The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A remake could actually happen.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
If Disney remakes keep making money like they have, other studios with old animation properties might try their hand at it (especially if The Lion King remake is a smash hit).

Problem is, there might not be anyone at Universal these days who actually understands what made the original Land Before Time great or why it's continued to captivate young audiences to this very day. It would probably be CGI (but they'd label it "live-action" because they would probably film on real locations and just insert CG dinosaurs later).

Nick and I already talked about this once, and we already have a list of concerns about the treatment it would get by the studio. They were mainly that the filmmakers wouldn't have enough respect for the original and might try to make it "hip for the kids". As in turn one of the gang of five into a catch-phrase spouting jive turkey.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah that sounds horrible they should just not touch it and leave it alone as it is. We don't need anymore live action/CGI abominations that will ruin a good thing we have already.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A CGI-remake similar to how Disney did it with Jungle Book would be acceptable in terms of animation quality but...

stick to the goddamn original plot and atmosphere and don't turn it into something that it simply is not! (and include the cut scenes goddammit :p)
Inactive, probably forever.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I read such discussion years ago, and then and now I can only say: I can't see anything good in such remake.

We already have almost perfect original movie. People who plan endless remakes on old movies: Please, leave our movie alone.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Exactly this shouldn't happen at all. The first one is awesome and perfect. The story was perfect. It doesn't need a horrific remake that would destroy the original.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not saying it should be done... but if it is done, I won't be mad either. Except for the cut scenes, the original movie IS perfect indeed.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah okay that's true if this does happen I'd love to see the cut senses they had to edit out of the original.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I doubt if they do a remake that they will include the scenes cut from the original. I hope they dont do a remake at all. Disney is already pushing the envelope with remakes of Beauty and the beast and the Lion King, both films which rank at the very top of animated films in that studios long history.  Jungle Book worked because it had been almost 50 years since the original.  Films like Sword in the Stone or Robin Hood or Rescuers would be good candidates for remakes, because they are lesser known and are 40-50 years old.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
How did I know this would involve the recent news of the live-action Lion King remake?  :smile

The fact is, I feel the original has a lot of problems. Yeah, I admit it. I'm not the LBT fan I was when I joined half a decade ago.

As someone pointed out, however, the decent enough film we have would likely be trashed beyond belief. At least if it were made today. If it's made in a distant enough future, in which, hypothetically, filmmakers have actually learned to appreciate and understand the kind of quality that matters and that made the first one good, well, I'm all up for it.

But I hope there's a good decade and a half between now and whenever a remake is even considered. Children's films today, Pixar aside (and even Pixar has gone downhill a bit in the last half-decade), are just full of obnoxious pop-culture references, pop songs, obnoxious characters, celebrity voice actors, mediocre storytelling, bad writing, terrible jokes, and so many other things that would NOT suit a LBT remake. Until the world has learned better from that, they should stay away from remaking LBT.

From what I can tell the recent remake of "The Jungle Book" pretty much avoided these things, and if the other Disney remakes do as well, there's hope. But I still say there should be a 15 year or so wait before they even consider remaking it, to make sure the world has learned.

I would love to write this all down on TV Tropes, but as most of you know, they hate me.  :cry

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah I hope they don't as well. They're doing this with the lion king and even than I'm not sure I'll support it. It's a terrible plan from the start.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Children's films today, Pixar aside (and even Pixar has gone downhill a bit in the last half-decade), are just full of obnoxious pop-culture references, pop songs, obnoxious characters, celebrity voice actors, mediocre storytelling, bad writing, terrible jokes, and so many other things that would NOT suit a LBT remake.
You mean, Pixar AND Disney aside, because Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia were all excellent. And Moana is shaping up to be awesome.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think you are too critical about many things, Bruton. Watch the movie and enjoy it. If the original movie didn't have the cuts, it would be perfect, but even with them it's still one of the best movies ever made. I don't get why so any people keep on ranting about anything in movies. Geez, just sit back, watch and enjoy. If there's an interesting story/idea with likeable characters, good animation/filming and voices/actors that fit the roles, why rant about it? Not everything is going to be 100% the way you want it to be so be happy with 90% or continue watching movies with frustration, your choice really...

That's really why I'm not very critical about movies. I watch them and either I enjoy them or I don't but there's no gain in getting upset about every little shit. Some bad jokes? So what, the movie's still good   <_<

Children's films today, Pixar aside (and even Pixar has gone downhill a bit in the last half-decade), are just full of obnoxious pop-culture references, pop songs, obnoxious characters, celebrity voice actors, mediocre storytelling, bad writing, terrible jokes, and so many other things that would NOT suit a LBT remake.
You mean, Pixar AND Disney aside, because Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia were all excellent. And Moana is shaping up to be awesome.
Haven't seen Tangled and Big Hero 6 yet but the others on that list are amazeballs, their recent movies are, if anything, better than the older ones. Anyway, off-topic

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Oct 30 2016 on  04:24 PM
I think you are too critical about many things, Bruton. Watch the movie and enjoy it. If the original movie didn't have the cuts, it would be perfect, but even with them it's still one of the best movies ever made. I don't get why so any people keep on ranting about anything in movies. Geez, just sit back, watch and enjoy. If there's an interesting story/idea with likeable characters, good animation/filming and voices/actors that fit the roles, why rant about it? Not everything is going to be 100% the way you want it to be so be happy with 90% or continue watching movies with frustration, your choice really...

That's really why I'm not very critical about movies. I watch them and either I enjoy them or I don't but there's no gain in getting upset about every little shit. Some bad jokes? So what, the movie's still good   <_<

Haven't seen Tangled and Big Hero 6 yet but the others on that list are amazeballs, their recent movies are, if anything, better than the older ones. Anyway, off-topic
The thing is, LBT simply isn't something I'm as into as it used to be. Obviously I'm still a part of the LBT community, but it's only really something I'm into if it's what I consider really good. And to me, now, even the original has too many problems. Without the cuts it would be much better, though.

What I'm basically saying isn't anything against the original, I'm just saying they shouldn't remake it  unless they make it better.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've seen big hero six and it was awesome. Kinda far behind ducky. And Tangled was actually good I saw that movie a bunch of times. It had awesome music and a pretty decent storyline I think. And the characters where pretty good as well. So in my view select animated kids movies from today are slightly better but not by much. They're toned down a lot than they where back in the 70s and the 80s.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Personally I don't think there's anything inherently bad about remaking old classics IF it's done right. Unfortunately the chances for the new team to screw up are way too high in this particular scenario... The market has changed considerably since 1988 and in trying to refurbish the original plot for the new audiences they risk really messing things up. :unsure:
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 30 2016 on  11:59 PM
You mean, Pixar AND Disney aside, because Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia were all excellent.
Out of the ones you mentioned, I can only agree on Wreck-It Ralph and Zootopia being very, very good as the rest were okay or mediocre in my opinion. Honestly I'm not sure I would trust Disney with remaking the first chapter of the adventures of Littlefoot and the gang.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Personally I don't think there's anything inherently bad about remaking old classics
but WHY do we need any remake if we already has perfect original?

it is not transfering from book to movie or from movie to book. It's making the same product with more improved graphics...

even if creators can make remake in very good quality... still question: WHY?
(I don't mean getting money from selling product, I mean - why we, people, need this remake?)
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah there is they already ruined a lot of movies by remaking old classic movies. They don't hold a candle to the original.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I admit I'd rather see a new sequel than a remake

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
At any rate it's unlikely to happen - and that's probably for the best - but let's think positive here for a little while and let our imaginations soar... If a remake and in fact a reboot of the entire series did happen, what would you guys want the "new and improved" LBT to be like? :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's a good question, maybe open another thread to discuss this in detail? Since this one is more accurately about our opinions on a possibly remake at all :p