The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Contradictions in word usage

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have noticed a number of flaws in the lyrics to a number of the LBT songs.  Nothing serious, mind you, and I realize that many of these words were used for the sake of letting the song flow more cleanly.  Anywho, here's what I've noticed.

"Peaceful Valley":  "Faraway dreams really do come true."
"No One Has to be alone": "There are dreams to be discovered and dreams to leave behind."
In LBT 2 and LBT 9, the songs refers to them as Dreams, whereas they are referred to as "Sleep stories" in LBT 10.  Another example of this same incident is in LBT 7, when they are talking about the Stone of Cold Fire.  Grandpa Longneck uses the quote "...Or maybe it was something you saw in a dream?"  
I suppose the dinosaur world uses the terms "Dream" and "sleep story" interchangeably, but why is the term "Sleep Story" never used until LBT 10, and why is the word "Dream" never used in LBT 10?  Just minor things.

"Big Water: "We wish the Sun would fly up and make the water dry up."
"It takes All Sorts": "..find our place in the Sun."
"Always There: "When the Sun went down and everyone was sleeping..."
The word "Sun" is used, as opposed to the "Great circle" or "bright circle".  The word "Sun" is Never used in normal dialog, yet "great circle" is never used in the songs.

If I can recall anymore, I'll post them up.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
As a music person, you as me would know that if they were to use the artificial words the LBT writers created the song wouldn't flow because the LBT words have way too many syllables.  The alternative is to use the real word and move on.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
That's an interesting point Action9000. It seems like the long dinosaur circumscriptions are often too unwieldy for a song.
I've got another example:
LBT 6 (Littlefoot's grandpa): There are tales of how the bright circle gave birth to the lesser lights of the dark time...
LBT 5 (Always there): In the morning light and evening star...
Star may be mentioned elsewhere, but I'm not sure.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Grandpa Longneck uses the quote "...Or maybe it was something you saw in a dream?"
Haha, I was actually gonna post a topic on that but I wanted to watch the movie again so I could pinpoint the location and everything :P:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How about this one?

LBT 7: Rainbow faces

LBT 9: Sky Colors

Makes you wonder, huh? :)

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I purely reckon it's down to the appropriateness and the sylablle timing. I mean for "Peaceful Valley"...in the end credits version and you imgaine trying to squeeze in "The Bright Circle sets and rises..." ?

For songs, I think there is a fine defining line in timings (especially with lyrics). But there are a few examples were I'm slightly sceptical and it's moreso in the prose (spoken text) where it gets me more.

E.g.

In LBT 5, Grandpa says "Looks like we mind be in for some sky-water" yet in LBT 6 Cera says, "Hey...is it starting to rain?" A contradiction in terminologies of rain.

Also, in LBT 7, the newcoming alien race is known as "Rainbow faces" yet in LBT 9 Littlefoot says, "Wooow! The sky-colours!" (as Pokeplayer as already pointed out! :DD )

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
How about this one?

LBT 7: Rainbow faces

LBT 9: Sky Colors

Makes you wonder, huh? :)
Lol :lol yeah.  I always thought the term "sky colours" felt a little bit awkward.  I never actually noticed this contradiction until you mentioned it, though. That's funny :P:

As a music person, you as me would know that if they were to use the artificial words the LBT writers created the song wouldn't flow because the LBT words have way too many syllables. The alternative is to use the real word and move on.
That is very true.  It's unfortunate that this was necessary, but there wasn't a nice way to make the lengthy terms used in normal dialog to flow smoothly in a song.