came out, and it was a very arc-heavy show so I desperately wanted to either talk to someone or read more about each episode in my spare time. Problem was, i was new to the internet and the show didn't have much of an online fan base, at least that I was competent enough to find.

I ended up finding a guy on IMDB who'd leave a review for every single episode like clockwork. The problem was, he appeared to hate the show and just ragged on every episode, criticizing the plot, characters, pacing, cinematography and worldbuilding. My young impressionable mind decided this guy had to be right, because he was posting his opinions on the internet which made him an authority. It actually really soured my opinion of the show until I got a bit older and realized I didn't need to agree with or even pay attention to this random yoohoo whining about a show nobody was forcing him to watch, it was just his opinion and a particularly irrelevant one in the grand scheme of things.

I too am a huge Stargate fan and loved Stargate Atlantis. Always hated that they left it open-ended, we should've at least gotten a movie to wrap its storyline. Thankfully I never let the opinions of others influence the way I felt about a show or a movie, otherwise, I probably wouldn't still be a The Land Before Time fan ;)
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Freckles

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • My OCs
They definitely must have confused it for one of the sequels, or at least I'm hoping that's the case (don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the sequels).

I'm 30, and for personal reasons I won't go into, there are certain scenes that will make me tear up everytime. I still haven't worked up the courage to watch the original movie again since 2017 because of that haha.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
LBT1 is basically "nightmare fuel: the movie". I have no idea what this reviewer is even talking about.

Nightmare fuel:

Sharptooth is very demonic, chasing kids down like unstoppable devil monster.

Littlefoot’s Mom dies.

The Domeheads in the cave.

My nephew when he was 2-4 loved LbT films, but the first one scared him. Sharptooth terrified him.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith