The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why does everyone hate "Good Inside"?

Guest · 32 · 4103

Bruton the Iguanodon

Is it just me or do a lot of people seem to dislike or underate "Good Inside"? For example, Alicloud called it the "damp squid" among the otherwise good songs of 7.

I don't see it as being terrible. I think it was a very sweet, cute number that was both ejoyable and had a really good message---we're not all entirely bad or good. It's very much like "The Lesson", but whereas there it's understandable why people would dislike it---cause Thicknose isn't a good singer---this one isn't as much.

It was also quite inoffensive---one of the most inoffesive numbers the gag had sung in a while. It lacked the pure stupidity of "lone dinosaur", wasn't nearly as effective as "Bad Luck" (which is a near killer number, I think  ;) ) and wasn't freaky and disgusting and unbearable to listen to, like "Friends for dinner". Sure, it didn't live up to the songs of the earlier sequels, like "It takes all sorts" and "Kids like us", both of which come from a time that at this point the series couldn't go back to. But for what it was, it was great. The problem is people regard the other songs of 7, particularly "Very Important Creauture", to highly to give this one any extra thought. If it was sandwhiched between, say, "Friends for dinner" and "Imaginary Friends", which I consider two of the sickest songs in the series, yeah, it may get the recognition I would have thought it would. As it is, it's still a good number, just included between the wrong sort of songs.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 17 2012 on  02:58 PM
The problem is people regard the other songs of 7, particularly "Very Important Creauture", to highly to give this one any extra thought.
How are you certain of that?

Bruton the Iguanodon

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just because someone likes Very Important Creature but hates Good Inside doesn't mean they care too much about the first song to give the second song a chance.

I'm sure that the people here you are referring to have given the song a chance; they just don't like it as much as you do.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Here are some opinions of it:

But Good Inside honestly did nothing for me. It just went into old, generic LBT-song territory.

Only downsides were the twist ending, which neat as it was, just seem ridiculous (coming form me, that's saying something.), and "Good Inside", the damp squib among otherwise pretty good songs.

7: Good Inside. Such a shame, because the other 2 songs were so good in this film! It just seemed like a weak entry. I personally like the songs with strength and feeling, and they could have easily made the point of this song with a speech of some sort and moved on.

Like I said, it's not nearly as effective as "Bad Luck", or as good the first 2 songs of 5, and certainly not the stuff from the Roy Allan Smith era, but it's has a good message to it, which the cheesy  "Lone Dinosaur" didn't, and it's far too obvious to even mention again that it takes down the truly awful "Friends for dinner"  :x

In short, it was a very sweet, memorable tune that I remembered from 7, cause of the  classic "heaven ring" moment.  ;)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I like Very Important Creature right now because it's Michael York's second singing role in thirty years, the first being from a film where he was playing a pop star...so naturally, he had to do a singing role (and the song was about India, where the movie took place). And boy, was he pretty great. It's not the song itself, it's just that the actor is so great to listen to. It was an ego song. Not up to par of "World's Greatest Criminal Mind" from Great Mouse Detective.

Good Inside was too preachy for me. And I challenge Ducky to say that about some of the villains of Doctor Who. Particularly Daleks. Who had all potential "goodness" bred right out of their genes. The only "good" thing they did was inadvertently create alliances against them. It's not the best message. There are some things, I think, that can't have any good in them.
Pterano's a good excuse because he's not totally unfeeling. He has guilt, he has a desire to correct what he did wrong (and goes about it the wrong way), and tries to express himself as not wanting to do any harm to anyone (but goes about it the wrong way).

Bruton the Iguanodon

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Rinkus and Sierra weren't quite as developed as Pterano in my eyes. They seemed to be far greedier and far, far more selfish with no good intentions (or at least the AIM for good intentions).
Sharptooth and Icky were acting on predatorial instinct, the need to live, therefore, in my eyes, are out of the "good v. bad" debate...just predators trying to survive. Icky, however, seems to be the better of the two because of his ability to speak, or at least so that the main characters can understand him.
"Greed" is not typically we think of as "truely animal", but a "human" nature, so that would make them less "good" than Icky or the Sharptooth.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Good Inside was too preachy for me.
That sums up my take on Good inside pretty well. A song can be preachy and still acceptable (e.g. I found "Kids like us" quite okay in spite of the fact that it was definitely preachy as well). I think the tune of "Good inside" didn't really match the message. I think one could have added all kind of lyrics with all kind of messages to that tune because it was so "neutral".

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't hate "good inside". I just think it is forgettable. And too preachy.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Bruton the Iguanodon

So, everyone hates it cause it has a really nice message, yet everyone likes "It Takes All Sorts"? Don't get me wrong, I love "It Takes All Sorts" but if that's the reason everyone hates this song they're being a bit hypocritical...

Given it's not quite as impressive as "All Sorts", or as beautiful as "Kids Like Us", but should that make it hated?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I looked at the lyrics to Good Inside and I can see why it's considered preachy. The message of the song is not all that good in my opinion. Instead, I'd say it's more along the lines of awful. It's trying to deliver the message that "everybody has a lot of good" and "everybody wants to do the right thing". This is far from the truth. The movie was teaching the wrong message with this song, and trying to drill into people's minds, especially kids, that even the nastiest of people want to do the right thing/have a lot of good in them, which again isn't true.

So while the song may seem to have a good message, upon looking at the lyrics, it actually has a bad message when you really think about it. People are diverse, and this song seems to fail to make that clear.

So yeah, I can see why the song is considered preachy and may not be the most well-liked among the LBT songs. Its overall message is not a good one to teach to kids. If Ducky and Petrie had sung about how "some people" are good and such, that's one thing. But to say that everyone is like that is very inaccurate, and again ignores just how diverse people are.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I also noticed Ducky said right before the song, "He is not as mean as the other flyers, no no" like she knows Rinkus and Sierra are completely one-sided...which goes against what she said in the song.  :huh:

Still, it was a cute, fun song that was perfect for someone who just wanted a nice, old fashioned time out of LBT, and wasn't as god-awful as "Friends for dinner" or nightmarish like "Imaginary friend", both of which were big-lipped alligator songs because they were so pointless---the former was actually trying to make light of something horrifying and was a disgrace to movie 5's previous songs.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Personally, I can like all the songs of the series, even some of the XIII ones (somewhat. SOMEWHAT...), but I find nothing wrong with Good Inside. The Very Important Creature I like, but I almost never CONSIDERED it till I watched LBTVII a month ago. I mean it's good, it's just not one that especially stood out to me. The "Beyond the Mysterious Beyond" is the one that stuck out most of all the movies.

Conversely, I think Imaginary Friends and Friends for Dinner are both funny XD. I mean, think about how much it gets into your head. You can't get it out lol!

But some of the songs on LBT 2 just felt like "neext" when I watched them again. I think it's they just put them too close together. I still like them though.

LTB music rocks! Be it the songs by Michele Brourman and Amanda McBroom (etc), or the epic soundtrack by Michael Tavera.  :smile

Dr. Curzon

• Spike
    • View Profile
I kind of like Good Inside. In my opinion, it's just as good as the other songs in VII. But it's not one of my faves, though.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
^"Beyond the Mysterious Beyond" is my personal favorite LBT out of every movie/TV episode. I think people just overlook it because the least favorite characters sing it, as opposed to "VIC" where a fan favorite sings instead.

I also thought "Good Inside" was a decent song. Sure it was preachy, but this is conveyor-belt animated sequels, the least you can hope for is a song that doesn't hurt to listen to. As every animated film Nostalgia Critic reviews shows, that's hardly a given.

I'm with Bruton. The song is not bad, its not even neutral. I'd give it a 6 out of ten because I didn't want to fast-forward through it the first time I heard it.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
When I first watched this movie as a kid, I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics or the message it gave. Now that I'm older, I'm a littler wiser and actually heard the message, and I'm with DH. I don't agree with it at all. "Everybody has a little good inside them..." What about terrorists? Do they have any good inside of them? What about people like Hitler, Saddam Husein, or Osama Bin Laden? Did any of them have any good inside of them? I really don't think so.

Point being, some people are just naturally bad, or they get to a point where there is nothing good in them left. I think it's wrong to tell kids that EVERY SINGLE person in the world has some "good" in them, because they eventually learn that there are some horrible people in the world that we have to deal with.

Apart from that, I just really didn't like the overall tune of the song. I don't know why, it just didn't appeal to me that much.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Apr 10 2012 on  01:42 PM
When I first watched this movie as a kid, I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics or the message it gave. Now that I'm older, I'm a littler wiser and actually heard the message, and I'm with DH. I don't agree with it at all. "Everybody has a little good inside them..." What about terrorists? Do they have any good inside of them? What about people like Hitler, Saddam Husein, or Osama Bin Laden? Did any of them have any good inside of them? I really don't think so.

Point being, some people are just naturally bad, or they get to a point where there is nothing good in them left. I think it's wrong to tell kids that EVERY SINGLE person in the world has some "good" in them, because they eventually learn that there are some horrible people in the world that we have to deal with.

Apart from that, I just really didn't like the overall tune of the song. I don't know why, it just didn't appeal to me that much.
Here, here on all of that!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wouldn't have a problem with the song if they just said "some people" instead of "everyone". But because of the wording, I do feel the message of the song is bad to teach children.