The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Who knows you watch LBT? Do you watch it alone?

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I typically watch the LBT films alone. For me each film has a touch of melancholy. I can remember when I saw each installment of the LBT anthology. I remember I use to watch as many of the films as I could tell the wee hours in the morning. There was comfort in the adventures of the Gang of Five and oh so many memories. I still think the films can transport you to a imaginitive paradise where dinosaurs become like family members.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 04:15:59 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Not sure if I responded to this, but my family is aware of how much I love LBT. It was my childhood obsession. I don't watch LBT nowadays because the DVDs I have are all old and will keep lagging in the player, but everyone knows much I love it.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
My family used to know that I watched a lot of LBT back in the day, but at the present time nobody. May have something to do with the fact that I was actually the only one in the entire family to watch. I don't think any of my friends really watch this kind of stuff. I was basically the singleton. Now I watch LBT at least once a day.  :lol

Vojeds

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Well... I have tried to be open about it but It's kinda, hard it's exactly like you said people sometimes expect too much of you I kinda got caught watching lbt once I immediately had to rationalize or else it would have been a bit embarrassed that's way nowadays I choose to watch  alone  :(petrie

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I remember back when I was in elementary school, my family owned the original LBT on VHS, so my parents probably watched it with me a couple times. And I can remember seeing some of the sequels at school, as the series was quite popular back then. Nowadays, with the 14-film DVD set I own, I watched that all by myself, as I don't hang out with anyone else who likes LBT as much as I do. But then again, I watch a lot of movies on my own anyway, as I live by myself.

My mother and brother know that I'm an LBT fan and they're both okay with it, and I don't think I'd have any problem telling people that the first film is my favourite animated movie (which I have done a few times). But beyond that, my enjoyment of the series isn't really something I want to openly show off (outside of this forum, of course). I try not to be embarassed, but it can be hard sometimes. Like with Flathead, I too have an LBT shirt, although I do not wear it often.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:01:33 PM by StardustSoldier »

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
I recently opened up to my mother about it. She was kind and understanding about it. Some things you can never grow out of, even when you're older.
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Anyone that I tell about me watching LBT either already likes it themselves or never heard of it before. So yeah, people are very accepting of the show in my experiences. :yes

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
My family knows a little bit about my enjoyment of LBT, but none of my friends know, and it'll likely stay that way. And thus I watch it by myself... :(
To elaborate on why I say this, Land Before Time is really not well-known here despite the fact that there is a Universal Studios theme park with Jurassic Park attractions.

The reason I bring this up is because I literally jusr remembered about this incident that took place about 3-4 years ago with a friend of mine, which was literally one of only two times Land Before Time has ever been brought up in conversation in my real life thus far.

Friend A: *approaches me* "Hey, do you know the Land Before Time?"
Me: *widened eyes, about to speak up*
Friend A: *continues without a beat, face completely serious* "Do you know that Judith Barsi was—"
Me: *realizes where conversation is going, hastily cuts friend off from fact-drop* "Yes, I do." Deadpan pause. "I already know what happened to her." :sducky

For context, the only other time was:
DVD Seller: I can give you 1 free for 2! What you want?
Me: *points to bargain bin DVD seller* So I want this... dinosaur movie. (actually LBT5)

So yeah, it's really not easy to talk to others in real life about this dinosaur movie. Most don't even know it exists. :(
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I tend to watch it alone. When my nephew was a little paleontologist, he watched LBT incessantly and obsessively. My parents watched the I-III, after that they only caught glimpses of IV-X.

One of the reasons I joined this community, is I wanted to find LBT fans who love the franchise as much as I.  :)petrie
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 02:24:15 AM by Gentle Sharptooth »

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
My family knows, that I watched it in my elementary school days, when they watched it too, but I do not bring it up on my own, since when I started watching it again, because I do not know many people, who openly admit to watch child cartoons, when they are adults, and there certainly are people, who would tell, that I am childish or another sort of thing. I would tell only, if I knew, that someone else is a fan. And this applies to many other movies, pc games, etc..

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile

Sharpely

• Scary and strangerous :D
  • Member+
  • Chomper
  • Hard thing to fly...GRRRRRRRRRGGHHH!!!
    • View Profile
My younger siblings know I have a (slightly) secret fondness for a lot of things I liked as a little kid, including The Land Before Time. Still, I wouldn't be caught dead by my parents watching it, and even if my siblings caught me I'd never hear the end of it. So I keep it to myself. Man, if I have kids one day though  gonna raise 'em on it  :smile
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:53:49 PM by Sharpely »

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
A little update since I got back into it. Well my mom and I were sharing a hotel room the other day and I was itching to draw some dinos. She of course noticed and was like, "Oh are you back into Land Before Time?" I was half expecting a jokey judgement from her but then she told me she saw a bunch of LBT toys in IKEA and asked if I wanted her to get them the next time she went. Uh, yes please!

So far my mom and my bestie know I'm back into the series but I'll always watch it alone.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
So far my mom and my bestie know I'm back into the series but I'll always watch it alone.

Probably the same for me as well.

I was half expecting a jokey judgement from her but then she told me she saw a bunch of LBT toys in IKEA and asked if I wanted her to get them the next time she went. Uh, yes please!

That is really cool though. :)

shaiger

• Chomper
    • View Profile
This has been an interesting thred to read. It seems like it's almost universal that people don't really talk about their interest in LBT to real-life friends and/or family. Of course I assume that the majority of this forum's userbase is from the USA, but I wouldn't be surprised if this phenomenon reached other countries and continents as well.

As for me, personally, it's kinda 50/50. Now that I'm an adult I honestly don't care what other people think. Of course it's not the first thing I say about myself when I meet other people, but if it ever comes up, I won't shy away from the subject or deny anything. I unironically enjoy this film series and have grown past my shame of enjoying it.

As a child, maybe up until I was 7, I was open about it, because I think it was more acceptable to like them as I was part of the target audience. Older kids didn't watch them so once I became older, I didn't tell anyone I liked the movies anymore. I felt shame when I asked my mom if she could go and rent the 10th movie that just came out, but in all honesty... my mom was very understanding. She didn't judge me, but despite her kindness I felt awkward about it. I have two older siblings who are five and four years older than me, and sometimes they made snarky remarks about me liking LBT movies but it was never with ill intent.

Once I met my future husband at the age of 15, I was hyped to know that he, too, was an LBT fan and that we shared the same favorite characters and movies! Fast forward ten years and we've collected the movies (DVDs and VHS) and once binge watched them all in two days with my sister-in-law. It was good fun and while we didn't convert her to be a hard-core LBT fan, she was still glad about the experience.

Also my school-mates from the university of applied sciences knew about me being a fan, and once we watched the first movie together. It felt great, considering that every one of them is into animation (I mean, that was our line of study lol) and no-one judges each other for their preferences and interests. Also some of them hadn't seen the movie before, so it was interesting to hear their opinions on it, too.

But nowadays if I watch LBT movies, it's either with my husband or alone. Usually when he's out of town, I watch the seventh film or just put it on the background, as it is one of my go-to comfort films. But if I ever feel like watching those films with anyone, I'll just simply ask them.

HotelValleyfornia

• Shark took my leg, brah!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • All aboard the Hyperfixation Express!
    • View Profile
My family knows I'm into LBT, yep yep yep :duckyhappy

As for watching it with others, I usually watch it by myself, but there was one exception. A long time ago in a Great Valley far far away, I watched the first LBT with my younger stepsister, who’s always liked the movies. At the time she was a bit of a cynic, and the only ones in the gang she liked were Littlefoot and Ducky…oof  :p
These days though she’s warmed to Spike considerably. Well she had a kid recently and she’s now grateful for his quietness :p
I think she’s better with Petrie now too. But Cera…nope, still badmouths the threehorn all the time. Though it probably doesn’t help she didn’t even realize movie 12 (one of the better ones for the Ceranator) existed.
Current hyperfixation: Total Drama

Yacht life! :DD

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Ceranator lol.
My mom is the only one in my family who knows I like LBT these days.

CappyGaming

• Chomper
  • I love Littlefoot!
    • View Profile
At first, I watched LBT with only my friends knowing, since I could trust them.  But after Mom found my Littlefoot plush, I knew the big was up.  Thankfully, they're understandable and respect me.  I usually watch LBT alone, but I'm still trying to get my friend to watch the first movie

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
My friends know I watched this franchise.  But ever since they found out, they made fun of me for it.  I then showed them one of the memes I made for this forum, and then now they’re cool with me liking the franchise.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
My friends know I watched this franchise.  But ever since they found out, they made fun of me for it.  I then showed them one of the memes I made for this forum, and then now they’re cool with me liking the franchise.

I am glad you swayed them.