The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How old is Spike, exactly?

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
People seem to take that hatching scene as canon.

8. Spike is implied to have a mental disability, which is supported by Cera's deleted comment. But is it exclusive to Spiketails within the first movie's canon? He is, after all, only a baby.

But he's not.

I noticed that. I guessed they did that since Spike may not have been able to keep up with the large Littlefoot and Cera, and was to big to ride on one of their backs like Ducky and Petrie could do, so they sorta did a poof he's their size.

Hold on: isn't the movie supposed to be about accepting differences? Obviously the "large" Littlefoot and Cera would have been forced to slow down. That would explain Cera's frustration in the berry scene.

Though they should have come up with a better solution. Maybe something like finding him sorta like Ducky found Littlefoot, and they found Petrie.

Why this was never the solution is a mystery that for the life of me, I don't think I'll ever be able to solve. Despite their differences, the gang is all supposed to be the same age, so why do they have to magically make Spike into that? There's a thousand different ways they could have found him, and yet they choose the oddest possible one?

Did you realize how Spike's size multiplied in the first few seconds after his birth?

No one on here really does, from what I can tell.

I think that at the end of his hatching scene he ended up four or five times (possibly more) the size he must have had the moment of the hatching.

Again, it's weird how so many fans don't seem to realize this.

Perhaps his inability to talk was the only real indication for his being much younger than the others in the original movie

Spike's size tripled (or more) in the first moments after he hatched.

The fact is, he became the age the rest is, but no one seems to understand that.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 10 2016 on  02:36 PM
The fact is, he became the age the rest is, but no one seems to understand that.
I'm not really sure how this is a fact. Exactly how does Spike "become the same age"? As far as I can tell, he is still younger than the rest of the group, and he was still pretty much the "baby of the group" as they traveled. He may have been just big for his age, which can happen.

The idea of him "suddenly aging up" is not really a fact so much as it is just speculation. Spike is still younger than the rest, but figuring out exactly how much younger is difficult. He would have to be dramatically younger than at least Littlefoot, Cera, and Ducky, as at least 5 years passed (according to the novel anyway, if I remember right) before they met Spike. Even if that wasn't the case, there had to have been at least a few months, which would still make Spike younger.

He could have delayed his hatching, but not for long. He would have run out of nutrients in that egg before the few months/years were up. So this firmly places Spike as being much younger.

Spike changing sizes, as some people have pointed out, is something common in animation, so it doesn't really surprise me that Spike is a different size in those two scenes. Now you can say that Spike did age and got bigger, as it did take them a while to reach the valley. And perhaps there was a larger gap between Spike's hatching and when we see them walking together with the narrator talking in the next scene. But again, even this is just speculation.

If you want to believe that Spike somehow aged up to match the rest, then by all means, believe it. Just understand that it's still an opinion and speculation, and should not be taken as absolute fact. Not everyone will agree with you on this, and it's something that you will have to accept.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The fact is, I never would have assumed Spike was so much younger than them.

I noticed that. I guessed they did that since Spike may not have been able to keep up with the large Littlefoot and Cera, and was to big to ride on one of their backs like Ducky and Petrie could do,

Spike could have kept up with the "large", as you say, Littlefoot and Cera easily. As for riding on their backs, Ducky and Petrie didn't have to do that either (and Petrie generally hasn't since he's learned to fly). In fact, Ducky doesn't when she first meets Littlefoot. But I guess they weren't going to decline a ride since it would be faster.

so they sorta did a poof he's their size.

More like a poof, he's their age. But

Though they should have come up with a better solution. Maybe something like finding him sorta like Ducky found Littlefoot, and they found Petrie.

Um...yeah. No surrealism!  :smile

BTW, there's actually a TV Trope for this. It's called "Plot-relevant Age-up". Another annoying example of it happens in the movie version of Eragon, in which Saphira literally grows up while flying, which is particularly annoying as in the book, she grows as naturally and gradually  as anything else.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
People seem to take that hatching scene as canon.
How exactly do you mean? One could argue about the Tv-series not being canon (or any of the sequels in fact) but a scene from the movie that started it all? How can it be not a canon scene? I mean, we all saw Spike hatching...

8. Spike is implied to have a mental disability, which is supported by Cera's deleted comment. But is it exclusive to Spiketails within the first movie's canon? He is, after all, only a baby.

But he's not.
If you only look at the original movie, one could argue that he is a baby. But we know he is unable to talk (not counting the rare occasions he does) in the sequels too so... yes, he's not. However, he's still considerably younger than the rest of the gang although it seems like he skipped the toddler stage altogether, hatching into kindergarden age or something like that. At least there isn't ever any point in any sequel where one might get the impression that Spike is any younger than everyone else...

I noticed that. I guessed they did that since Spike may not have been able to keep up with the large Littlefoot and Cera, and was to big to ride on one of their backs like Ducky and Petrie could do, so they sorta did a poof he's their size.

Hold on: isn't the movie supposed to be about accepting differences? Obviously the "large" Littlefoot and Cera would have been forced to slow down. That would explain Cera's frustration in the berry scene.
Spike's sudden growth cannot be explained rationally. In the egg, he was barely bigger than Ducky but in the next scene he was almost Cera's size. I suppose he was simply meant to be the size of the other two "big" members of the gang but still they wanted Spike to have his very own little hatching scene. However, the egg can't be incredibly large :p So... they kind of made him bigger once he was out of the shell... You simply can't find a reasonable explanation for this. The persons who made LBT will have spent some thought on this and the must have been a reason they did it like that. No need to get agitated about it :)
Yes, the movie is about accepting differences. We know from one of the LBT books that Cera was pointing out that Spike would slow them down and eat their food (a valid point, considering their situation, mind you). When they're shown walking by the water while the narrator talks when Ducky lures Spike with the berries, Cera walks ahead, not looking pleased with the situation. There's no point in the movie where Spike seems to slow the group down though. He always seems to keep up with the group. If Spike was smaller, he may have slowed them down a little. The gang would have still reached the valley. To bring the point of the movie across, Spike's size was rather irrelevant. Taking him along in the first place is what shows that they are accepting differences.

Why this was never the solution is a mystery that for the life of me, I don't think I'll ever be able to solve. Despite their differences, the gang is all supposed to be the same age, so why do they have to magically make Spike into that? There's a thousand different ways they could have found him, and yet they choose the oddest possible one?
Neither can anybody solve this. Honestly, nobody knows why they went with this way of discovering Spike. They just did and unless we actually find somebody from the people who decided to have Ducky discover his egg who is willing to explain this to us, we'll just have to take it. I personally think it was a great scene that was only partially ruined by it being cut because the cut kind of destroyed the whole point of the scene :anger

Did you realize how Spike's size multiplied in the first few seconds after his birth?

No one on here really does, from what I can tell.

I think that at the end of his hatching scene he ended up four or five times (possibly more) the size he must have had the moment of the hatching.

Again, it's weird how so many fans don't seem to realize this.
Huh? I thought it was frequently critizised by many members on here that he did grow...

Perhaps his inability to talk was the only real indication for his being much younger than the others in the original movie

Spike's size tripled (or more) in the first moments after he hatched.

As I said above, there's no real indication in the sequels that his age is different from the rest of the gang. He appears to be their age but in truth he isn't. I think that's the problem here...

If you want to believe that Spike somehow aged up to match the rest, then by all means, believe it. Just understand that it's still an opinion and speculation, and should not be taken as absolute fact. Not everyone will agree with you on this, and it's something that you will have to accept.
I agree. It's not a fact that he did grow up in the span of a few seconds (how exactly would that be possible anyway?  :blink: ). Take the easy path, take his growth spurt as a trick of the animators as DH explained and don't try to explain it logically. Because it isn't logical...

BTW, there's actually a TV Trope for this. It's called "Plot-relevant Age-up". Another annoying example of it happens in the movie version of Eragon, in which Saphira literally grows up while flying, which is particularly annoying as in the book, she grows as naturally and gradually as anything else.
Well, maybe they used just that for the purpose of him being able to be fine on his own (I doubt a freshly hatched spiketail would be as independent from his parents as Spike was)?
Inactive, probably forever.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree. It's not a fact that he did grow up in the span of a few seconds (how exactly would that be possible anyway? blink.gif ). Take the easy path, take his growth spurt as a trick of the animators as DH explained and don't try to explain it logically. Because it isn't logical...

The problem is, I prefer thinking of him as the same age as the rest. I didn't see movie 1 until after seeing 3,4, most of 5, and 6-8 (when I was in my LBT stage in April-July 2002 I saw 7, then 4, then 3, then 6, then 8, and then 1, and then 5 and 2, although a while back I had seen most of 5.)

I think the rainbowfaces made him older, lol.  :lol