The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Geometric Ponderings

rhombus · 131 · 18051

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just found this section and decided that it would be interesting to join the trend.  Feel free to ask me a question about anything that comes to mind.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What's your favourite food? :)
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: MurMur,Aug 30 2013 on  01:56 AM
What are your favorite birds, and why?
I would have to say that my favorite group of birds would be the corvids, which include the crows, ravens, and magpies.  I greatly admire the great intelligence that these birds display, which includes passing the mirror-test for self-awareness and the use of tools to obtain food.  On a more relatable level, these birds are highly social and will often engage in games with one another (like sliding down slopes -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRnI4dhZZxQ ) and also with other species (like swooping down and pestering cats, although I guess that game is a bit one-sided  :lol )

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Aug 30 2013 on  03:11 AM
What's your favourite food? :)
Hmmm... This is somewhat difficult as I enjoy many different varieties of food.  However, if I had to narrow it down then I guess I would say that lasagna is my favorite food.  A very close second would be chilli, as I am a big fan of spicy foods.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What was your most hatred subject back in school? :lol

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Aug 31 2013 on  02:34 AM
What was your most hatred subject back in school? :lol
I would have to say that Physical Education was my most hated subject.  During my elementary school years I participated in little league baseball and martial arts courses, so to dedicate an entire class period to physical activity seemed a bit redundant to me.  With regards to physical education during high school, for certain full-contact activities (dodge ball, football, floor hockey, etc.) the class became little more than an excuse for many of the jocks to single out the non-athletes such as myself.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What about your most loved school subject? Or extra-curricular? :smile
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What is your least liked geometric body? 2d as well as 3d :)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: StrutEggStealer,Sep 4 2013 on  09:33 AM
What about your most loved school subject? Or extra-curricular? :smile
Hmmm..... No beloved extra-curriculars come to mind....   :smile

I would have to say that my most loved school subject was Biology.  Ever since I was a little child I always had an interest in animals and living things in general.  This was cultivated by having an inquisitive mind and begin surrounded by a multitude of wildlife and many acres of forests at my father's residence.  I always asked questions like "What makes something alive as opposed to being non-living?" and "How exactly does a heart (or any other body part for that matter) work?".  I was delighted to finally be able to confront those and other questions during my high school education, which eventually lead to me majoring in Zoology during my university studies.  I suppose it is little wonder with a background like that, that I eventually became a biology instructor.

I also had very strong interests in drafting and political science, which is why many of my electives at were in those particular subjects.  That being said, although I had an interest in those subjects, I had no intention of actually pursuing a career in those fields.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My least favorite would be the dodecagon:

Interestingly this shape forms the Petrie polygon for many higher dimensional polytopes. (With the Petrie in this case being derived from John Flinders Petrie and not after the Petrie we all know and love.)  :smile

My second most despised shape would probably have to be the trapezoid, immediately followed by acute triangles.

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: rhombus,Sep 4 2013 on  05:41 PM
I would have to say that my most loved school subject was Biology.  Ever since I was a little child I always had an interest in animals and living things in general.
A member after my own heart :smile
That's something I've been leaning towards as well - Biology instructor.

This is a question I've come to badger members with (you can blame my last semester at college for this :lol), but what is your philosophy on life?
J. R. R. Tolkein

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow, that is quite a question!  In fact it is one of those questions that I believe many people ask several times in their life without actually coming up with a coherent answer.  Although I do not believe that I can give you full-fledged philosophical treatise on life in general (there is a reason I did not major in philosophy :smile), I can give you a brief explanation of my outlook on life and what I personally value.

Short Answer:

I personally value knowledge and the expansion of human frontiers.  I am also an empathic person, which means in this context that I would like for others to have the same freedom to pursue knowledge and their talents that I currently enjoy.  Therefore, I am supportive of actions and policies which promote the education of others, expands research and the acquisition of new knowledge, and helps anyone achieve their full potential.

I am currently employed as a college instructor where I can cultivate knowledge and a love of learning in the minds of others.  I am glad to serve in a profession that is in compliance with my general philosophy on life.

Long Answer:

On morality in general:

I personally believe that morality is not objective in the philosophical meaning of the word.  That is simply to say that I do not believe that morality has any permanence or concrete meaning outside the context of the personal value systems of human beings (or any other hypothetical sapient species.)    

It is a common mistake for individuals to claim that their system (whether it be political, ethical, or social) is the TRUE way or is objectively better than all of the others, but I have always found these claims to be lacking.  There are objective truths in the universe, like the universal gravitational constant for example, which can be confirmed experimentally again and again.  Likewise, we can observe that human beings have the capacity to develop rules and social constructs.  Some individuals (namely Sam Harris) take this logic to the extreme and claim that the fact that certain behaviors are selected for by natural selection in social species (altruism, empathy, etc) and certain outcomes are universally deemed to be undesirable (death, for example) that we can use science to determine objective morality.  But what this view overlooks is the fact that just because a biological process selects for certain traits in terms of survival, that does not make those traits desirable in terms of morality.  Whenever you start to ask questions about whether something is good or bad (or right or wrong) you are inherently making value judgments which are subjective to your observations and personal values.

To put it another way: you can use objective tools to find out whether an action is morally good or bad, but the parameters of what constitutes good and bad remains a subjective choice.  One person may choose human happiness as a parameter for determining morality (utilitarianism), another person may choose his own well-being as the standard (enlightened egotism) and another may use a religious system as their standard.  In the end, however, it all comes down to personal preference, and hence is not objective.

The most that we can do from the standpoint of morality is to determine those drives and motivations that are nearly universal (most individuals are capable of empathy for example, generally prefer to be happy as opposed to sad, and tend to be most happy when they are free to pursue their interests) and to make decisions that are based upon balancing the conflicting interests of those individuals in accordance with those near-universal traits.  Is the resulting system objective as per the philosophical definition - no.  But it is useful and it is in fact how most human decisions are actually made, regardless of the moral sentiments that may be outwardly expressed.

On my moral views:

I am personally partial to preference utilitarianism as a system of ethics.  It is different than classical utilitarianism (which defines right actions as those that maximize pleasure and minimize pain) in that preference utilitarianism promotes actions that fulfill the interests of sapient beings.  Since in preference utilitarianism the source of both morality and ethics is subjective preference, there can be no act that is in itself always good or bad.  The goodness or badness of an action is dependent on the state of the system in which it is performed.  Although this system still has unresolved questions as a philosophical matter, I find it to be the most practical system that matches my views concerning ethics and morality.

On my personal values:

I have always enjoyed learning new things and using that knowledge to expand my frontiers.  To put it another way: I have always found that as my knowledge base grows, so does my capacity for understanding myself in the greater scheme of things.  I have had many moments in my life when I found out a new piece of information and as a result my view of my place in the universe changed greatly.  This happened when I first learned about natural selection, for example, and it also occurred when I first learned what the stars actually were and how distant they were from Earth.  These discoveries filled me with a great sense of wonder and an intense desire to learn more about the world in general.  They not only changed what I knew, but to a great extent they changed me as well - by changing my overall worldview.

In studying history in high school and in college, I discovered that humankind also went through these great transformations of worldview when certain discoveries were first made and widely circulated.  For example, the discovery of how to harness steam power led to rapid industrialization, which then led to a change in how Western cultures viewed time from a circular and seasonal cycle, to a highly-regimented linear entity.  Industrialization also lead to changes in family relations, the relationship between the makers of products and the means of production, the state and private citizens, and every other facet of life.  It isn't so much the discoveries themselves that led to these changes, but rather it is how we readjust our view of ourselves that changes society.  Since I have a deep seated sense of empathy, I wanted to share the knowledge that I have gained with other people.  The knowledge that I share as an instructor to a classroom of students may not have an overall transformational effect on society, but if I can expand just one person's view of the world then it will have all been worthwhile.

Final thoughts:

With myself placing a high value on personal knowledge and freedom, having a strong sense of empathy, and basing my subjective morality upon the promoting of these personal values, it is no wonder that I am currently in the position that I am today.  Whether I continue teaching, eventually find myself in research, or take another path entirely, I will continue to promote my personal values in whatever small way that I can.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As a side note:

If you find the concept of how worldviews change in society to be as interesting as I do, I would highly recommend that you watch "The Day the Universe Changed" by James Burke.  Its focus is on the effects of science and technology on western society in its philosophical aspects.

The entire 10-part series can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdB61lXonEY...K4N1aheLWsg4xhp

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
... I'm certainly more intimidated of you now more than I was before :smile

I wholeheartedly applaud your organizational ability :D
J. R. R. Tolkein

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think it's already clear that you like playing Civilization V. I'd like to ask: Do you pay any attention to the achievements? If so, how is your progress at this time?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To tell you the truth, I don't really focus on the achievements all that much.  My main focus is trying to win the game at progressively higher difficulty settings and to explore the possibilities of some of the features of the game that I have previously neglected.  For example, I have recently been attempting to beat the game at higher difficulty settings through cultural and diplomatic victories, whereas my initial play-throughs relied upon my two preferred playing styles - rapid expansion and conquest, or scientific dominance.  Additionally, I am still having fun exploring the possibilities of the religion game dynamic, which can greatly affect the strengths of your civilization and, because of that, your optimal strategy for victory.

In terms of achievements on Civilization: Gods & Kings, I have gotten most of the achievements that you receive for simply beating the game while playing as a given civilization (No White Flag Here, Scourge of Everyone, etc.) and I have obtained most of the religious achievements, but I have not obtained many of the others.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Still on the subject of Civ V, you seem to really enjoy the first expansion, Gods & Kings. Are you considering getting the second expansion, Brave New World, anytime soon, or maybe later on?

- Berix

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will probably consider getting the second expansion later on.  As of right now, my focus has shifted to two other games: Don't Starve and Kerbal Space Program.  However, I always seem to come back to the Civilization series, so I have no doubt that in several months I will probably purchase the second expansion.  Before I do so, however, I will want to more thoroughly explore the game mechanics of the Gods and Kings expansion.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
One more question regarding Civ V. Have you tried any of the scenarios? (I consider them to be my favorite aspect of the game.)

- Berix