The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 73839

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey all,
I'm mainly setting up this topic for myself, so I can keep track of programming progress and overall game development.  If anyone has anything to add here, feel free of course. :)

A few tips on how this is set up:
Link: A link to the latest version of the game.

New Stuff: What's been added since the previous version.

Known bugs: Stuff that I know is broken or not working "properly".
[FIXED!] is a tag I will edit in once I have fixed the bug.  This fix will appear in the *next* version.  The posted link will still have the bug

Coming soon: Likely to appear within the next version or two.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link:
search3.idrive.com/driveway/jsp/dway_download.jsp?id=j2m4v2p4w0
[LINK EXPIRED]

NEW STUFF IN THIS VERSION:
1) Multiplayer support up to 100 players in one game (lag will depend on location, the number of players in the game and internet connection quality). Players in the game can see each other move. Players can also chat in-game.
HOST GAME and JOIN GAME features are now functional. Read the instructions file for details on how to play multiplayer.

2) Sky background. It's still pretty rough, with the seams at the "corners" but it's a lot nicer than the green background.

3) Daytime-style lighting

4) Shadows have been disabled on the cube for now, until I can make everything nice and pretty.

Anyway, now for the important stuff:
I recommend we playtest this using Hamachi to run it over a LAN. I have not yet set up ports for internet play. We can *try* internet play but I cannot guarantee good results. It hasn't been tested at all.

Known Bugs:
1) The START button on the JOIN GAME screen does NOT actually join the game. The ENTER key does. The START button does something from an old version, where it starts the game in a weird single-player mode. Don't use it.
[EDIT] FIXED!

2) The cubes don't have the proper shadows on them. I disabled shadowing for now to speed up rendering on slower computers. I also want to play around a bit more with the graphic effects before I start turning on a bunch of stuff.
[EDIT] This will not be changed any time soon.

3) The OPTIONS screen still doesn't let you change anything.
[EDIT] FIXED!

4) If you type text longer than 200 characters before pressing ENTER, the results will be unpredictable. I want to put a limit on this soon so you physically can't type more than that, but I haven't done it yet.

5) Players are not yet notified when somebody joins or leaves the game.

6) If one player leaves the game, the host isn't properly notified yet. That cube may not disappear from the game. New players who join may be assigned to a weird ID number. This means that if you leave and join the game enough times, you will eventually overload the 100 player limit. I'm not freeing up ID numbers yet.

7)The text will flicker a bit, moreso on slower computers. I am looking into a fix for this. I think I know the cause, I just need to figure out some clever way around it.
[EDIT] FIXED!

8) Players are not yet able to input their usernames into the game. As a result, the chat just simply shows the text that was sent. It doesn't show who sent it. You may not want to use the game as an instant messenger just yet.
[EDIT] FIXED!

9) Backspacing in the chat system doesn't work very well.
[EDIT] FIXED!  Backspacing now works as expected. :)

10) The angle the player is facing is not yet sent over the network, just their physical location.

COMING SOON:
1) Basically, fix everything that's broken.  (In progress)
2) The beginnings of the development of 3d models of the Great Valley map.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Currently working on:
scaling images no matter what the screen resolution is set to.  I recently found out I have no "resize image" command in my game programming library so it's taking longer than expected to work it out. <_<  :p

I apologize for the delay..this is proving to be a royal pain. <_<

The joys of having the lead programmer be an amateur, hey? :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay well here's a little good news:
I found a solution for the image resizing situation, now I just have to code it!

We're well on our way again. :)

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Does the above link go to a newer version of the game, or can we only play the earlier version (awesome as it was...)?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Does the above link go to a newer version of the game, or can we only play the earlier version (awesome as it was...)?
It goes to the earlier version.

I'll make a clear announcement when an update is posted.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
After messing around with the code for 2d graphics a bit more, I've determined that I'll need a little bit of time to get everything working really smoothly.

Please bear with me, I guarantee the results will be worth it. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
haha well I was slowed down by a pesky bug just now, where every time you changed the resolution the program crashed! <_<  :angry:

Basically, I load images and convert them to sprites in my program.  As a sprite, I can resize and scale the graphic, which is why I do this.  If I just load the image, I can't do anything with it except draw it on the screen.  I need to turn it into a sprite to be able to manipulate it, detect where it is, see if anything else is touching it, etc.
I found out after a lot of messing around that I have to delete the sprite and reassign the image to it every time I change the resolution. :p

I found out why after a good 2 hours of fighting with it, so I'm moving on again, now that it's stable. :lol:  ;)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Things are starting to nicely fall into place now. :)

By the way, we broke 2000 lines of code today, with 2144 lines in the current project. :D

Just a little more and I'll have something nice to post for everyone... :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A little teaser screenshot of the new chat system:

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Smooth progress so far. But, you haven't fixed the bug with "/" key? :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
still a bit left to do still, I'm afraid.  These fixes are proving to be a bit of a pain every step of the way... <_<

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Seems interesting.  With the latest version I was able to get it running on my 2nd pc. No idea why the previous version would not work.  I think someone mentioned the odd thing of jumping off of the world and your falling upward.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think someone mentioned the odd thing of jumping off of the world and your falling upward.
That will never be fixed because in the actual game, there will be no way to fall off the world.  The maps will be designed as such.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How about flyers, could they fly off of the world?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
How about flyers, could they fly off of the world?
I was planning on simply putting up invisible walls at the edges of where I want flyers to be able to go.  I will keep the boundaries very generous.  I just don't want the player to be able to see or fly over the edge of the world. :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some of the invisible walls can be concealed as mountains that are to high to fly over, or things like that.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Smooth progress so far. But, you haven't fixed the bug with "/" key?
Fixed. :)

Working on wrapping the text within the chat window now. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
More screenies!
I've redone the Join Game system now, too.  It's significantly more reliable and streamlined.
Still needs nicer graphics though! :lol:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm...

A field test of a prerelease of the new version with Littlefoot Fan revealed some more issues that must be resolved, including a rather brutal framerate bug which I assume to be related to my timer that regulates the rate of code execution...basically, after playing for awhile, you experience horrible slowdown/freezing for a up to 7-10 seconds every few minutes.  I'm still looking to the exact cause.

In short, I have more work to do! :p