The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Need assistance for LBT Game Development!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess screenshots of the various kinds of dinos would help those who'll be doing cgi of them, or would they rather make the models from scratch?  I've not ever done graphics work so would not know, or is 2d better?

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Okay, well, I couldn't wait to start using Blender, so I downloaded it. I've gotta say, I'm really having a blast! I still can't promise anything anytime soon, but I'll keep you posted :)

Also, I had a thought:
3D modeling seems to predominantly be about finding the simple shapes in characters. As this is also the basis for 2D animation, that means the simple shapes in the character models from the movies/tv show could be of great use to anyone doing 3D modeling for this project. Now on to the point. As a 2D animator, I'm well versed at finding the aforementioned simple shapes. If I studied a lot of screenshots of the gang and possibly some of the supporting characters, I could theoretically make accurate model sheets detailing their simple shapes. Now, I would definitely be doing this for any character I ended up modeling, but the question is would anyone else find this useful? If so I'd be happy to do the job for any character needed and post it for public viewing.

I hope that was useful at all, haha. Sorry if I'm just rambling, I'm new to this whole forum concept.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That might be very useful to the right person!  I'm not a 3d guy but Littlefoot1616 may be interested in what you're up to. :)  I'll point him to your post next time I see him.  Much appreciated, DarkWolf! :D

Note to everyone:
I won't really be needing much help in the immediate future because most of the work at this point is programming.  3d models and 2d interface graphics are the most useful things to me at this point. :p

Other than that, tasks, locations, etc. can all come much later.  We want to finish this one map of the game before moving on. :)

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you, I appreciate it!

Also! I just thought of something. If you need any of environment elements modeled as well, i.e. different trees, cliffs, rocks, flower things, etc., it might be wise for modelers to work on those things first to hone their skills. It'd be a good warm up for much more complex character models, plus it's probably something that needs to be done anyways.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Right you are!

I do plan on using software such as TreeMagic and PlantLife to generate some tree and plant models later on, to make the 3d modellers' lives easier...that is, unless the 3d people are willing to make us a ton of trees!

It would be ideal to have us make our own trees anyway because the trees generated by TreeMagic are not prehistoric species.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I would be happy to model some trees! I think if we modeled our own, it would make for a richer environment. There's always the option of making a single model for each species of tree, along with some slight variations for a more naturallistic look, and then just using multiples of said model for forrested areas. If that's do-able, as far as programming goes. Sadly I don't know much about programming, though I've been meaning to research it.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Everything you mentioned is completely managable for our game!  Thank you very much for your enthusiasm!

All I have to do now is keep up! :p Programming likes to eat up huge chunks of time. :lol

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So there may be 2 folks involved in the 3d modeling? Sounds like the beginnings of a team.  Maybe each can share tips with the other.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This topic is outdated so I'm closing it.  Please see the stickied topic on top of this forum for the latest progress and needs of the game. :)