The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Got Questions? Ask The Chronicler

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I was going to post a question, when I saw that you hadn't yet answered my last question, so this is just a thread bump. :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry for taking so long to answer. I've been so busy with other things that I forgot.

I guess you could say it's more like my mother and sister are the ones who own the pets in this house. If the choice was mine (which it clearly isn't) we wouldn't have any pets. I'm just not that kind of person. At least I'm glad they prefer cats instead of dogs. (I've had a phobia of dogs all my life.)

Among the pets we used to have were two gerbils, two mice, a parakeet, some goldfish, and a cat that was two years older than me but passed away at the age of 20. We currently have two cats. I almost never interact with those two cats, but I have managed to convince one of them to be scared of me. (Whenever I walk into the room, that cat often tries to get away or out of the way.)

What was the other question you were going to ask me?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Where are your favorite places to just hang out at?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Feb 15 2011 on  08:44 PM
What was the other question you were going to ask me?
I thought I'd saved it on a word document, but apparently I didn't and now I've forgotten it. :rolleyes So here's a different question:

I'm just curious; why were you so interested to know what I thought of Velika's story in Chapter 7 of your fanfic? :angel

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
brekclub85: My home. That's it. I often don't like leaving my own house (or dorm room, if I'm at college), so I don't really have any places that I like to hang out at, nor do I have anyone to hang out with, and I prefer it that way.

Pangaea: I noticed that you hadn't mentioned it in you review of chapter 7, and I thought for sure it was something you might have found interesting. I thought that by mentioning it the "pre-chapter notes" of chapter 8, I would hopefully remind you of it (I had assumed that you had forgotten to mention your thoughts on it). When you didn't mention it in your review for chapter 8, I decided to pull out all the stops and ask in your "ask me" topic. I was certain that would give me an answer, and it looks like it worked. Sorry if I came across as being impatient and controlling again, but I was convinced that it was something you were sure to talk about, but it looks like I might have been wrong. Oh well.

- Berix

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Feb 16 2011 on  07:30 PM
Sorry if I came across as being impatient and controlling again, but I was convinced that it was something you were sure to talk about, but it looks like I might have been wrong. Oh well.
No, not at all. I was just curious. :)

Do you have any other collections besides Bionicle sets?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My collection of Bionicle sets is definitely my most prized collection of all, but there are a few other collections I've made in my life.

When I was a little kid, I was a big NASCAR fan, so I often made my parents buy me those small toy replicas of those racecars (only a few inches long). I remember frequently playing mock races with those toys, laying colored pencils on the living room rug to mark the walls of the track. I also liked crashing those cars together frequently, like the real crashes I would see in the real races. These days, even though I still have a slight interest in NASCAR, it's nowhere near as great as it was when I was a kid in the late '90s. As for that toy car collection, it's all stored in a large plastic box in my closet. I don't know the final count, but I have a feeling it would be more than a hundred (I happen to have a few repeats).

Another collection I enjoyed while it lasted were those 3d puzzles, which are basically sheets of foam with stickers on them, you assemble the surfaces like a regular puzzle, but then you fit the surfaces together to create a three-dimensional model. The first one I got was Titanic. I got many more, mostly miniatures at barely 100 pieces, but there were a few larger ones at hundreds of pieces. My favorites of all were the series of skyscrapers that were made to scale, including the Empire State Building and the Sears Tower. I've since lost track of many of them, but my favorites, including those skyscrapers, are stored in my closet.

This last one, I'm sure if I should call it a collection since it's basically just getting started. It's a new series of Lego sets called Architecture which is basically recreations of famous buildings out of Lego bricks. The current count of my collection of those sets is at 4, all of them skyscrapers that are at the smallest possible scale to be made out of Lego bricks.

Those are the ones I can remember at the moment. Just to be clear, the only collection I really care about are my Bionicle sets.

- Berix

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Did you have any April Fools pranks played on you this year?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nope, and I'm very glad about that. I despise falling for any pranks, mostly because I don't find anything directed at me as funny unless I am specifically told beforehand that it's for humor. In fact, I am extremely glad that I had the week off when April Fools came this year. Whatever pranks the other college students might have had in mind, well, let's just say that I would rather stay away from college that day and risk skipping class than to be anywhere near them, and I would never want to skip any class.

- Berix

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here’s a Bionicle-related question for you:

Where do all the biomechanical creatures (Rahi, Matoran, and otherwise) in the Bionicle universe come from? Or, more specifically, how are their populations maintained? Even with unlimited lifespans, it would seem to me that as long as accidents, natural disasters, Rahi predation, and other such causes of death were taking place, then individuals would be dying without being replaced, with species eventually becoming extinct, unless they had some alternative means of replicating themselves.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'll try to answer your question without giving away any spoilers for my fanfic. (Even though I've already mentioned that I won't stop anyone from doing research and finding out about the entire Bionicle storyline on their own.)

Yes, the populations of all the species in the Bionicle universe are maintained, even though virtually none of them reproduce. It has been confirmed that if a Matoran dies, a new one is created to take his/her place. As for how a new Matoran or Rahi is created, that information has never been revealed, and I'm quite sure such details will never be revealed. (I'm guessing it's because, well, let's just say it's awkward enough to explain reproduction to a pre-teen boy.)

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Any more questions?

I recently finished reading How the States Got Their Shapes and learned quite a lot of interesting things about U.S. history and how it affected the borders of each state.

- Berix

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
When you write a fanfic, do you have the whole plot more or less determined from the start, or do you develop your ideas as you go on?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I pretty much have most of the plot already thought of when I start a fanfic, and fill in the smaller less important stuff when I get close to it.

As a good example, I'm planning a total of six stories for my LBT/Bionicle series (I'm thinking of calling it the "Quest for..." series, since that's what the titles of all of them start with.). At this time, I've already thought of the major plots of not just the one I'm currently working on but also much of the four other fanfics that have yet to be written. In fact, I had been making plans for the second and third fanfics as far back as 2008, a time when I had no idea at all how the second fanfic would end, since it depends on how the Bionicle storyline went (Back then, I had planned to end that fanfic at the end of the 2008 storyline, but now that the Bionicle storyline has ended, I decided to include the later years as well.).

My experience also provides a good example for why it's such a good idea to think of fanfic ideas so far ahead. Back in 2008, my plans for the third fanfic involved the gang becoming Toa, whom I had envisioned having bodies that were more raptor-like than humanoid, since they are dinosaurs. As I thought about it over the years, I realized how absurd and farfetched the idea seemed, so I have since scrapped the idea. My current plans for the third fanfic involve more LBT elements that, in my view, will make it one of the most epic of all the stories there will be in this series.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Any more questions?

- Berix

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Since your bio says you're into astronomy, is your home a good place to watch the stars at night?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Even though it's been a while since I've decided to watch the night sky, I would have to say yes. In fact, even though I live in a small neighborhood at the edge of town, I remember occasionally seeing the Milky Way and possibly even the Andromeda Galaxy, all from my own backyard, just a few feet away from the house.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I know I've said this many times already, but since it's now been nearly a year since I last did so...

Any more questions?

- Berix

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's been nearly three years since I last asked you, so have there been any new favorite MythBusters moments in the new episodes you've seen since then? :smile

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
After a quick look on Wikipedia to remind me which episodes have aired since you last asked, here are the new additions to my list of favorites:

Duct Tape Hour 2
Waterslide Wipeout (I still laugh uncontrollably at where Adam drops a roll of duct tape which rolls down the slide, off the ramp, and into the water. :lol )
Top 25 Moments (I'm a sucker for Top# countdown episodes. It helps give you a perspective of the entire series.)
Storm Chasing Myths (Always good to see people from other shows on Discovery)
President's Challenge
Valkyrie Boom
What is Bombproof?
Fixing a Flat (Every method was funny in it's own way. :lol )
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles Special (a Top 12 countdown)
Newton's Crane Cradle
Excavator Exuberance
Drain Disaster (awesome explosion)
Location, Location, Location (another Top 12 countdown (my favorite of them))
Wet & Wild (yet another Top 12 countdown)
Duct Tape Island
Square Wheels (Arguably one of my absolute favorites. :lol )
Mailbag Special
Jawsome Shark Special (another Top 25 countdown)
Titanic Survival

Those are my favorites of the last three years of Mythbusters.

- Berix