The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Prompt Challenge Discussion

rhombus · 481 · 71424

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I was curious. Is there a length limit for prompt entries? I spent two months working on my February prompt, and completed it a few days ago. Yeah, I can sometimes be a fast writer because my priorities tend to shuffle. I've been having a hunch that my latest story would probably not make the list because it's so long and other readers couldn't possibly read a 20-chapter story in just a few days like I can.

I only didn't want to wake up tomorrow morning and suddenly yell out, "Hey, wait a minute!" I really need to stop being the shy guy around here. :sducky

@DiddyKF1

There is no explicit limit on the size of stories, though we do encourage people to keep it reasonable (no more than 10k words) if they want to have people to actually have time to review it. Just send me the links via PM and a description and I can add it to the list.  :yes

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There will probably be a slight extension on the February prompt challenge as Ducky123 is currently transferring his entry from paper to the forum, as seen here:
https://imgur.com/A2KBBAb

But as the chapter is obviously done, I will permit the extension.  :yes As soon as this is posted we can begin voting on the February prompt.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Alright, everyone, this is just a reminder that we have two monthly prompt challenges that are currently active:

March 2019..............................Mar 1 – Apr 30

One word prompt: Conflict

Dialogue prompt: "This means that we fight."

Major prompt: A rather straightforward prompt this time: write a story that features battle as a major plot point.  The battle may be to defend a herd (for leaf-eaters), find success in a hunt (for sharpteeth), defends one’s reputation or standing, or for training purposes.

April 2019..............................Apr 1 – May 31   

One word prompt: Jokes

Dialogue prompt: “The hardest part about pranking [insert name or species here] is all of the running involved.”

Major prompt: Write a story where a practical joke, a prank, or some other humorous antic goes way too far in a non-tragic way.

As always, I look forward to your entries. :) Also please keep in mind that the voting for the February 2019 prompt is now ongoing in the voting topic.  If you had an entry for February 2019 then please vote for your favorite entry.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, everyone, this is just an announcement that I will not have time to deal with the fanfic prompt response business until Wednesday night or Thursday afternoon.  So if you are rushing to get an entry in from the March prompt you have at least one more day to do so and still qualify for the fanfic voting.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I definitely need a few more days :( I've squeezed out a whole chapter today (not uploaded, will mass upload all chapters at once once the crucial chapter is done) but I still need two more to reach the scene I want to submit. Somehow two planned chapters turned into four with my story ugh. I'll aim at sunday but I can't tell if I'll make it in time.
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@OwlsCantRead @LBTlover247 @DiddyKF1 @Ducky123 @Sovereign @DarkWolf91 @vonboy @jassy @Anagnos

Alright, everyone, this is just a reminder that we have two monthly prompt challenges that are currently active:

April 2019..............................Apr 1 – May 31   

One word prompt: Jokes

Dialogue prompt: “The hardest part about pranking [insert name or species here] is all of the running involved.”

Major prompt: Write a story where a practical joke, a prank, or some other humorous antic goes way too far in a non-tragic way.

May 2019..............................May 1 – Jun 30   

One word prompt: Duty

Dialogue prompt: “It is required of you...”

Major prompt: Write a story where one of the characters is given a sacred duty or a quest.

I look forward to everyone’s entries!

As there were only two entries for the March 2019 prompt that can be voted upon, I will have to break the tie there or decide on a joint winner situation.  However, there will be two non-voting entries for that prompt in the next few days as I will be posting the next chapter of Pursuit of Endless Day later tonight and Ducky123 will be making his entry in a few days.  So, although the actual entries that can be voted upon were limited this time, I am pleased with the overall turnout. :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 04:06:51 PM by rhombus »

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, apologies for not getting mine done in time. Even though I spent the whole day writing and getting some 10k words done it still wasn't enough :PAli That's what I get for procrastinating during my spring break when I had more than enough time to get it done. The next prompt will require several chapters to be written once again (not to mention that the May prompt happens before the April prompt) so I'll remain rather busy with the story :smile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm just going to say here that I'm dropping my story from entering the fanfiction prompt challenge. The constant pressure to finish it only achieves the opposite and greatly slows me down because writing it becomes a chore and anything that feels like a chore is typically work I tend to avoid and do more fun things instead. I'll finish the story at my own pace from here, also so my other stories aren't dead for like several months. Just a heads up, dunno which of the remaining prompts I will join for the rest of the year but probably only few of them if inspiration for a short story hits.

For next year, if the deadlines aren't raised to 2 months per story, I probably won't be able to enter anything, not even a short story, as preparations for my final exams while doing practical work 8 hours a day will eat up my time.

EDIT: I will also read stories at my own pace and currently it falls into the work/chore category for me so please don't expect any more votes from me. If I enter, it's because I felt inspiration hit but I couldn't care less about the voting. There's the fanfiction voting for that imho and maybe a participation badge as opposed to votes should be considered. We already dropped the fanart votes and I think it'd work better for this prompt challenge as well  :^^spike
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:17:11 AM by Ducky123 »

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Umm, the deadline has already been extended to two months so that shouldn't be an issue. About the votes, I find them a good way to show appreciation to someone who's work you've enjoyed as well as a sign of respect to the others who have taken part. Besides, taking away this small competitive element would be a downer for me so I'd certainly want to keep the current voting system.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@Ducky123

I just want to reiterate that even if one does not qualify for voting due to not completing a story on time they can still have their story added to the masterlist and qualify for a participation banner (which you would need to talk to DarkWolf about).  The deadlines and voting requirement is merely there for those who wish to compete for the star banners.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:42:28 PM by rhombus »

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
My sincerest apologies if I'm pre-empting any announcement, but is the summer prompt exchange challenge scheduled for July/August still a-go?

I wasn't here for last year's exchange, but I understand that the deadline is still Aug 31. Though my schedule for the next two months is quite tight, I do hope to participate in this prompt if possible by attempting to maximize my efficiency through minimizing any lag time at the start given that the numerous prompts offered would definitely need to be shuffled back to the participants. :p

Again, apologies if I'm jumping the gun. :(
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You are indeed correct, OwlsCantRead. I must apologize for the delay as I have had a lot going on lately.

We have two prompts that are currently ongoing:

June 2019..............................Jun 1 – Jul 31   

One word prompt: Lessons

Dialogue prompt: “Sometimes the hardest lessons are those you teach yourself.”

Major prompt: Write a story where a character learns a lesson about the facts of life.  This can be played for seriousness or for laughs.

July 2019..............................Jul 1 – Aug 31   

Summer prompt exchange!: Everyone writes a prompt of their own choosing, then the prompts are shuffled and redistributed back to the writers. The writers must then do a story based on their new prompt!

@OwlsCantRead @LBTlover247 @DiddyKF1 @Ducky123 @Sovereign @DarkWolf91 @vonboy @jassy @Anagnos

With the summer prompt exchange now in progress, we will need to make some minor revisions to this prompt in order to make sure everyone has enough time to complete this one.  For that reason, I would like all of those who want to compete in the July prompt to PM me your own proposed prompt by July 13th (with Summer Exchange in the PM title) and then I will shuffle them and give them back (randomly) to the participants who PMed me.  And, just for reference, I plan on participating as well so one of you might end up with my proposal. The July prompt will continue through September 13th as we are a bit delayed in starting this one, so hopefully that will be plenty of time for those who wish to participate.  :yes  So if you are interested in participating in the story exchange then please PM me by July 13th and I can announce who gets which entry on the 14th.  :)littlefoot

Also, @Sovereign and @Anagnos, as there were two qualifying entries for May's prompt, I will break the tie in the next week or so.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:20:51 AM by rhombus »

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@OwlsCantRead @DiddyKF1 @Ducky123 @Sovereign @LeventeII @jassy

Alright, everyone, it is time again for those of us who contributed a prompt to the Summer Prompt Exchange to receive begin our respective prompts! Our first attempt at this last year was a fun endeavor and I am quite pleased with the turnout for our second attempt at this.  :)

As mentioned before, due to the delay (in order to get the prompts in) this contest will continue until September 13th. So, without further delay, let's now see what prompt everyone has received from the random shuffling...

OwlsCantRead
Write a story about the Rainbow Faces. What exactly it is about is entirely up to you. It can be a new meeting, an adventure, their background story or whatever else you can think of about them. "Your imagination is the limit", as the Rainbow Faces would say.

DiddyKF1
“Things can never stay the same for very long. Write a story about a time where the summer brings about great changes.”

Ducky123
"Write a story about sacred beliefs or traditions, involving any one of the Gang's families."

rhombus
Okay, as my specific idea is kind of out there I think that I will allow two options for this prompt, a general one and a specific one.

Specific option: We all know that Petrie’s kind were likely omnivores or carnivores in real life… but what if that was also true in the LBT narrative as well? Write a story where Petrie’s “little secret” (that he likes insects or fish) is revealed to one of his friends or to the gang itself.

General option: Write a story where a secret is revealed about one of the gang, or their family, or their kind.  How will the rest of the gang react to the revelation?

Sovereign
Getting yourself a girlfriend/boyfriend is usually not an easy task. Even worse if the subject of your choice fancies someone else than you. Write a fanfiction set in the LBT universe that features the struggle a character of your own choice to overcome this particular problem. It is completely up to you whether he is successful or not.

As an additional spark of inspiration, you may consider using a set-up in which the subject of love interest is struggling with the loss of the one they fancied to further complicate things and add a tragic touch.

LeventeII
Every writer has at least one area where they excel or where they find they have always done especially well. Whether it is a genre, some kind of plot point or a trick with the writing process itself, it is always a good idea to stop for a while and think just how you created your most beloved stories. Even if you are a beginning author, you might have some idea of your strengths and weaknesses already. Write a short story based in the Land Before Time universe where you utilize your best qualities as an author.

Jassy
Greed. A deadly trait, and one which can consume someone entirely should they fall prey to the enticing allure of it. As mortal creatures who live and breathe under the Bright Circle, an individual can lose themselves to their selfish nature at any given time, falling victim to the temptation of going astray in their pursuit for more. Pen down a story where a dinosaur risks everything for the sake of greed. Whether they end up succeeding or lose it all in their high-stakes gamble is up to you.

Good luck, everyone! I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. :) Also keep in mind that the following prompt is still in progress:

June 2019..............................Jun 1 – Jul 31   

One word prompt: Lessons

Dialogue prompt: “Sometimes the hardest lessons are those you teach yourself.”

Major prompt: Write a story where a character learns a lesson about the facts of life.  This can be played for seriousness or for laughs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 11:43:04 AM by rhombus »

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Wow, people really came up with good ideas for this year. Perhaps I will have the opportunity to join in next time. I definitely would've joined if my life wasn't full of stuff I need to do on a daily basis. Well, a missed chance, but there will be others in the future. Good luck to everyone! :^^spike

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Rainbowfaces? Ahahahaha... oh dear. :rainbowwave :wow
Wow, those eccentric ones are really outside my usual purview, I'll say. I'll certainly try my best to not completely butch up Chronos and Logos. :SmugSpike

That said, the submitted prompts are really varied this year overall. I'm excited to what everyone else will cook up with their prompt!
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
Hmm, ... summer? Maybe there is something I can cook from this.

Pun intended. :)petrie
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
Hmm, a story about greed? Sounds fun, I can’t wait to see the results   :olittlefoot
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Why do I get the most boring one? Oh well, traditions or sacred nonsense you say? I'll make it work!  :^^spike

At least this doesn't trigger a long story for once

:bestsharptooth :bestsharptooth

LeventeII

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Okay, mine will be interesting because I'm actually still in my discovery phase and haven't tried all the elements of writing yet. Nevertheless, in the last year since I started writing, I've already found certain areas where I think I'm doing well.
I will spend the next time thinking about what I want to include and creating the first drafts of the plot. That should be feasible.  :)

LBTlover247

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
Is the August prompt still going to happen or are we taking a break for the fanfiction awards? I kinda have an idea already in the works if we're still doing August.