The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dinosonas

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I'm just curious, what type of dinosaur would you like to be and if you already have an idea you can put it's bio here if you want. :) You can also post it's picture here if you want.

I would LOVE to be a Pteranodon or a Rhamphorhynchus. :D

I still need to think of the bio though. :p

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I am at a loss as to what dinosaur I would be... I think I'm too ingrained in being a human to make a good make-believe dinosaur.

Also, I have noticed that a lot of the threads in here haven't been getting too many replies - I suspect a lot of GoF members are on vacation or simply out enjoying the sun.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hard choice for me.  I'd have to think it over a lot more.  Maybe a flyer or a swimmer.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
While I'm probably most similar to a yellow belly (an absentminded, corpulent klutz who loves to eat, acts on impulses, and is overall rather funny-looking :p), I think I'd most like to be a flyer of some kind. Not only do I love pterosaurs, but I would feel much safer in a world full of sharpteeth and other dangers if I had the ability to fly. Plus, my neurotic and high-strung personality seems like like it would fit a flyer like Petrie quite well. I'm afraid I don't quite know what to post in terms of a full "dinosona," though. (I've unfamiliar with posting alternative identities.) It might help if somebody else posted a dinosona, so I could better understand the concept... :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Never thought I’d be the first one to post a dinosona in this thread, but since joining Rat Lady’s RP “In the Land Before Time” (in which GOF members have the opportunity to become dinosaurs), I’ve decided that it would be useful for the other RPers to know what my dinosaur form looks like. So here’s my best attempt at a depiction of myself as a dinosaur:

My dinosona is a Microraptor like Guido, but fully grown (I’m presently 21 years old). I estimated that he’d be about half again as large as Guido. In the position I drew him in, he’d be about tall enough to make eye contact with Cera or Chomper. If he stood as upright as Guido usually does, he’d be even taller, but I decided to give his spine a more horizontal slant, closer to the body posture of a real Microraptor. You can also see that I gave him a longer muzzle and more robust tail; features that I thought would make him appear more “adult”. The hand, outstretched in what I attempted to make look like a friendly but nervous wave (appropriate for my personality), is considerably smaller than Guido’s, but that’s because I intended it to be a real, flesh-and-bone hand, not the “feather-fingers“ Guido seems to have.

It took me several days to create the finished drawing you see here. As is inevitable with such a nitpicking perfectionist as myself, there are many details that cause me to still not be completely happy with it. :rolleyes: For one thing, the red coloration turned out brighter than I would have liked. (I was hoping for a slightly darker hue, closer to maroon, but this was the closest I could achieve with the colored pencils I used for this drawing.) I chose his coloration for a number of reasons:
ï I like the color red. :p
ï Not many LBT characters are colored red, so I thought it would be more original.
ï I wear a lot of maroon turtleneck shirts, so I thought that by making my dinosona the same color, he would, to some effect, resemble me. (I also own a down comforter that is not only red on one side, but also a sort of light yellowish beige on the other. If I wrap myself in it and hold the sides of it out like wings, I look quite a bit like my dinosona. :p)
ï While my hair is brown, my parents tell me that there’s a hint of red in it (it was more prominent when I was younger). I thought that giving my dinosona plumage that matched my hair color exactly would be too boring, so I made him redder, but again with the intent of making his appearance reflect mine to some degree.

I wasn’t sure what to write for a biography, but here are some personality traits of mine that my dinosona displays in the RP:
ï Extremely high-strung and nervous. When startled, his usual reaction is to jump, and then freeze in place in a tensed-up (and often rather ridiculous-looking) position.
ï Sensitive to loud noises, especially high-pitched ones.
ï Very shy. Finds it overwhelming to be surrounded by a crowd, becoming twitchy and quick to panic.
ï Prefers not to be the center of attention, but dislikes being left out of social situations even more.
ï Very poor at initiating conversations; prefers to wait for someone to address him first, or find an already-running conversation where he can interject.
ï Tries to be helpful whenever possible, and makes a strong effort to be friendly to anyone he meets.
ï Usually meek and timid, but can be deceptively stubborn if he becomes determined to accomplish something.
ï Doesn’t like to hurt anyone, physically or emotionally, and takes special pains to avoid doing the latter.
ï Prefers to premeditate everything he says; tends to stammer if forced to come up with words on the spot.
ï Has difficulty expressing most emotions, and finds demonstrating empathy to be almost impossible. Very self-conscious of this, as he fears it makes him appear insensitive.
ï Worryingly absentminded, with a poor memory for names and faces (especially human ones).
ï Fascinated by just about any natural object; frequently pauses to scrutinize leaves, insects, rocks, fungi, and tree bark as if they were fine art (which, in his mind, they are :lol).
ï Predominantly logical and scientific in his way of thinking.
ï Has a somewhat dry and often subtle sense of humor, which frequently manifests itself in the form of casually uttered wisecracks.
ï His “catchphrase”, used mostly when he is surprised or has realized something significant, is “Holy buckets!”

So, to those of you participating in the RP, now you know what you're looking at when you're interacting with me. ;)

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(Wow, that was fast. :lol)

Thanks! :^.^:

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah great drawing!

It's like a boy version of Syndra.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I would draw mine too but since I'm bad at art I'll probally avoid doing so- or will I.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I'm working on a fan-fic at the moment that will tell the story of my character, or at least give him a background story for the forum. Only real problem I have is that I'm trying to tell his backstory, and what will ultimately happen to him, and two bonus stories which don't entirely fit (His POV of the arrival of the parents to the GV, and something in the middle of the two stories). I've got a structure for it (It's being told as a story, like Grandpa Longneck did in 6), only problem is it's still a bit odd.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if this is really a dinosaur version of me, but I'll definately RP as him.

EDIT: Solved it. Changed one of the opening lines, and merged the other two stories together.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice picture.  Very well done.   :yes

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you all for your comments. :)

Quote from: Caustizer,Oct 1 2009 on  05:07 PM
Yeah great drawing!

It's like a boy version of Syndra.
Gaaahh, I was afraid you would say that! :p Yeah, I had hoped to color him a deeper shade of red, but those colored pencils of mine are so danged limited in the range of colors they offer. :rolleyes The only thing I remember from your description of Syndra's appearance was that she was "a light scarlet". (I don't recall what other colors you described her as having, if any.) So, hopefully, my dinosona is at least a little darker than her.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Don't feel to bad.  You did a good job with the drawing.   :yes

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
This drawing  is exceptional! You did very well on this, and deserve the praise! :yes

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks. :yes

If I may ask, what DID I do well on, specifically? For that matter, how do you think I could improve it? I could use some constructive criticism. :)

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Well...since you asked.

1. The color: while not clearly the color you wanted, it is indeed a very rich and vibrant color. As are also the secondary colors you chose for the feathers.

2. The line art: Almost looking as if it were professionally done by the LBT artists, it shows a great command of the visual arts as well as desire to put your ideas down with a pencil and pen.

3. The bio: It describes almost in perfect detail what he likes, dislikes and prefers in his daily life. Even as a Dinosona it is extremely detailed, and that can make for a very well rounded character.

And for now that's all I've got...hope that clears things up! ;)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you immensely. :D

Quote from: The Great Valley Guardian,Oct 2 2009 on  12:54 AM
1. The color: while not clearly the color you wanted, it is indeed a very rich and vibrant color. As are also the secondary colors you chose for the feathers.
I'm glad you think it's good. I selected colors from three separate boxes of different colored pencils, to find the tones closest to what I wanted. I had an idea of what colors I wanted my dinosona to have ever since I first introduced him in the RP (long before I ever started the drawing). My original concept was maroon body plumage with tawny yellow feathers on the underside of the wings and body. Then I watched LBT XII again, and saw that Guido's belly and underwings were different colors. So I went with a somewhat paler shade on his underside than I had originally envisioned, and more vivid yellows for the wings and plumes. I tried muting the colors a little on the scanned image before I uploaded it, but it didn't work. <_<

2. The line art: Almost looking as if it were professionally done by the LBT artists, it shows a great command of the visual arts as well as desire to put your ideas down with a pencil and pen.
That's a HUGE compliment. Thank you very much. :yes I should mention, though, that I did A LOT of referencing on this picture. I had one of a number of screenshots of Guido on the monitor in front of me the whole time I was drawing it, to make sure I got the look and shape of the character just right. After completing the initial drawing in pencil, scanning, and printing copies of it, I made half a dozen attempts to outline it in ink for extra clarity (a couple of which I gave up on before I had outlined the entire image). Finally, on the seventh try, I managed an outline with minimal enough kinks and squiggles that I was satisfied with it. I then scanned and copied it again, and added the colors.

3. The bio: It describes almost in perfect detail what he likes, dislikes and prefers in his daily life. Even as a Dinosona it is extremely detailed, and that can make for a very well rounded character.
In case I wasn't clear before, that's MY personality I was describing. :lol :oops Because my dinosona IS me (or me as I appear in the RP), I described him as I would describe myself. I always make a strong effort to keep characters in character when I write, and in the case of the RP, that goes for me as well. The way I act in the RP is pretty much exactly how I am in person. Granted, in the RP, my dinosona does a couple of things that I wouldn't normally do (jumping off a cliff, for instance :p), but in general, what you see of my RP selfóthe language; the nervousness; the mannerisms; the analytical mode of thinking; even the way I slur certain words when I speakóit's all me. :smile

EDIT: Check that; yesterday I listened to a recording of myself talking, and realized that I stammer much, MUCH more in real life than my character in the RP. :blink: You other RPers can all feel thankful for that little inconsistency. :p

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
ALDSKGBUWDILN0]XEU[[INOQ=UWV EFNQ0!!!!!!!

This is an EPIC dinosona Pangea!

I love your character already looking over this. ^^

I have yet to post my dinosona...I will eventually, but the drawings of her would have to wait longer then usual....

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have no idea what that first line meant, :p but thank you very much! :smile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Haha, it just meant I was very impressed and surprised by your charrie (character). :3

So I had nothing to say. :yes