The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time Glossary

Pangaea · 93 · 33092

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
While I agree that “halfteeth” is rather awkward in its application to toothless dinosaurs, I rather like the term, and how it complements “sharpteeth” and “flatteeth” as a dietary denominator. Actually, it’s only slightly more problematic than using “flatteeth” to refer to herbivorous dinosaurs, as not all of them had teeth, either. Perhaps the leafeaters (or sharpteeth, for that matter) would use “halfteeth” as a term, not knowing or caring that Struthiomimus and Oviraptor don’t have teeth. At any rate, it’ll be included in the glossary, probably accompanied by a footnote in the “Notes” section. :p I like the term “flowing sniffer” as well; I’ll be using it, too.

Maiasaura does have a sort of a crest, but compared with other hadrosaurs like Corythosaurus and Parasaurolophus, it’s not much more than a lump on the forehead, and so far, yours is the only name I’ve seen anyone come up with for that dinosaur. :P: (It’s rather incredible just how difficult Maiasaura is to name.)

“Flower dust” and “Landwalker” have already been used in the LBT series to refer to pollen and terrestrial animals respectively, but I can add your terms to the list anyway.

The one term I don’t think I’ll be adding is “Horned Clawhand”, as Irritator does not appear in the canon LBT series. (I suppose I could add another section to the glossary devoted to dinosaur species that appear only in fanfics, but not in the LBT films, but I’d just as well not bother unless I receive a substantial amount of urging to do so.) However, “clawhand” strikes me as a good name for Baryonyx, so you’ve still made a contribution with that term. (Incidentally, the book The Land Before Time: The Illustrated Story refers to the Struthiomimus that tries to steal Littlefoot’s egg as a “claw-hand” as well.)

Thanks for the terms, Kacie! :)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

TheGirlFromFinland

• Ruby
    • View Profile
In my little LBT fanon dinosaurs named Troodon are called as a thinker (Since scientists are thinking Troodon as smartest dinosaur) and some dinosaurs call fire as land lighting. Adultscence is sometimes called as Time of Rebellion.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
May I recommend the term "Long Claw" for Therzinosaurus? It would be apt. And maybe "Giant Flier" for Quetzalcoatlus?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's certainly what I'd call a Therizinosaurus if I was an LBT dinosaur, :p but at this time I'm limiting the glossary to species that have appeared in the LBT franchise. I suppose I can't argue with "Giant Flyer" (which I have now added), but there's something bugging me: have the LBT characters ever actually used the word "giant"? :huh: It seems like they always substitute it with "great".

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hm. Maybe we should do a fandom-wise dictionary so we can get other species in, like "Longclaw."

And I have another list of insults:
  • Son of a Tarpit (I actually have Pterano insult Red Claw this way in my fan episode. The full insult Pterano gives him is "Son of a tarpit with the brain of a rock")
  • Bark Beak (an insult to plant-eating fliers, usually given by fish-eating fliers. Sometimes, it is used as a harsher term than "beak head" or "wing brain"
[/color]

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Seeing as the LBT Glossary isn't receiving a whole lot of new additions (thereby giving me less to do as far as updating it is concerned), and there have already been a number of people who have come forth with names for non-LBT dinosaurs, perhaps I'll make that my first new LBT project for 2010. Thanks, Ptyra. :)

I've always thought that "tar" was an unusually modern word for the LBT dinosaurs to use, but Littlefoot does use the term "tar pit" in movie #3, and you're the second person to suggest that particular insult, so I'll do it. :p

How would you define "Son of a Tar Pit"? Somehow, "general insult" seems insufficient. :unsure:

"Bark Beak" has been added as well. It's the first insult to receive an entry under "Notes", describing its application in greater detail. Let me know if what I've written is incomplete and/or inaccurate. ;)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I was thinking "son of a tarpit" would go under extreme profanity (In my fan-episode, I have it directed toward Red Claw)...kind of like S.o.B...

And as for the non-LBT dinosaurs dictionary, I found a big ol' list of dinosaurs to re-name as LBT...and so people can have more ideas of what kinds to use for fan characters.
Set one
Set two This one is MUCH more expansive than the other one.

I came here while I was looking for "new" species to use in my fanfictions. Here's an example of what I found, Saltopus
Here's an example of what I found, Saltopus. The character's name is Topus.
I would call this kind either a "safe sharptooth", since they primarily eat incests and carrion, or perhaps a "crawler-eating sharptooth".

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Urg...Sorry about taking so long with this. :slap I've added a new section to the glossary for non-canon dinosaurs (i.e., dinosaurs that appear in fanfictions, but not in the official LBT series). I've also updated the entry for "Son of a Tar Pit".

I can't imagine the term "safe sharpteeth" being used to refer to one's own species. :lol I presume it's a term the leafeaters use for them?

Just so you know, Saltopus is not generally considered to be a true dinosaur nowadays, but a basal dinosauriform, related to the direct ancestors of dinosaurs. I don't think the LBT dinosaurs would know the difference, though.

One more thing: all of your links lead to the same site. :huh:

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, I thought "safe sharptooth" seemed a little odd too, but it does sound like a leaf-eater term. They certainly wouldn't know the difference. As far as I know, they could call Mo a dinosaur XD !

The links do lead to the same site, but second list is WAAAAY longer than the other.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, that would be VERY helpful O_O .
Now we can have plenty more ideas for "original" characters :D !

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Jan 20 2010 on  10:59 PM
The links do lead to the same site, but second list is WAAAAY longer than the other.
The trouble is, they don’t just lead to the same site, but the exact same PAGE. :blink: Evidently all of the pages on that site have the same URL. :rolleyes I’m familiar with Zoom Dinosaurs. I suppose it’s a pretty good site for someone with a casual interest in dinosaurs, but unfortunately it hasn’t been updated for most of the decade (go to “List of Dinos” and you’ll see there’s not a dinosaur on there that was named later than 2001), and thus has no information on the many recent species that have been discovered.

A couple of frequently updated dinosaur sites I visit a lot are Thescelosaurus!
Thescelosaurus! and DinoData, but they’re much more scientific, and not easy for the non-paleo-nut to comprehend. Plus, while they provide lots of dinosaur names, they don’t show what most of them look like. There’s also this site, which is far more layperson-friendly. Otherwise, if anyone needs suggestions for a dinosaur species to fill a particular OC role, they can always ask me. :smile

Yeah, I thought "safe sharptooth" seemed a little odd too, but it does sound like a leaf-eater term. They certainly wouldn't know the difference. As far as I know, they could call Mo a dinosaur XD !
Actually, now that I think about it, I’m not even sure the leafeaters would regard Saltopus as a sharptooth. :unsure: Apart from the pointy teeth and non-herbivorous habits, it doesn’t have much in common with the large, dangerous creatures whose name probably serves as an alarm call (consider the first thing that's usually shouted whenever a predatory dinosaur shows up) as much as it does a species designation. I’m just thinking out loud here, but alternatively, an LBT Saltopus could be called a “jumper” or “leaper” (since its name translates to “leaping foot”), or even something like  “nipper” or “tiny biter”. (Perhaps Thud was comparing Chomper to a Saltopus when he kept calling him “Little Biter” in “Escape From the Mysterious Beyond”?) On the other hand, maybe having sharp teeth and eating insects is enough to warrant being called a sharptooth, and Saltopus would be called a “tiny sharptooth” (or either of the names you came up with). Hmm...perhaps I should add all of those names?

Wonder what they would call Mo. “Swimmer” is way too general...

EDIT: Wow! Took me a long time to write this. :blink: Thank you, Kacie!

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
What about Utahraptor or would the LBT dinos just see it as a giant Deinonychus (technically, it makes a little bit of sense because they are both Dromaeosauridae)?

And you have Deinonychus repeated twice:

Ankylosaurus – Clubtail
Archelon – Shellback Swimmer, Shell Swimmer, Shelled Swimmer
Beipiaosaurus – Yellow Belly
Carnivore – Sharptooth
ï Allosaurus – Ridge-Eye Sharptooth, Scrapebiter Sharptooth
ï Baryonyx – Clawhand, Longnose Sharptooth, Longsnout Sharptooth
ï Deinonychus – Fastclaw, Sickleclaw, Terrorclaw
ï Liopleurodon – Sharptooth Swimmer, Swimming Sharptooth
ï Shark – Swimming Sharptooth
ï Spinosaurus – Sailback Sharptooth, Spineback
ï Tyrannosaurus – Bonecrusher Sharptooth, Crunchbiter, Twoclaw Sharptooth, Two Finger Sharptooth
ï Velociraptor – Fast Biter
Crocodilian – Bellydragger
ï Deinosuchus – Bigmouth Bellydragger
ï Sarcosuchus – Longnose Bellydragger, Longsnout Bellydragger
Centrosaurus – Onehorn
Chasmosaurus – Squareshield
Deinonychus – Fastclaw, Sickleclaw

Maybe Big Water Swimmer or Finned Swimmer?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Jan 29 2010 on  06:02 PM
What about Utahraptor or would the LBT dinos just see it as a giant Deinonychus (technically, it makes a little bit of sense because they are both Dromaeosauridae)?
I'd assume they'd simply consider a Utahraptor a large version of a Deinonychus or Velociraptor, and refer to it by the same name(s). (Incidentally, the size of the fast biters in LBT VII, XI, XIII, and the TV series looks about right for Utahraptor, even though they are presumably intended to be Velociraptor.)

And you have Deinonychus repeated twice:
Oh, darn it! :slap Thanks for catching that.

Maybe Big Water Swimmer or Finned Swimmer?
Not bad, although “Big Water Swimmer” could apply to any marine creature, and “Finned Swimmer” sounds equally appropriate for fish. I'll add them anyway, though.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Maybe Squeaking Swimmer or Talkback Swimmer, refering to their echo? I think that's how Mo communicates with his family, isn't it?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Those are pretty good. I've added them as well. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I found an official term.

In the episode, The Bright Circle Celebration, a meteor flies through the air and hits the valley.  Cera asks what it was to her dad and Topsy simply calls it, "A Fire Rock".

So simply, a meteor is also called a Fire Rock.

EDIT: Oh, and when it snowed in the same episode, they called the snow "Frozen Sky Water".

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It sure looked like a meteorite, but immediately after the fire started, Littlefoot implied that it had come from a smoking mountain. "fire rock" was previously used to refer to lava bombs in "Canyon of the Shiny Stones", while the term "flying rock" is reserved for meteorites. (I'd even go so far as to guess that if the rock was intended to be a meteorite, there was some miscommunication between the animators and the scriptwriters, and it was instead described as a lava bomb.) I'm hesitant to use both terms, for fear of making things confusing.

I'll add "frozen skywater", though.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Hmm... I don't understand the term "Fourwing" for Microraptors exactly. Can somebody clear me up? :unsure:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Sky,Feb 17 2010 on  05:31 PM
Hmm... I don't understand the term "Fourwing" for Microraptors exactly. Can somebody clear me up? :unsure:
Microraptors have essentially four wings. Not only their front limbs, but back limbs adapted into wings.

http://www.wissenschaft-online.de/sixcms/m...roraptor_3_.jpg