The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Trivia Section Answers

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Good evening, everyone. Tonight I am going to address a situation that has been taken in an unhappy fashion by more than just me. It is in regards to the three LBT trivia topics that have been pinned in this section. I did speak to administration before posting this, and the response was that this being a black and white rule is hard to decide. Therefore, I decided to bring this matter into a thread. Some may feel that this should be in the Rock Circle section, but administration did feel that something of such a small nature would be better in an area less formal, so here it is. My concern is this:

Often times, someone will come up with a trivia question that has multiple answers. Sometimes, the asker knows it has multiple answers, and sometimes, he or she does not. In either case, there will frequently be times when someone will give an answer that fully meets the criteria of the question. So technically, the person is correct. However, there are times when the asker tells the person to be wrong just because he or she was thinking of a different character, situation, etcetera. Not everyone does this, but it happens enough. Here is why that is an issue:

Simply put, that changes this quest for knowledge into a guessing game. I will give an example of what’s been happening for those who haven’t seen this.

“Okay, I have something in mind. What is roundish, sweet, grows from a tree, and is edible?”

“An apple!”

“Wrong, sorry. Not what I had in mind.”

“Okay, how about an orange?”

“Again, nope. I am thinking of something else.”

“How about… a pear!”

“Good guess but still incorrect.”

“Mm, a pomegranate?”

“You, sir, are correct. That is the one I had in mind.”

Does anyone not see a problem with this? A trivia thread is about answering a question correctly, not trying to read someone’s mind. If a question is completely solved, I believe that a person should not be told to be wrong just because the asker was thinking of a different possible answer. Honestly, that just seems a little unfair to me. So I ask those who want a bit more order in that section to please cast your vote on whether or not all correct answers should be accepted or not. The asker would still be replying as to whether the answer is acceptable or not, but if this passes, there won’t be any more wrong remarks simply due to the person having another solution in mind. After two weeks, I will return to administration with the results and see if it can be made into an official rule or not.