The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Changes you would have made to the film

Dalekdino · 59 · 12545

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
After seeing a changes you would have made to the squeals topic, I thought I'd do a topic asking what sort of small or drastic changes you would like to have made to the first film, if you had been the big cheese of making the film.

Here's the small changes I would have made.
I would have maybe slightly toned down Cera attitude a wee bit (been a fan of Cera would like to make her a bit more likeable), had a scene were Cera apologises to Littlefoot for the erm... Mum insult... And say she didn't really mean it.
Also show that Cera's mum and sisters are alive and well.
Would have kept to the whole Littlefoot finding the great valley before he goes back and saves the others, instead of moving it to after they got rid of Sharptooth.
I'd have had Littlefoot refer to his mum as "mom" or "mama", I always found it way too formal for him to refer to her as mother, when Ducky and Petrie refer to their mum's as mama, and Cera refer's her dad as daddy.
I would also have altered some of the scenes I find a bit awkward.. But I'd rather not say which scenes though.

That's all I can think of now, I come up with more soon.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The only thing that bugs me off sometimes is the editing that has been made :x I basically agree that the points you mentioned could have been added but I wouldn't consider them necessary :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Another change I would have made is to the title of the film in the opening.
What bugs me about the title in the opening is that it's just plan bold white text, and look really boring.

I would have had the title in the opening look more like it dose on the poster and VHS and DVD cover.

I would also have made a little change to the scene were Littlefoot and Ducky first meet Petrie. Instead of having Littlefoot yelling like a maniac ( and gives us a lovely view down his gob) I would just have him do a quick "Argh!" and back away, before sending Petrie flying through the air and crash into the ground.
Seriously that bit freaked me out as a kid....

Speaking of Petrie, I would have made a scene showing his hatching at the start of the film.

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I would definitely have made the film longer. There's apparently a lost scene where Littlefoot sneaks off and finds the Great Valley, and he urges the rest on, and accidentally leads them to the cliff above the wasteland where Cera says "This is your Great Valley?" I really wish they would have made it longer. It's way too short a movie. Also, Don Bluth himself wasn't even happy with the final cut of the film.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Quote from: OllyDirectioner,Feb 27 2014 on  05:44 AM
I would definitely have made the film longer. There's apparently a lost scene where Littlefoot sneaks off and finds the Great Valley, and he urges the rest on, and accidentally leads them to the cliff above the wasteland where Cera says "This is your Great Valley?" I really wish they would have made it longer. It's way too short a movie. Also, Don Bluth himself wasn't even happy with the final cut of the film.
Oh yes that's something I would have done too, make the film longer. I mean they cut soo much out that if you don't count the credits the film is only about an hour long.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah.. the outcut scenes... our holy grail :p

Yes, you are right :) However, Littlefoot sneaked off after he lead them to that wasteland. After the fight, there is the scene of the Smoking Mountains until Ducky and Spike get separated from Cera and Petrie. Then, as you can assume from the soundtrack, there is this very calm choral music that is also used in the edited version we all are familiar with... It's used when Littlefoot sees the clouds looking like a Longneck... Littlefoot might be shown crying in the cut footage. Then he finds the Great Valley, rescues the Gang, gets rid of The Sharptooth and lead them to the Valley :)

CeraTheRed

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dalekdino,Feb 26 2014 on  10:09 AM
Speaking of Petrie, I would have made a scene showing his hatching at the start of the film.
I've ALWAYS wanted to see little Petrie hatching. As an adult, I realize how disappointed I was that Petrie is the only one who isn't shown hatching.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just noticed that Littlefoot's Grandparents' personalities haven't really been introduced in the first movie... that had to wait until LBT 2 was released. So yeah, would've liked them having a few lines or so or interacting with Littlefoot more.

And I agree, Petrie's birth sure would've been a cute scene :wub

CeraTheRed

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Feb 27 2014 on  04:03 PM
I just noticed that Littlefoot's Grandparents' personalities haven't really been introduced in the first movie... that had to wait until LBT 2 was released. So yeah, would've liked them having a few lines or so or interacting with Littlefoot more.

I agree. I mean, I love Littlefoot's mom and everything (part of the reason her death is so sad), but in the sequels I got to love Grandpa Longneck, particularly. It would've been nice for them to have more dialogue. Maybe focus on Littlefoot's family as a whole, not just him and his mother.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Quote from: Ducky123,Feb 27 2014 on  09:03 PM

Argh yes I just remembered that's something I would have done too. Given Littlefoot's grandma and grandpa more dialog other then just chuckling.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
I personally wouldn't have bothered with the little flyers fighting over a cheery scene... I find it kinda pointless. I know you can say it was there to lighten things up after the death of Littlefoot's mum, but even so things go straight down beat again after it, what with Littlefoot crying into a footprint, thinking he sees his mum and it's just his shadow and meeting Cera and asking her if she wants to go with him and she refuses. I mean for me things don't properly lighten up again till Littlefoot meets Ducky.

I would also in the scene with Littlefoot and Rooter, slightly changed Littlefoot's line from "My tummy hurts" To " My stomach hurts". I found that was too childish for Littlefoot, and I always had to try not to smirk when he said it..
I may also have given Rooter another appearance near the end of the film perhaps when they all get to the great valley.

CeraTheRed

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dalekdino,Apr 30 2014 on  08:23 AM
I personally wouldn't have bothered with the little flyers fighting over a cheery scene... I find it kinda pointless. I know you can say it was there to lighten things up after the death of Littlefoot's mum, but even so things go straight down beat again after it, what with Littlefoot crying into a footprint, thinking he sees his mum and it's just his shadow and meeting Cera and asking her if she wants to go with him and she refuses. I mean for me things don't properly lighten up again till Littlefoot meets Ducky.

I would also in the scene with Littlefoot and Rooter, slightly changed Littlefoot's line from "My tummy hurts" To " My stomach hurts". I found that was too childish for Littlefoot, and I always had to try not to smirk when he said it..
I may also have given Rooter another appearance near the end of the film perhaps when they all get to the great valley.
I can agree with that. I mean, the flyer cherry scene was cute, but what did it really do? Also, I admit, I liked Rooter. I think he would've been a nice addition to the Great Valley. I agree with THAT, too. Littlefoot DOES seem too mature to say that.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The cherry scene actually does serve a purpose. At least at the end it does. At the very end, the flyer is trying to feed Littlefoot the cherry. But Littlefoot refuses to take it.

The purpose of this scene is twofold. First, it shows that not all dinosaurs have prejudice. This flyer willingly came up to Littlefoot, saw that he was hungry, and wilingly gave up his own food to help him. Considering that food is very scarce, the fact that this baby fllyer was willing to give up its meal, the meal which might be the only one he'd get in a very long time, to a total stranger, who is of a different species, shows that some dinosaurs (though technically ptoersaurs aren't dinosaurs) not only lack prejudice against other species, but that there are kind dinos who will commit selfless acts for the sake of others, even those they never met.

The other purpose the scene serves is to show just how broken Littlefoot is. He just lost his mother and though he's hungry, he can't bring himself to eat it. He's so distraught that he just doesn't care about living. Littlefoot, at this point, is kinda suicidal. Not in the sense that he's actively trying to kill himself, but in that he is not doing much to help himself. It isn't until Ducky shows up and he realizes she's in the same boat as him (or a similar one at least) that he snaps out of his depression.

As for the "my tummy hurts", this actually makes sense for Littlefoot to say. Loss can feel very gut wrenching, and Littlefoot has never experienced this before. He isn't saying it out of hunger; he's saying it out of depression. It's not  an immature thing to say. And keep in mind, Littlefoot is a young kid; he's not really that mature in the movie and has shown some less than pleasurable moments. One example is when he tries to force Petrie to fly and keeps running despite Petrie desperatley telling him to stop. Now this wasn't a mature thing for him to do and pretty cold. However, I do like that it's in the movie because it shows that no, Littlefoot is not always mature because he's a kid and he still has so much to learn.

But while I do think that Littlefoot has some immature moments, the "my tummy hurts" certainly isn't one of them, given the sitiuation. He just lost his mother and that horrid feeling of loss, anxiety, and guilt is going to make his stomach hurt. That's how these powerful emotions can work. It's nothing I find remotely funny or something to smirk about.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 30 2014 on  06:01 PM
The cherry scene actually does serve a purpose. At least at the end it does. At the very end, the flyer is trying to feed Littlefoot the cherry. But Littlefoot refuses to take it.

The purpose of this scene is twofold. First, it shows that not all dinosaurs have prejudice. This flyer willingly came up to Littlefoot, saw that he was hungry, and wilingly gave up his own food to help him. Considering that food is very scarce, the fact that this baby fllyer was willing to give up its meal, the meal which might be the only one he'd get in a very long time, to a total stranger, who is of a different species, shows that some dinosaurs (though technically ptoersaurs aren't dinosaurs) not only lack prejudice against other species, but that there are kind dinos who will commit selfless acts for the sake of others, even those they never met.

The other purpose the scene serves is to show just how broken Littlefoot is. He just lost his mother and though he's hungry, he can't bring himself to eat it. He's so distraught that he just doesn't care about living. Littlefoot, at this point, is kinda suicidal. Not in the sense that he's actively trying to kill himself, but in that he is not doing much to help himself. It isn't until Ducky shows up and he realizes she's in the same boat as him (or a similar one at least) that he snaps out of his depression.

As for the "my tummy hurts", this actually makes sense for Littlefoot to say. Loss can feel very gut wrenching, and Littlefoot has never experienced this before. He isn't saying it out of hunger; he's saying it out of depression. It's not  an immature thing to say. And keep in mind, Littlefoot is a young kid; he's not really that mature in the movie and has shown some less than pleasurable moments. One example is when he tries to force Petrie to fly and keeps running despite Petrie desperatley telling him to stop. Now this wasn't a mature thing for him to do and pretty cold. However, I do like that it's in the movie because it shows that no, Littlefoot is not always mature because he's a kid and he still has so much to learn.

But while I do think that Littlefoot has some immature moments, the "my tummy hurts" certainly isn't one of them, given the sitiuation. He just lost his mother and that horrid feeling of loss, anxiety, and guilt is going to make his stomach hurt. That's how these powerful emotions can work. It's nothing I find remotely funny or something to smirk about.
Why oh why is it almost every ruddy time I share my opinion I get lectured about it? This is way I didn't, talk about the scenes I find awkward and would have altered. Believe me I didn't want to smirk about it and I deeply retreat it.  Maybe they could have still had one of the flyers offering Littlefoot the cherry, but  from my POV I find the whole scene of fighting over it in that comedic way quite pointless.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Quote from: CeraTheRed,Apr 30 2014 on  03:33 PM
I personally wouldn't have bothered with the little flyers fighting over a cheery scene... I find it kinda
I can agree with that. I mean, the flyer cherry scene was cute, but what did it really do? Also, I admit, I liked Rooter. I think he would've been a nice addition to the Great Valley. I agree with THAT, too. Littlefoot DOES seem too mature to say that.
Glad someone agrees with me:)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't think you were lectured.
It is a discussion forum and that means that everyone may post their opinions and reasons for them, but same as you are not obliged to agree to the opinions of others others are not obligued to agree with yours. The exchange of different and sometimes even opposing views is what keeps a good discussion going :)
If everyone is of the same view there wouldn't be any discussion at all and anyone posting the own view should also being willing to accept the views of others without taking offense in them (so long there are no personal attacks which was definitely not the case here).

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Pretty much most of the suggestions here, actually. In general, I'd have made the film a full one hour and thirty minutes long.

1. A Petrie hatching scene
2. Littlefoot's Grandparents having lines.
3. A more grand font for the title.
4. The scene where Littlefoot goes off by himself after his falling out with Cera and the others in which he discovers The Great Valley. Then show him going back for them.

I have disagree with you, Dalekdino, about the two scenes you bring up. No offense, of course. I kind of view the scene where the little flyers fight over the last cherry as a callback to some of the little moments you'd get in old school Disney films.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Littlefoot fan 1990

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://vitaniandkovulover.deviantart.com/
There are some of the changes I would have made to the film:

1. A Petrie hatching scene. It would have been a good scene to watch.

2. I would like the idea of Cera's real mom and sisters being alive. It was sad that they were never mentioned after the first film.

3. I've always liked the idea of Littlefoot having real siblings. (three nestmates and an older sibling)

4. I would have made Littlefoot's grandparents interact with him more instead of waiting till the 2nd film.

5. I would introduce Bron as Littlefoot's dad in the 1st movie instead of waiting till movie 10.

6. I like the idea of Spike having his real parents and maybe a sibling or two.

7. No silly terms like bright circle, mountains that burn (I like sun and volcano better).

8. Don't kill off Littlefoot's mom.

9. Have Littlefoot refer to his mom as Mom instead of Mother.

10. Instead of waiting till the 4th movie; I'd introduce Ali and her herd in the 1st movie.

11. I would not make Ali and her herd be related to Littlefoot's grandparents.

Those are my ideas for changes. Feel free to disagree; we all have our own opinions.

:)  :)  :smile  :wave  :yes

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile

1.I wouldn't include the flashback sequence at the end. It just sort of came out of nowhere and was sort of treating us like we were goldfish.

2.I wouldn't have included old Rooter, either. I know he was made to soften the blow, but he just sort of appeared out of nowhere and was never brought up again. I feel the film manages to get across the advice he gives Littlefoot without that scene. Oh yes, and the circle of life mention doesn't help.

3. Oh, and the huge stampede near the oasis. Totally out of nowhere. That was unnecessary.

4. Also, the transitioning from defeating Sharptooth to Littlefoot on the cliff felt...odd. (I've heard that scene was originally going to be placed after the fight with Cera. Maybe put it there?)

5. Spike suddenly appearing twice the size he was when he hatched? Yeah, that clearly has problems. Why couldn't he be the same age as the rest?

6. Also, him being adopted felt sort of sudden. Why not have him find his own family?

7.. Oh yeah, and Cera's mom and sisters. They were missing at the end.

8.. The sudden transition to night after the earthquake was another bizarre thing, considering it was night five minutes ago.

9. Having the characters appear too bright in the great valley. Just...no.

10. Maybe play down the melodrama a tad.

11. The game of "don't step on a crack" is ruined when Ducky is shown intentionally changing the line...

12. The narrator. God, he was annoying. Just had to state the obvious, didn't he?

13. Petrie's lack of a backstory.

14. Also, him weirdly appearing black in his early shots.

15. The title's font.

16. All the trees in the oasis suddenly disapearing when they go to sleep? Yeah, that was weird.

17. "We're going the right way! The way to the great vallay!!!" some of those lines were delivered rather narmily.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile

I was ok with that until I heard Ducky use "stomach" instead of "tummy". Anyways, I wasn't quite sure of it's purpose until after hearing Dalekdino's explanation...which I seriously understand. It's not just losing someone you love that can make that happen---it's losing an opportunity as well.