The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dinotopia Rp Discussion

Kor · 24 · 1988

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 For what I could find, the Ornithomimus was a dinosaur similar to the rainbowfaces I think, here is a link to the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornithomimus
 About Saurian species that can understand and speak the human languages, you may post their names here, that may make things easier for players wanting to play as Saurians without contradicting the books.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could be that some others similar in shape to the Ornithomimus can be a scribe, rainbowfaces (gallimimus) among them.  troodons, deinonychus, & maybe velociraptors can't since though they may be smart enough they do not have 3 goes on the ground, with 1 of then being off the ground and having a large claw on them, a thing the deinonychus  and velociraptors are famous for.    Any dino with 3 toes that are on the ground could be a scribe it would seem.  

As for the ones that can understand human, it seems any dino can, some do and some do not.  Being able to speak a human language is something else.  Unlike in the mini & tv series, where it may be annoying to have one of the main characters not able to speak English like the rest of the cast is, it would seem that troodons can't, or at least Malik can't since Bix has to translate and does for the times where Arthur & a dino speak to each other, though Arthur usually speaks to a human instead of a dino.  Enit the deinonychus and head librarian doesn't talk to Arthur, his human partner does.  Enit just growls once in the first and once in the 2nd book in his appearance.  

Protoceratops are shown as being able to speak any human language that they know, Bix being the famous one in the books, though it seems she does not know English.  

Dimorphodons may be able to speak human languages.  There is never one mentioned or shown doing so, but in a painting in the book, a full page spread it mentions they can memorize messages to carry to various destinations.  Since it does not say for saurians only, and it mentions a cross between a carrier pigeon and a parrot one can assume they can speak human languages.  They may not be sentient but it can be extrapolated that they may be.  A messenger is handier if they are sentient.  

Oviraptor - there is one in the 4th book dressing Arthur and giving him lessons in Chandaran court etiquette.  It does not mention Bix being present nor that she is translating so it seems that at least the feathered types can speak human languages.  Though the non feathered ones may be able to also.  

There are not any others specifically being capable of speaking human languages.  Understanding them is a different thing.  

It seems that all feathered dinosaurs are from the Chandara empire, which, untill the apparent end of the 4th book, was closed off to the rest of Dinotopia with I think only Chandara skybax riders allowed outside of the Chandara empire and no one allowed in.  

My guess is he may have done this since when he made Dinotopia it was not common knowledge, or maybe even among dino experts, that many types were feathered so when it came to be common knowledge among dino experts & those who like dinos he put the feathered ones in the Chandara empire, a pretty good idea since it they were closed off till the after the 4th book explains why there were really no feathered dinos seen in the first 2 books.

I'm thinking of doing a Troodon or deinonychus as a character.  I may add in a dimorphodon so the char can have someone present who can talk to humans.  Or maybe do another type of dino, maybe a oviraptor.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 That quantity of information is awesome!, I will think about this and try to think of a character to join. I wonder if Microraptors may exist there, with a human partner maybe.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sorry for the long posts.  I dislike doing long posts and try not to.  

Microraptors do exist.  There is at least 1 that lives in Chandara, and that means there are likely others.   It is even painted with the correct 4 wings.  By the text it seems able to truly fly, instead of glide like real world microraptors did.  Which is possible since once they moved to the Chandara part of Dinotopia they could have evolved to have true flight instead of gliding.  

He seldom draws the smaller types of dinos, mainly focusing on painting the large ones, and the ones especially popular and famous ones, t-rex, allosaurs, the sauropods, and the like.

To bad I'm not someone famous.  I could just call james on the phone and ask him some questions.   :smile

I was looking over some bits of the 4th book and it seems maybe all small pterosaurs can speak human languages instead of just Dimorphodon, not sure though.   If others have ideas I'm willing to listen to them.