The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Meaning of the LBT characters' names

action9000 · 122 · 42482

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
When I heard her name I first thought the spelling would be Elly or somethings like that. Ali indeed is more commonly identified as an oriental male name. I don't think I ever found it used as a female name anywhere but in LBT.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Ali is only one of two names I believe where the name isn't based on the character's species name.  The other is Littefoot. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 12 2009 on  06:01 AM
When I heard her name I first thought the spelling would be Elly or somethings like that. Ali indeed is more commonly identified as an oriental male name. I don't think I ever found it used as a female name anywhere but in LBT.
It could be the writers, or whoever named her, liked the name Ali and either thought it was a female sounding name, could be used with either gender, like some names can be, or didn't care.  Using the species name like most folks are does make it easier to come up with a name.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 12 2009 on  01:01 PM
I do! :) A friend of my mom is named Ali and she is a maternity assistant. She actually helped me into this world. :yes

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
Quote from: Mumbling,Jun 12 2009 on  09:13 AM
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 12 2009 on  01:01 PM
I do! :) A friend of my mom is named Ali and she is a maternity assistant. She actually helped me into this world. :yes
She help your mum to deliver you?

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
The name Ali could refer to how she is a wanderer (bringing to mind the image of Middle Eastern nomads). Just a guess but it makes sense if you think about it.

Littlefoot could just be a joke referring to the size of Sauropods in general.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I wonder if several Paleontologists have been shown a screenshot of Ducky and her mother and asked, what sort of dino does she look the most like, and get what their opinions were?
That's a good idea, let's go find some paleontologists. :lol
Sorry, I’m not a paleontologist, but all things considered, I’m probably the next best thing. For those of you who haven’t read my introduction in the Welcome Center, I’ve been reading up on dinosaurs and other extinct animals for as long as I can remember, and I take great pleasure in sharing that information.

Anyway, I can tell you for a fact that, regardless of whatever dinosaur the LBT filmmakers might have intended Ducky to be, she most closely resembles a Saurolophus. The combination of the large, broad bill and spike-shaped crest are the distinguishing characteristics. By comparison, Parasaurolophus had a shorter, narrower, less duck-like bill, and even short-crested species such as P. cyrtocristatus had crests that were curved and tubular, rather than straight and pointed. Curiously enough, Saurolophus is less closely related to Parasaurolophus and other crested hadrosaurs (lambeosaurines) than it is to crestless hadrosaurs (hadrosaurines) such as Anatotitan and Edmontosaurus (formerly Trachodon and Anatosaurus, respectively).

I seriously doubt that Ducky was ever originally intended to be a Parasaurolophus, especially since there are Parasaurolophus in the first movie (you don’t have to look as far as LBT IV). Early in the film, Littlefoot’s egg rolls down a dinosaur skeleton that clearly belongs to a Parasaurolophus, and later on, during the earthshake, a couple of living Parasaurolophus can be seen running by.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Something I thought I’d add to my earlier argument for Ducky’s species: it may be possible that Don Bluth and co. did intend for Ducky to be an Anatosaurus, but changed her to look more like a Saurolophus. (It would be very interesting to look at early conceptual artwork of the characters, so we could see how their designs changed from their initial conceptions to what we see in the movie.) Perhaps they added the crest because they thought it gave Ducky more character (I personally find that the crest greatly enhances Ducky’s cuteness :DD), which, of course, they could only do realistically if they made the adults of her species crested as well.

Obviously, we have no idea what sources Don Bluth used when he was researching dinosaurs for The Land Before Time, but when I compare the LBT dinos (the adults, mainly ;)) to the work of paleo-artists like Charles R. Knight and Zdenek Burian, I can't help but notice similarities. These artists set the standard for how dinosaurs were illustrated for much of the 20th century, and their work is prominently featured in older dinosaur books, so the possibility is high that Bluth used their paintings as the basis for many of his prehistoric characters. However, Saurolophus is one dinosaur that does not appear in the works of either of these artists, and indeed is not commonly seen in paleo-art at all. Its uncrested relatives, however, are virtual staples of prehistoric illustration, and depictions of them were far more likely to have been encountered by Bluth when he was doing his research. As a result, I don't believe it is impossible that the LBT hadrosaurs were based on species such as Anatosaurus and Trachodon, with a saurolophine crest added on for aesthetic appeal.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. The majority of this hypothesis is pure speculation, and maybe Ducky was based on a Saurolophus all along. But it’s an idea I thought I’d throw out there, just in case anyone was interested in hearing it. (Wishful thinking, maybe? :rolleyes)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yep, that's our best guess too and it's already on the list. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, this is just a guess, but...

Do you guys think that the Ozzy we all know could be a reference to Ozzy Osbourne?

It's just a guess. :P:

EDIT: Oh my gosh!

Juliana Hansen - Ali

Could it be?  A reference to the original voice actor? :o

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 12 2009 on  06:01 AM
actually the name Ali is commonly used in the USA as a girl name. its like short for Alison or something.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
note: this is only a joke

I bet I know what Rocky's name is a referance to *music starts up in the background*  the one the only Rocky Balboa the italian stallion.

again it was a joke so hope you enjoyed that :lol

Lilfut

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/JD_Fan_Forum/index.php?showuser=1
Theory I came up with:

Quote from: My twisted mind on  
Ali
Littlefoot
AliLittlefoot
Alittlefoot
A little foot

Ali completes Littlefoot.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm...

Anyone want to start thinking up ideas of how Tricia got her name?

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
I've never actually heard Tricia's name spoken, but I'm assuming it's pronounced "TRISH-ia".

Tric- = Triceratops

-ia = Added on at the end to make her name resemble a human name (Trisha)?

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't know if anyone already know this, but...

Tria + Cera + Topsy = Triceratops

:p

Lilfut

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/JD_Fan_Forum/index.php?showuser=1
Quote from: 2007excalibur2007,Dec 24 2009 on  02:19 AM
I don't know if anyone already know this, but...

Tria + Cera + Topsy = Triceratops

:p
LOL RLY?!

ActionWHAT9000?! already posted that.

For shame.