The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT RPG multiplayer PC game - source code + Game l

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I understand there has been some interest in access to the LBT RPG game that started development here, many years ago.

I have hunted down the game and all associated files on a backup drive. I have uploaded all of it as-is to my Google Drive here:

[EDIT] LINK REMOVED DUE TO GOOGLE DRIVE SPACE CONSTRAINTS. PM me if you'd like a copy and I can set up a temporary link for you.

The Google Drive folder includes two files:

1) A .zip file with all the source code, as well as the current (and some previous) version of the game as-is. Note, as per the topic at the top of the LBT Projects forum, that the project is UNSTABLE and UNFINISHED. This is mainly for archive purposes.

2) An instructions file. This briefly talks about what's actually IN the .zip file to help people understand how to navigate the .zip. I literally look my old project folder, dumped it in a .zip and uploaded it. It's pretty disorganized but hopefully the instructions file helps that a little bit.

~Action9000

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Is it operable yet?  Can it be played?  What language is it written in?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It can be played.

It was made about 5 years ago in C++, using a custom engine that I wrote myself in about 17,000 lines of code. All the code is in the zip file I linked.

There is very little to do - You can run around the part of the Great Valley as one of 5 characters, talk to a few NPCs, swim in water and die. :p

Details and screenshots can be found in the (closed) subforum at the top of the LBT Project forum.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Just curious, how do you, er, die?   Does it involve Sharpteeth or just falling off of stuff?  

:lol  :lol  :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The only way you can die is by drowning. :p

Try the game and you'll see we REALLY didn't get very far with it. There's a reason I wasn't very concerned with keeping an up-to-date link available - The game, really, is barely-started. I only posted this up because I was informed there was some interest in having it available.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey everyone.

Due to Google Drive space constraints, I'm being forced to remove the link to this download.

If anyone would like a copy of it, just PM me and me know. It's about 600 MB and I simply can't afford the Google Drive space anymore, with my current commitments. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Again, if you want a temporary download link, PM me and I can set one up for you. :) I just can't host a permanent solution anymore, as I'm out of space. :p

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Which LBT game is this? lol I had a Gameboy game as a kid.. I suppose I could look it up but can you tell me what you do in the game?
8 years with TGOF :yum

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: bestariana1girl,May 12 2016 on  07:50 AM
Which LBT game is this? lol I had a Gameboy game as a kid.. I suppose I could look it up but can you tell me what you do in the game?
Hey! The game I'm referring to is a game I was the lead creator for back in 2008 to 2011. It was a game that was being developed right here on the Gang of Five by myself and many other forum members.

The game barely got started for a lot of reasons but we have a whole subforum on the GoF containing topics about the game. The subforum is here:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...hp?showforum=42

Specifcally, here's a topic that follows the major developments of the game:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...?showtopic=3708

It was going to be a 3D Multiplayer RPG set in the LBT universe developed by fans, for older fans of the series.

With technology progressing the way it has, it would be easier to make this game today than back in 2008 when we started (for example, building it in Unity would show results MUCH faster than we ever got them building an engine from scratch). Regardless though, it's still too large of a project for anyone here to take on in the foreseeable future.

I had a link to the source code and a compiled, playable version of the game as-is but it was a lot of data (about 600 MB) and my puny 15 GB Google Drive limit just isn't enough to host big stuff like this. I'm using my Google Drive as a backup solution for a lot of very large, important files. This simply didn't make the cut so I removed the link.

I still have two copies of it on my local computer, I just don't have any on a cloud server anymore.

The game had a little website at some point too but it's long-since been frozen from being inactive for so long.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,May 12 2016 on  05:23 PM
Quote from: bestariana1girl,May 12 2016 on  07:50 AM
Hey! The game I'm referring to is a game I was the lead creator for back in 2008 to 2011. It was a game that was being developed right here on the Gang of Five by myself and many other forum members.

The game barely got started for a lot of reasons but we have a whole subforum on the GoF containing topics about the game. The subforum is here:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...hp?showforum=42

Specifcally, here's a topic that follows the major developments of the game:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...?showtopic=3708

It was going to be a 3D Multiplayer RPG set in the LBT universe developed by fans, for older fans of the series.

With technology progressing the way it has, it would be easier to make this game today than back in 2008 when we started (for example, building it in Unity would show results MUCH faster than we ever got them building an engine from scratch). Regardless though, it's still too large of a project for anyone here to take on in the foreseeable future.

I had a link to the source code and a compiled, playable version of the game as-is but it was a lot of data (about 600 MB) and my puny 15 GB Google Drive limit just isn't enough to host big stuff like this. I'm using my Google Drive as a backup solution for a lot of very large, important files. This simply didn't make the cut so I removed the link.

I still have two copies of it on my local computer, I just don't have any on a cloud server anymore.

The game had a little website at some point too but it's long-since been frozen from being inactive for so long.
I understand now, I'm sorry it didn't take off! It would've been a great project!
8 years with TGOF :yum

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: bestariana1girl,May 16 2016 on  08:01 AM
I understand now, I'm sorry it didn't take off! It would've been a great project!
It would be fun to try again with today's technology (again, Unity is amazing nowadays). Sadly though, it's just impossible to justify. It's too big to do as a hobby and I have too many "Real world" projects to keep me busy for the foreseeable future.