The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Future is wild: 275 million years in the future

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
After seeing the cartoon and documentary, I've thought about taking it even further. I've done this by creating my own era, complete with creatures. Many of them are descended from those of the 200 million year era.

Overview: In 205 million years A.D, a mass extinction like the one in 100 million years has struck. This has wiped out the Megasquid, Silver-Swimmer, Slick Ribbon, Terabyte, Gloom Worm, Garden Worm, and other animals. This leaves the world a gloomy place, the reason for their extinction is because of their specialization; Megasquid are low on intelligence and specialized for forest life and eating fruit that grows on trees that could become extinct, the others are designed for the specific habitat they live in and are unable to adapt, leaving only a few.

Squibbons, flish, and Sharkopaths are able to survive due to their intelligence or adaptibility. But no major land predator has survived, allowing some animals to colonize the land.

In this era, oh the horror, sharks have come on to land and now resemble Gorgonopsians and are the dominant land predator, Squibbon have become dozens of different species that fill different roles. Flish rule the skies, and in the absense of silver-swimmers, sharks have diversified into all different types and now are the most common creatures in the sea.

At the same time, the continents have changed and now are in completely different positions, North America is connected to europe and is at the arctic circle, Asia is where the indonesian and philipine islands should be, south america is where North America should be, and Australia is at the south pole. What do you think?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've not seen much of the show, but your idea sounds interesting.  Imagine what a world like that could be like.  The life that appears may be very different, with some the same or very similar.

Another way to speculate is what if a past extinction event did not occur.