The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

College Majors

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You would be surprised, but these beautiful things appear in nature quite commonly.

If you look at a tree or fern, you will see a slightly fractal pattern. Clouds, lightning, mountains, rivers, and body design all have fractal designs.

Fractals are intertwined with chaos theory.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Math is undoubtedly a very fascinating science. It is amazing how many elements in nature follow mathematical rules. Almost everything (even music) can be described in mathematical formulas and mathematics are so important in so many practical fields that it is absolutely impossible to avoid mathematics in modern life. Nevertheless not everyone is capable of understanding and enjoying the higher levels of mathematics. I cannot enjoy those parts of mathematics which I, being no engineer or of any other profession which requires those levels of mathematics, won't ever need in real life. I respect those who have the ability and the enthusiasm to deal with these higher levels of mathematics which make our modern world possible, but I hope that they also understand that not everyone shares their passion.
I am a historian and most of the numbers I come up with are dates. I have a good memory for historical facts and I can to some degree try to see the world of a given time through the eyes of the people who lived in those days. This too is highly interesting and the day might come when history is put to a more practical purpose when mankind is more willing to learn from the mistakes of the past. But not everyone is interested in the goings on of times long past and the words and actions of people long decayed. I understand that not everyone shares my passion and I won't willingly try to ram history down anyone's throat; but I am very ready to share it with anyone who is interested in it.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm going to major in computer science, which involves a considerable amount of math.  I'm going to a community college next year just to get some practice in my field and then I'm going to go to a real 4-year college and probably go for 6 years.  I make good enough grades to skip 2 years of high school and go straight up to the community college next year.  If I could go to a real college then, I would certainly accept however.  Perhaps community college is best first anyway so I know what to expect.  They said I'd have at least 5-6 hours of homework per night at the community college.  Now that worries me.  How many hours at a real college??? :blink:  :o  :DD

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
What do you mean "real" college? Community colleges are real colleges. You mean 4 year colleges? Communiy colleges are 2 year I believe.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Community colleges aren't real colleges.  They're just something to get your feet wet to get ready for the real thing.  Ya can't get much more out of community college.  You'll just get a job that's a little better than mcdonalds. :rolleyes:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Community colleges aren't real colleges. They're just something to get your feet wet to get ready for the real thing. Ya can't get much more out of community college. You'll just get a job that's a little better than mcdonalds.

That statement really offends me, to be honest.

You can get well paying jobs with a 2 year (community) college. In fact there are very few jobs out there that even require a 4-year degree.

LCCC is a community college that I plan on going to, and it has enough education to help get me a job as an animator. I do not need to transfer to a 4 year college.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Maybe it's different where you're at, but where I'm from, community college will get you maybe $19 an hour as opposed to $7.40

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Around here, I have been taught that very very few jobs even require a 4 year college degree. One of the teachers told us that the idea that 4 year colleges are needed to get any great job is false. 2 year colleges is all that would be needed to get almost any job.

Anyway, back on topic. I hope I'm able to earn a degree for animation, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to attent college. I don't have the money or mode of transportation at this time.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I majored in something that may shock and surprise you:
Industrial Instrumentation Engineering Technology (IIET)

What??  The music nerd didn't study music in college/university?  Nope! :P: (though I'm starting to wish I had... <_<  :( )

I completed the Industrial Instrumentation course in April 2007.  It was a 2-year college program, intended for people wanting to work in both industrial field environments (oil/gas plants, water treatment facilities, mining operations, pulp and paper mills, etc.) and in the development/engineering/project side of these same industries.  My training will also, theoretically, allow me to get a foot in the door in the commercial sector anywhere where instrumentation is used to control a process (heating/cooling/water/natural gas systems in a building, for example, or the temperature control system in general).  
One can expect pay from $20/hr up to well over $40/hr as a starting wage, working in this industry, quickly moving upwards from there within a year or two.

I intended to move into either the water treatment industry, which resides close to the city I live in, or into an office setting, as I have little-to-no interest to work up in Northern Alberta's oilpatch, living in camps with rough-tough oil guys. :lol
The problem is, it seems, landing a job in the office setting seems to be nearly impossible for one who lacks' field work experience, so I am having a difficult time finding a job. My applications to a nearby water station are also getting me nowhere.

Why did I study this program?  My honest answer: I really don't have any skills that I can apply to the "work world", nor do I have any passions that lead themselves to being realistic career paths...therefore I chose something that I could complete in 2 years, which I was "aware" was high-demand in my area, with a solid salary right out of college...

However the "high demand" doesn't seem to be obvious in any way and instead of getting out the door and starting my real life with a few months as intended, I'm still sitting at home, working full-time as a cashier, making $12/hr...not even a living wage. :(

In response, I am taking an AutoCAD (drafting software) training course in college next month to add the knowledge of that software to my resume, which will hopefully help me get a job through a friend of mine.  He suggested that with AutoCAD, I could get a job where he works, which would be a start, anyway...

Deep down, I want to pursue music but I know the financial side of that just isn't possible...I can't afford to study music and I can't afford to work in the music industry...they're just no money in it.  Therefore, I need a Plan B to fall back on.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh, sure there's money in music.  It's just hard to find the job and it'll most likely not be just music but audio as well.  You could do something like sync the audio with the video for a movie production company or something, but those jobs are hard to come by.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
but those jobs are hard to come by.
Exactly...especially where I live. :(
I'm having a hard enough time landing a job in a field where it's supposedly relatively *easy* to get a job..I can only imagine trying to land a job in a field where it's *very difficult* to get one.. :cry

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not sure what jobs are for mathematics. Most are probably government funded.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, if i can find it, one for Animation & the like.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here is another question that is tied with this one: are you going out of your way to understand what you intend to major in? If so, in what ways?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i'm planning on taking computer science and want to become a video game designer... but if that doesn't seem reasonable, then i'll probably do something math/ physics related. Yes lbt/cty_lover there are some people here that do like math, though it seem that your far more passionate about math then i am.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I am not alone anymore. :)

As for my second question, I am going to this webpage, hosted by Yale University, on fractal geometry.

arrogantrex

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I'm honestly not sure... I want to go into English and maybe become a teacher, but at the same time I also want to study languages and maybe become an interpretor or something like that. I'm honestly not sure.

Unfortunately I lost my money for school from trying to stay afloat and out of debt...but I'm trying to save up to go back again. Bad decisions are bad decisions.

All I've really got going for me is my ability to write anyway...least that's what I think...  :unsure: