The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Well after seeing several replies in a recent topic, another member suggested that a new topic be started for the artists here on the GOF...and that idea is sheer brilliance...so partial credit (Okay full credit) goes to Kor for the idea behind this! You ROCK! ;)

So if you have any tips, tricks, or tutorials...(And can provide a link to a free download...I'm sure we would thank you for years to come! :DD ) let your voice be heard!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm, well I sure have no problem with this.   :yes I'm just considering where to put it...we have a Visual Art forum in "The Arts".  General art tutorials could go there.

If somebody is offering tutorials on how to draw an LBT character or something though, it would be more suitable here, perhaps.  I'll sticky this here for now.  Feel free to add in your thoughts on this.  The staff will post up a decision in the near future. B)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This way all the artists and aspiring artists have one place to go to to help each other, share tips, ect.   I wonder if those making the music videos have the same sort of thing.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Making music videos isn't exactly an "art".  You just do it.  Find songs, cut clips, and string them together.  I think the only "help" section we can make is already available(the song ideas thread).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 15 2007 on  07:28 PM
Making music videos isn't exactly an "art".  You just do it.  Find songs, cut clips, and string them together.  I think the only "help" section we can make is already available(the song ideas thread).
I consider it art.  And there's more help you can get for making music videos than just song suggestions. Song suggestiosn are just one thing. There's more to making a music video than just having a song.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe a thread can be made if the music video makers see a need.  They can help each other that way.  They are the best ones to know if they need such a thing or not.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Maybe a thread can be made if the music video makers see a need. They can help each other that way. They are the best ones to know if they need such a thing or not.
MV artists, among all other artists are welcome to discuss this very topic in this thread.  If anyone sees a need, feel free to express your thoughts here.  Based on the results of this topic and the progression of the art/music video topics in the near future, we will make changes accordingly.  If there appears to be no need, nothing will change.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm considering posting tips on making music videos based on my experiences. Is anyone interested?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe you and some other experienced folks can post tips together in the same thread.  Not sure if you meant that.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
This topic is a good idea. :lol:
I thought something of doing a "How to draw..." tutorial for each characters a have done.
Some people asked me on how I draw them. Then I came up with this idea. But i need a little practice on explaing things so no one gets confused.  :blink:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like a good idea.  Maybe you can start by trying to describe to yourself, that may help you to work out any kinks that you may want to work out.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Actually I always thought the characters were just a bunch of ovals, circles, and lines....that''s how I draw Longtail anyway...oh well just thought I'd comment further on what Kor said.  :^.^:

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Certainly some tutorials, perhaps from a few different sources, would definitely help!  I'm not so good at drawing, although I've thought of chalking up the courage to "doodle" on some paper.  I'm more of a poet.  But I for one, would certainly benefit from something like that...!  I know it takes practice, patience and time, though.  Hmm; I have a few ideas, but what good are those ideas, if I can't draw much?  (Then again, it's not like I've spent years and years trying to draw, unlike poetry.)  A picture truly IS worth a thousand words...!  It would be brilliant if some tutorials were put out on this subject.  Books for drawing The Simpsons exist, and other cartoon characters as well, so why not some tutorials on drawing the Land Before Time characters?  That would rock!

EDIT: Oh, and if this was considered a "bump," I'm sorry.  But I could hardly resist, and only stopped to look at the last date after I posted...  Bleh; sorry.

EDIT 2: Alright, Sky's already posted one on how to draw Littlefoot!  I'd be content with just those...  Go Sky!  Tutorials for all seven characters would rock!
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have some tips to help people improve or motivate to draw:
Maybe there will be more artists around here. ;)

----------------------------------------
If you don't have any expierience drawing, I suggest you start drawing from a picture.
What I'm trying to say is, copy the picture. For example, draw Littlefoot in a simple stance about 3 - 5 times.
If you do that, you will have an idea how he looks like and how his body is build.
Draw a character very often, then you will be able to draw them from memory without a problem.

Use lines, circles, squares, ... as a help. You know, the ones which artists do before they go on details.
You might be having a hard time drawing a stance. So use them to help you where the body parts should go.

Drawing pictures takes time, so don't rush your work to finish it earlier.
Trust me, the picture will look uglier. So take your time and chill.

Watch cartoons. No, seriously. It's a good inspiration source if you are running out of ideas.
And they also help you drawing the anatomy correctly by watching the people and animals carefully.
But make sure it is a serious drawn cartoon. Not "too cartoony", like the head is bigger than the body. Except you want to go with that style.

Same thing with comics. Read them. You can also use them as a reference for a stance or for drawing hands. Very helpful.

If you are currently drawing a picture, but not enjoying drawing it, then stop.
Don't draw something you don't like (like me, I don't like drawing humans). It's no use if you're drawing something you don't enjoy. It would be only a waste of time. But you may be forced to do it, though.

MOST IMPORTANT TIP:
Drawing should be fun. If you don't have fun, then you should try something different.
----------------------------------------

The explanations might be a bit hard to understand.  -_-
But I hope they were helpful.

Might open a new thread as I might come up with more tips.

[size0]( "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide" rulez =D )

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Those are great tips, Sky!  But also, I noticed you did a tutorial on DeviantArt about how to draw Littlefoot - thank you so much!  I do hope that you do the same thing for the other characters too, even Ruby!  Yes I do, yep yep yep! :lol:
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, I hope I will get to do them as well. =)

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Thanks for the tips Sky :) , they are indeed useful since they speak the truth, not only in art but they can be adapted into many other things too :DD .

Vaan360

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Great tips indeed, I¥m gonna try and draw littlefoot.

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
drawing humans is indeed annoying because its hard to get the right expression and---(jabbering on and on about pointless things) well you get the idea......
that's why i only draw animals or people in costumes or armour (clone troopers, helghast, stormtroopers and so on....)
facebook.com/venomwargreymon