The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why was Chomper chasing Littlefoot & co in V?

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This, my friends, is one of the things that could make or break the franchise and also lead to a very dark finale movie to the Land Before Time series.  

Things to consider that are very unnevering

1.)  Chomper's comment that he had longneck for breakfast (a lie of course) but still, the fact that his parents didn't seem to doubt him.  Has he eaten leaf eaters, or even, God forbid, longnecks before?

2.)  Why was he chasing them in that canyon scene?  Was it because they just panicked, saw the shadow, and ran, or was Chomper trying to hunt them, before he recognized them?

If 1 and 2 are true, or even if just 1 is true, that kinda bodes ill for some future time when Chomper and Littlefoot are fully grown, if not sooner.

I mean, consider this

1.) Chomper knows where they live

2.) He knows their scent and could stalk them

3.) Littlefoot trusts Chomper completely and would be caught off guard were Chomper to ever give in to his Sharptooth instincts and suddenly view the gang as "food".

Considering that Chomper is hungry one day and encounters them, perhaps in their late teens or something, will there be a Battle of the Heroes (like Anakin vs. Obi-wan) where the two Prehistoric Pals are trying to kill the other, and know they can't go back to being friends now,  finally resulting in Chomper's death at the hands of Littlefoot or other of the other Prehistoric Pals?

(Note: The term Prehistoric Pals is the official term, I heard, for the Gang of Five plus Chomper and Ruby.)  

On the flip side, one could avoid Chomper's death by, if 1 and/or 2 are true, having Littlefoot finally realize that Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike were right about Chomper one day being their enemy in V and, the Gang and Chomper finally deciding, for the safety of his friends, that they can NEVER meet again and they part ways?  This would avoid the "Littlefoot kills Chomper" scenario, but would be  Chomper leaving the Prehistoric Pals, never to return, which, indeed is quite a tearjerker all the same.  

However, does anyone think there is a way to avoid the two scenarios above that I'd rather avoid,  if 1 and/or 2 would still hold true?  Also, do you think it's possible that neither 1 or 2 hold true and this can still work out quite easily?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Chomper was indeed chasing them to hunt for food. The look in his eyes when he finally corners them just screams 'I'm going to kill you'. However, keep in mind that Chomper did not recognize them earlier. Note how he immediately widens his eyes and stops when he saw just who they were.

If Chomper had known who they were right away, then he likely wouldn't have attacked. He only did so because he thought they were just a bunch of random leaf-eaters on the island he and his parents lived on. It was just a misunderstanding, not a loss of control or anything.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Maybe when they get older their scent changes. And i think that since chomper is with them so often, that any signs of change would be pretty easily detectable. Especially if they could faintly smell meat on him. As far as chomper knowing where they live, I've kinda been wondering if T-rexes lose their childhood memory once they reach a certain age or something.  :idea

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Dec 22 2014 on  08:37 AM
Chomper was indeed chasing them to hunt for food. The look in his eyes when he finally corners them just screams 'I'm going to kill you'. However, keep in mind that Chomper did not recognize them earlier. Note how he immediately widens his eyes and stops when he saw just who they were.

If Chomper had known who they were right away, then he likely wouldn't have attacked. He only did so because he thought they were just a bunch of random leaf-eaters on the island he and his parents lived on. It was just a misunderstanding, not a loss of control or anything.
The problem with this theory though is that one would believe that even Littlefoot, who does seem too trusting (heck, the only time I've seen him NOT trust someone was Pterano.) , would pick up on that and would try, along with Cera, to end Chomper.  Cera would probably help out eagerly, still mad about her tail in II.  Heck, remember what happened to Littlefoot's mother, whom it almost seems he mentioned the previous night?   That would certainly be his first thought if he suspected any attempt to kill him.  He certainly had no seconds thought about killing Sharptooth in the first movie.  I think he would have tried to kill Chomper, if only fearing for his own life, if he believed that.  See how Ali's herd was willing to stomp Chomper, even if he was young and could talk, because of they feared he was dangerous.  

Also, the fact that the gang NEVER asks why he chased them hints at a less sinister reason, as they never asked.  How do you explain that?  

Heck, the similarity here to the shadow scene in II is pretty similar.   It may have just been the makers trying to scare us in V, that's all.  

I'm not saying you're not right, as it kinda LOOKED that way in V, but the fact that no questions were asked and Littlefoot never doubted Chomper makes me think that Littlefoot is incredibly niave or that it wasn't what you said it was.

Also, let's not forget, how he needed to take several tries before he could pull off a convincing attack look in Brave Longneck Scheme.   If that was planned to hunt them in V, he coulda done it easily in Brave Longneck Scheme.  

(Another problem with their plan that I saw, besides not thinking the grownups might try and kill Chomper is, what if Ai ran for it too instead of sticking around to find out that the whole thing was a prank on Rhett?  That could have easily happened! )

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Even if the Gang thought that Chomper was trying to hunt them in the fifth movie, Littlefoot probably realized that Chomper stopped because he recognized the gang. Chomper wouldn't kill his friends, but he was okay with killing them before he knew.

Littlefoot wanting to kill Chomper after that is probably going too far, but I wonder if Littlefoot ever had the realization, that Chomper would kill leaf eaters he didn't know for food? It might be niavity on his part, but he must have thought about it at some point. He never asked Chomper this? I wonder if Littlefoot would still want to be friends with Chomper if he figured that out? If my writing, I'd have Littlefoot comes to terms with that, and still want to be friends with Chomper, after that got out, but in the 5th movie, he's known Chomper a lot less. He wouldn't be as close of friends as they are in my fics, so don't know how that would work, exactly.

about the staged startooth attackin the brave sharptooth test, it was mostly the rest of the gang that was messing up on their part. My bigger question with that episode is what if Rhett actually stayed to face Chomper? Would the whole thing be called off then? Would Chomper have actually tried to hurt Rhett, maybe out of being in the moment, and forgetting that this was just staged, or maybe just wanting to hurt Rhett because he'd been taking advantage of Littlefoot's friend, Ali??
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Dec 22 2014 on  08:28 PM
Even if the Gang thought that Chomper was trying to hunt them in the fifth movie, Littlefoot probably realized that Chomper stopped because he recognized the gang. Chomper wouldn't kill his friends, but he was okay with killing them before he knew.

Littlefoot wanting to kill Chomper after that is probably going too far, but I wonder if Littlefoot ever had the realization, that Chomper would kill leaf eaters he didn't know for food? It might be niavity on his part, but he must have thought about it at some point. He never asked Chomper this? I wonder if Littlefoot would still want to be friends with Chomper if he figured that out? If my writing, I'd have Littlefoot comes to terms with that, and still want to be friends with Chomper, after that got out, but in the 5th movie, he's known Chomper a lot less. He wouldn't be as close of friends as they are in my fics, so don't know how that would work, exactly.

about the staged startooth attackin the brave sharptooth test, it was mostly the rest of the gang that was messing up on their part. My bigger question with that episode is what if Rhett actually stayed to face Chomper? Would the whole thing be called off then? Would Chomper have actually tried to hurt Rhett, maybe out of being in the moment, and forgetting that this was just staged, or maybe just wanting to hurt Rhett because he'd been taking advantage of Littlefoot's friend, Ali??
Chomper would have had to have been braindead to attempt an attack in the Great Valley with so many witnesses and in broad daylight!    :bang

Also, I'm sure if he tried, Ruby would be oh so-not understanding and wouldn't want to help him anymore.  

Also, I think he was kidding when he said "I wonder if Rhett tastes good."

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Dec 22 2014 on  08:28 PM

Yeah, but you'd think Littlefoot would think, especially in the TV series, "What if he tries to eat our folks?  He never met them."  

Also, Chomper could have killed them while sleeping, he really had that chance.  Littlefoot didn't try and save himself but took the time to wake the others, especially Cera, who was a bit slow.  

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
LittlefootandAliTogether, please try to refrain from double/triple posting. If you have more to say when no one else has responded yet, please edit your posts.

As for the picture of Chomper glaring, yes it is disturbing. I think that's what they were going for. Have Chomper look pretty feral. After all, he's on a hunt. Of course, the glare becomes less scary when Chomper realizes who it is he was chasing.