The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Civilization

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As an avid fan of Alpha Centauri and Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire, I have been waiting for a sequel for around 15 years now.  Even though this game will not be a direct sequel (EA owns the rights to the Alpha Centauri brand) I am still looking forward to seeing how they develop the concept.  From what I have read about the features in the upcoming game, it truly sounds impressive indeed.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm looking forward to Beyond Earth. Since I enjoyed Civ 5 so much, I think a 'different version' of the game is definitely welcome. It looks pretty good so far, so lets hope it is!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last week, I finally got around to purchasing the Gods & Kings expansion pack for Civ V. I've played one game so far, and I can already see a lot of differences.

It's not just the addition of religion and espionage; the entire tech tree has been altered and expanded, and in addition to some new wonders, the bonuses from some of the existing ones have been altered. Needless to say, this has completely thrown off the standard strategy I've been using on regular Civ V for the last few months.

However, I still like this game a lot. Plus, I now have an additional 51 achievements to unlock. I've already gotten seven of them, obviously among the easiest ones. The hardest ones will undoubtedly be on the scenarios, needing to win as a certain civ on a high difficulty level. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. The next step for me right now will be to try out some of the new civs (and earn the achievements relating to them).

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm rather curious for Civilization Beyond Earth scheduled for fall. To me Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri has in several respects been the best of the entire Civilization series and I very, very much hope that they will come up with a worthy successor.
I got a kind of "personal wishlist" for a new civilization game it alast that list is likely to remain just that, wishfull thinking.
The previously mentioned option of making individual tiles a subject to diplomatic negotiations (without the need to annex a town for them) would be one thing.
I've also always been fancying the idea of the game getting an (optional) tactical level in addition to the strategic map we know. E.g. when to enemy units move to the same tile to start a combat you get the option to "zoom in" and move units on a larger scale map to make individual decision such as occupying high ground, entrenching troups, laying in ambush etc. (I do realize that to a degree the first two options are available on the strategic map, but I think that a more detailed tactical level would for example allow for a much better use of the skills which the troops can get for their experience). Moreover this would allow for a much more realistic and ballanced implementation of ranged weapons (no longer a need for troops to loose range with technological advances as is the case with archers > musketeers in Civilization V).
One thing I very much hope they might addopt from Alpha Centauri is the unit designer where you could assemble your own units by combining types of chassis (infantry, motorized, ship, plane etc.) with different types of armor, weapons and special abilities.
The possibility to coordinate battle plans with an allie is another feature of Alpha Centauri which I hope they will pick up again.
Last but not least it would be great if they could at last get rid of one of the most annoying aspects ever since the very first Civilization game, namely the unsatisfying experience of having spend many rounds on building a wonder just to be told that someone else beat you to it and that you get a bit of cash instead. This is not only extremely frustrating but also highly unrealistic :bang
I thought of two different ways in which this problem could be met. One would be that the moment one civilization starts building a wonder the said wonder does no longer appear as an option to others. To avoid "reserving wonders" by just starting to build them and then switch to something else one could make it a rule that once started the construction of wonders cannot be stopped without loosing any progress made so far.
Another option could be to just allow the building of "a wonder" without previous knowledge of what it is going to be but once it is done you can decide either for one of the wonders still available (with the cost of wonders getting higher in more advanced ages) or else you could determine in which field (science, military, trade, culture, religion etc.) the wonder is to produce bonuses and the type of wonder is determined based on that decision. Getting rid of the painful annoyance of wasted time, efford and resources for wonders which you didn't even know someone else was striving for (in Alpha Centauri you were informed if another faction was building a wonder and you had the option to speed the wonder building with additional payments which may be a bit unfair but which spared you the previously described frustration).

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,May 14 2014 on  05:51 AM
Last but not least it would be great if they could at last get rid of one of the most annoying aspects ever since the very first Civilization game, namely the unsatisfying experience of having spend many rounds on building a wonder just to be told that someone else beat you to it and that you get a bit of cash instead. This is not only extremely frustrating but also highly unrealistic :bang
I thought of two different ways in which this problem could be met. One would be that the moment one civilization starts building a wonder the said wonder does no longer appear as an option to others. To avoid "reserving wonders" by just starting to build them and then switch to something else one could make it a rule that once started the construction of wonders cannot be stopped without loosing any progress made so far.
Another option could be to just allow the building of "a wonder" without previous knowledge of what it is going to be but once it is done you can decide either for one of the wonders still available (with the cost of wonders getting higher in more advanced ages) or else you could determine in which field (science, military, trade, culture, religion etc.) the wonder is to produce bonuses and the type of wonder is determined based on that decision. Getting rid of the painful annoyance of wasted time, efford and resources for wonders which you didn't even know someone else was striving for (in Alpha Centauri you were informed if another faction was building a wonder and you had the option to speed the wonder building with additional payments which may be a bit unfair but which spared you the previously described frustration).
I agree whole-hardheartedly.  :yes How wonders were handled always seemed to be the most unrealistic and annoying aspect of the game.  On a related note, I also quite like the option on Alpha Centauri where you could prevent the selecting of actual technologies, but rather select a tech focus.  If both of these options were in the new game, then neither the wonders or the technologies would be directly selected, but rather they would be a stab in the dark.  Just like how actual technological progress is made.  We may be conducting research in a certain area, but we cannot foresee the direct consequences of those choices.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Recently got Civ V off of Steam(only the vanilla game as of now, I hope to get the expansions and DLC eventually.) I mostly play as the Greeks and very rarely China and England. I do like to use modded Civs as well.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Some gameplay footage was released for Civilization: Beyond Earth.  A gameplay walkthrough has also been posted.  So far, it is looking good.  :yes

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Civ 5 is free to play this week in anticipation of Beyond Earth coming out this Friday.

http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-5-is-f...play-this-week/

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Has anybody purchased the game besides rhombus? And is somebody already able to give a review (not so many spoilers though)? :) I'm referring to "Beyond Earth" of course ;)

Another thing. A while ago some of us had been considering playing a multiplayer game of Civ IV in the GoF Skype Chat. Is there still interest in organising such an event? :) I recall rhombus, vonboy, Malte279 and yours truly taking interest in such a game.
Inactive, probably forever.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I remain interested in that multiplayer Civ 4 session. Be aware though that I have next to zero experience with multiplayer gaming and may ask "stupid questions" at first ;)

With regard to my interest in "Beyond Earth" I would be a lot more interested it it was following "Alpha Centauri" more (which all reviews I saw emphasize it doesn't). The reviews stress it being closer to Civilization V. While I like Civilization V it never gave me the same enthusiasm as I had for Alpha Centauri.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would be very interested in a multiplayer Civilization 4 game.  Though it would probably take us quite a few sessions to finish a game, I think that the Earth (18 civ) map would be quite interesting.  Though there might be a few disagreements on who gets Germany and America.  ;) We would need to work out the best times to organize such a game, however.  I am available during the day on Thursdays and Fridays (noon-7pm CST, which would be 7pm-2am German time.)

As for Civilization: Beyond Earth, my opinion of it thus far is somewhat positive though there are a few areas of disappointment.  On the good side the game utilizes the Civilization V engine which is a proven system that does its job relatively well.  If you are familiar with the trade system in Civ 5 then you will be well acquainted with its equivalent in this game.  The cultural expansion of borders, bombardment system, and happiness system (now called health, but the principal is roughly the same) is very similar to Civ 5.  So in terms of gameplay mechanics I have few complaints.

Likewise, there are a few interesting additions.  

TECH WEB

The tech web adds variety to the research system in that different civilizations can research technologies in very different directions.  Having each technology have 2 secondary techs is also an interesting idea that makes sense when you consider how actual technological development happens.  

AFFINITY SYSTEM AND UNIT UPGRADES

Also the affinity system is quite fascinating.  By performing certain quests (which can involve anything from using explorers to observe ruins or simply making a choice between two options), researching certain technologies, or taking other actions then you can gain ranks in one of three affinities.  The purity affinity favors keeping humanity human and making the planet more like earth, the supremacy affinity favors mechanical augmentation of humanity in order to make them independent of their environment, and the harmony affinity favors biological modification to become more like a native lifeform of the planet.  As you take ranks in the affinities you gain certain benefits and can upgrade your units.  In fact, the new units are not really discovered so much from researching technology.  Rather as you increase in ranks then you can select how to upgrade your units based upon a few choices.  The upgrade options in this game are far fewer than what existed in Alpha Centauri.  As you upgrade the units, each copy of the unit in your army automatically upgrades.  Obsolete units are not really an issue in this game.

ALIENS

There are alien units which act in a similar manner to barbarians in Civilization V.  However, there are some differences.  For one thing, if you choose the harmony affinity then you can make your own alien units which can be quite powerful.  Furthermore, aliens tend to ignore military units unless you attack them first and make them hostile, though Colonists (Settlers) will be killed by any aliens in the area.  They can be quite an obstacle early on, but later in the game (as you unlock new units) the aliens are much less of an issue.

CUSTOMIZATION

When you start a game you select many aspects of your civilization (er... faction.)  For one thing you select your backer, which is the equivalent of your civilization.  Each faction has unique attributes (for example ARC has bonuses to covert actions) which can suit some gaming strategies but be less suitable to others.  You also pick your colonists (scientists, artists, aristocrats, etc.) which will determine their skill set and give a set bonus per city (for example, scientists will give you +2 science per city.)  You also pick your cargo (which determines what unit, building, or bonus you start with) and your spacecraft (which can give you an energy bonus, allow you more freedom to pick your landing area, or give you more information on the terrain around your landing area.)  All of these make your start quite customizable and unique.  Which also leads to the major issue that I have with the game...

A LACK OF PERSONALITY

Due to the customization of the factions, each time you play the game the factions will be different.  This does change up the game, but it also removes the possibility of giving the factions any personality of their own.  In Alpha Centauri we had the University, Morgan Industries, The Hive, The Believers, and others with unique ideologies.  This made you feel for the factions and their leaders and made you feel like you were playing a game with personality that was telling a story behind the scenes.  This was reinforced by the wonder videos, technology quotes, and story quotes throughout the game.  Though this game does try with its quest system, the inherent feeling of eeriness and distinct philosophical factions is lost in this game.  The game mechanics are there, the innovative additions are there, but the personality is gone.  Perhaps it is unfair to compare this game to a classic like Alpha Centauri, but I feel that it is inescapable considering the parallels between the two.

OVERALL VIEW

I suppose that I would give the game an 8.5/10.  It is a fun game with an excellent replay value (I have played it for 16 hours thus far) but it could have been much more.  If you are a fan of Alpha Centauri or Civilization V then I would recommend buying it when it goes on sale, perhaps for the Christmas season.

If you would like to see a video review that matches my overall opinion for the most part and that gives you an idea of the gameplay then I would recommend this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IydX8R2xxe4

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Recently started playing Civilization V(as well as its expansions) two months back. Much easier to get into than the original and honestly much more refined, as expected.

I like to play as the Greeks and Koreans most of the time.

I think my most memorable experience was during my Greek campaign, when Japan, England, China and Germany all joined forces to take out the Netherlands, who were hogging quite the amount of territory and after pushing William's forces backt o his last city, we were victorious.

As for Civilization: Beyond Earth, haven't played it yet.  I'm just going to stick with Civ V for now, as I enjoy it too much. Beyond Earth looks promising, but I am disappointed at the lack of Alien-led factions, the previous games got away with having all human factions because they centered around real world nations. But since the game is no longer taking place on Earth, I think the devs could take a few liberties.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm afraid I have to postpone plans for an online game of Civ IV with you. For the time being I'm restricted to a tablet computer which is good enough for working and using the internet, but not really for gaming. My regular computer had given me some signs lately that it wants to die and now I can start it in safe mode only. So I'm saving all my data before handing it in for repairs. Since I got it less than four years ago I can still get repairs on the basis of the warranty, but that computer sure was the most failure prone I've ever had (I think this is the third or fourth time I got to hand it in <_<).

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, that's okay. I don't think we can start a game very soon anyway. Things will have to be discussed (e.g. the times the players are available (this will be the hardest part I guess), or what settings we're going to apply (18 player earth map sounds like a good idea to me btw!).

I would be available from Thursday to Saturday probably (evening-night european time). I think I could play on Sundays too but I actually have to get up very early the next morning :p

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Are people still up to a multiplayer game of Civ IV? I have plenty time during the holidays while I'll be very unlikely to find any time for gaming from February to April (final exams). I'd suggest to do the planning work on Skype (I hope all players have skype   :unsure: )

So far, I know that Malte279, vonboy, rhombus and yours truly would join such a game. I can imagine that one or two other members here might be interested as well.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am still open to the idea of a multiplayer Civilization IV game.  My schedule next semester means that Thursdays and Fridays will be open for me until March, and then Fridays will remain open for me for the rest of the semester.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've been hearing about a new game that's due to be released soon called "Starships", which is pretty much in the same series as "Civilization: Beyond Earth", except it's primarily focused on controlling a fleet of spaceships. I'm not interested in getting this game anytime soon, but I figured I'd point it out for anyone who might be interested.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/18/con...All+Articles%29

The first expansion pack for Civilization: Beyond Earth has just been announced: Rising Tide. Of all the new features that have been revealed so far, perhaps the most significant one of all is that you will be able to build cities on water! This expansion pack is due to be released later this fall, so if you enjoyed playing Beyond Earth, then this is definitely something for you to look forward to.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/11/sid-meie...take-on-cities/

Civilization VI has just been announced, and is due to be released on October 21, later this year. According to this article, it seems that the biggest change from V will be that cities can occupy more than just a single tile. In other words, just like military units for the previous game, buildings will no longer be stackable. Looks like my habit of trying to build every single wonder in a single city will be simply impossible for this next game.

I'm still in the process of unlocking achievements on Civilization V, so it may be a while before I get this game. (Fine by me, not only because I can wait for other gamers to make guides that can help me, but also the price to get games like this tends to come down a bit after some time.)

- Berix

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Awesome looks very good and looks like effort has been added to the game.