The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Chomper Theory

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Chomper has been a favorite character of mine since I saw LBTII: The Great Valley Adventure. I remember when The Big Freeze came out, I hoped Chomper would have cameo or visit in a sequel, and to my delight he was reoccurring character in LBT Series and was featured in Journey of the Brave (LBT XIV).

I wanted to raise a theory about Chomper I have and his relationship with Leaf Eaters (Herbivores). There are many who hold to opinion that Chomper once he become an adult Carnivour will devour the Gang of Five (Six, if you count Ruby). I actually wish to humbly object to this on basis of reality. As humans we eat meat, chicken, beef, pork, and etc. When I order food like a chicken sandwhich I am behaving in same manner Chomper's parents did, eating what gives proper susitance; but if I were to raise a chicken or cow from infancy, feed them, name them, and even play with them; I would develop a bond and the said chicken or cow would be domesticated and know me; becoming pets. In this regard I think Chomper has developed this bond with the Gang of Five, and so when he sees them he does not think of food which is made up of their kind, because he developed a connection with them from a hatchling

Feel free to contest my theory, but I think Chomper is as likely to eat the Gang of Five and Ruby as we would our beloved dog, cat, bird, turtle, and fish.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Longneck3050

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I disagree with you. Chomper knew them since he was a baby and still does now. A theory is that if he never met them, he would've ate them in 5. As Long as Chomper knows his friends, chances of him eating them are unlikely.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Longneck3050,Sep 27 2017 on  04:25 PM
I disagree with you. Chomper knew them since he was a baby and still does now. A theory is that if he never met them, he would've ate them in 5. As Long as Chomper knows his friends, chances of him eating them are unlikely.
My theory is in regards to argument that once Chomper becomes an adult like his mother and father he will get a lizard brain and want to eat the Gang of Five. I am refuting this claim by explaining that familiarity with Gang of Five has made Chomper like us having pet cow or chicken, that we won't eat because we are close to them; though we will eat other chickens and cows.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Quote from: Longneck3050,Sep 27 2017 on  06:25 PM
However the predatory instincts of a carnivore could overtake him like in II and V with Cera and Littlefoot respectively. We don't really know for sure if he will see them as food or not when he grows up, but it is definitely a possibility. Bugs cannot feed a young Tyrannosaurus forever.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Longneck3050

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hypnobrai,Sep 27 2017 on  04:57 PM
However the predatory instincts of a carnivore could overtake him like in II and V with Cera and Littlefoot respectively. We don't really know for sure if he will see them as food or not when he grows up, but it is definitely a possibility. Bugs cannot feed a young Tyrannosaurus forever.
Only time will tell if he sees or not sees his friends as food.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hypnobrai,Sep 27 2017 on  04:57 PM
I think the answer is found in First Masgascar film with Alex the Lion (played by Ben Stiller).  :DD   :smile

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Longneck3050,Sep 27 2017 on  05:08 PM
Hmm... Madagascar
Alex the Lion at first became kinda rabid, wanting to feed on his best friends, but he overcame this instinct with love for his friends. I envision a similar scene for Chomper and Gang of Five.

Longneck3050

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Sep 27 2017 on  05:56 PM
Quote from: Longneck3050,Sep 27 2017 on  05:08 PM
Hmm... Madagascar
Alex the Lion at first became kinda rabid, wanting to feed on his best friends, but he overcame this instinct with love for his friends. I envision a similar scene for Chomper and Gang of Five.
How interesting
Alex in Madagascar
Chomper in Land Before Time
Hope the 2 will end in the same result: Friends, not Food

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's assuming Chomper stays in the Great Valley all the way until he matures.

Most fanfictions I see of Chomper's future have him either being banished, or choosing to leave himself, so his friends will be safe, and that what I personally believe would happen.

Chomper himself might be worried about his predatory instincts coming to the fore, hence wanting to leave his friends behind in order to keep them safe from him.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Sep 27 2017 on  07:31 PM

Most fanfictions I see of Chomper's future have him either being banished, or choosing to leave himself, so his friends will be safe, and that what I personally believe would happen.

Chomper himself might be worried about his predatory instincts coming to the fore, hence wanting to leave his friends behind in order to keep them safe from him.
Although LBT V shows that Chomper's Parents are able to get past their instincts when they see the Gang of Five help rescue Chomper from drowning. If its possible for Chomper's parents to overhaul their instincts, then I think Chomper could.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Sep 28 2017 on  12:22 AM
but if I were to raise a chicken or cow from infancy, feed them, name them, and even play with them; I would develop a bond and the said chicken or cow would be domesticated and know me; becoming pets. In this regard I think Chomper has developed this bond with the Gang of Five, and so when he sees them he does not think of food which is made up of their kind, because he developed a connection with them from a hatchling
yes, obvious, this.
He would atack them only if he would be in insane state. Or if he doesn't recognize them somehow. Or in self-defence...

besides, LBT's character are pretty much more humanized. So JUST pure instincts works much weaker in this world. Chomper's personality and mind wouldn't let him just one day kill someone from his friends.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Sep 28 2017 on  12:48 AM
Quote from: vonboy,Sep 27 2017 on  07:31 PM

Although LBT V shows that Chomper's Parents are able to get past their instincts when they see the Gang of Five help rescue Chomper from drowning. If its possible for Chomper's parents to overhaul their instincts, then I think Chomper could.
Chomper keeping his instincts at bay is a nice thought, but would Chomper still be living with his friends when he's an adult? He'd still have to hunt for his food. Don't know what his friends would think about it. Littlefoot might look past it, and still love him, but not sure aobut the rest of the gang.

Also, what if there's a time he can't find any other food? What if he finds himself stuck with his friends, and there's no other animals around? What would he do then?

I still stink he'd want to move out. Maybe try to keep in contact with his friends somehow, but not living with them anymore.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Longneck3050

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I wonder if Chomper would be the gang's bodyguard when there adults.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Sep 28 2017 on  04:29 AM
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Sep 28 2017 on  12:22 AM
but if I were to raise a chicken or cow from infancy, feed them, name them, and even play with them; I would develop a bond and the said chicken or cow would be domesticated and know me; becoming pets. In this regard I think Chomper has developed this bond with the Gang of Five, and so when he sees them he does not think of food which is made up of their kind, because he developed a connection with them from a hatchling
yes, obvious, this.
He would atack them only if he would be in insane state. Or if he doesn't recognize them somehow. Or in self-defence...

besides, LBT's character are pretty much more humanized. So JUST pure instincts works much weaker in this world. Chomper's personality and mind wouldn't let him just one day kill someone from his friends.
Well said Snik. LBT dinosaurs have Ana morphisms, human characterisitics like speaking English (or whatever langaugae your movies are dubbed), and their mannerisms and behavior, and desires are more in synch with human ones.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Sep 28 2017 on  12:48 AM
Quote from: vonboy,Sep 27 2017 on  07:31 PM

Chomper keeping his instincts at bay is a nice thought, but would Chomper still be living with his friends when he's an adult? He'd still have to hunt for his food. Don't know what his friends would think about it. Littlefoot might look past it, and still love him, but not sure aobut the rest of the gang.

Also, what if there's a time he can't find any other food? What if he finds himself stuck with his friends, and there's no other animals around? What would he do then?

I still stink he'd want to move out. Maybe try to keep in contact with his friends somehow, but not living with them anymore.

You raise some astute points. If Chomper and the Gang were marooned on an island, and all Chomper hade to eat was the Gang, would he eat them? Depends if as Snik said earlier if Chomper goes into insane famine mode. Personally, I think Chomper as an adult Tyrannosaurus, would make his friends food after intially resisting. :D 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 07:33:44 AM by Gentle Sharptooth »

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile

Actually, if I remember correctly (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), Chomper's parents also were opposed to eating the gang because they had been in that patch of stinky grass. I mean, Chomper's dad DID smell Littlefoot and then whispered to his mate that the kids probably wouldn't taste good if they "smelled that bad anyway" (or something along those lines). Who knows what would've happened if the gang's current smell didn't pose a factor?

Also, I agree with the theory that Chomper will eventually leave the Valley once he matures in order to save his friends. Though I do think he'll still retain all the good memories he has of them. Sharpteeth aren't mindless beasts, after all.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Actually, if I remember correctly (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), Chomper's parents also were opposed to eating the gang because they had been in that patch of stinky grass. I mean, Chomper's dad DID smell Littlefoot and then whispered to his mate that the kids probably wouldn't taste good if they "smelled that bad anyway" (or something along those lines). Who knows what would've happened if the gang's current smell didn't pose a factor?

Also, I agree with the theory that Chomper will eventually leave the Valley once he matures in order to save his friends. Though I do think he'll still retain all the good memories he has of them. Sharpteeth aren't mindless beasts, after all.

So the solution is for the Gang to have stinky grass on them at all times. This way no Sharptooth, even Chomper would take a bite lol :D

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Sep 28 2017 on  12:48 AM

You raise some astute points. If Chomper and the Gang were marooned on an island, and all Chomper hade to eat was the Gang, would he eat them? Depends if as Snik said earlier if Chomper goes into insane famine mode. Personally, I think Chomper as an adult Tyrannosaurus, would make his friends food after intially resisting. :D

Dang, the thing that makes this scenario even more tragic in the end of it is that once Chomper caves in to his hunger and eats the Gang, he would most likely die and starve afterwards anyway, since the Gang is his only food source. So, it’s a lose-lose situation in the end. Either the Gang mourns the loss of their beloved Sharptooth friend and also commend him on his courage to fight his instincts, or he dies alone after a quick snack on the Gang with huge regret and remorse.

Although, if Chomper could learn to swim and hunt for fish/other aquatic creatures, perhaps this could be a happy end for all. :D

Let’s not forget, Pterosaurs and other flying dinosaurs could visit the island if they so desire, also landing occasional food for Chomper on the deserted island.

So hypothetically, all hope is not lost. :chompysmile

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Although, if Chomper could learn to swim and hunt for fish/other aquatic creatures, perhaps this could be a happy end for all. :D

Let’s not forget, Pterosaurs and other flying dinosaurs could visit the island if they so desire, also landing occasional food for Chomper on the deserted island.

So hypothetically, all hope is not lost. :chompysmile
Indeed, all hope is not lost...except for Mo and Pterano.