The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Gender Misconceptions

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ha, this has actually happened to me. Twice!

On LBT 8, when I was younger, I used to think Tippy was female. I hadn't watched the film in a while, and a few years ago when I checked the wiki on LBT 8, I learned that Tippy was actually male... lol boy how that changed my view.

Also, when I was young, and until a few years ago, I used to think Rabbit on Winnie the Pooh was female too! I hadn't watched either films in quite a while, but I never paid those characters a second thought on their gender till actually learning about it xD

I always imagined Tippy as Spike's new and quirky female friend and Rabbit as the grumpy, funny, old female rabbit of the Hundred Acre Wood.

Have you guys ever had misconceptions about characters and their gender :lol ?

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
When I first saw The Lion King 2 I thought Vitani was a boy...no she is a girl.

I also thought Tippy from LBT8 was a girl,it didn't even click even when Tippy's mother said "Come on BOYS,lets go home"  :slap.

When I was younger and first saw the first LBT movie I kept thinking Grandpa was Grandma and Grandma was Grandpa...don't ask why....I don't know myself,this was in the first movie by the way where they didn't have voices so I couldn't tell if which one was which  <_<.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nahla,Nov 20 2013 on  09:07 PM
When I first saw The Lion King 2 I thought Vitani was a boy...no she is a girl.

I also thought Tippy from LBT8 was a girl,it didn't even click even when Tippy's mother said "Come on BOYS,lets go home"  :slap.

When I was younger and first saw the first LBT movie I kept thinking Grandpa was Grandma and Grandma was Grandpa...don't ask why....I don't know myself,this was in the first movie by the way where they didn't have voices so I couldn't tell if which one was which  <_<.
Lol yeah I just rewatched LBT 8 today and Tippy's mom said "come along boys" about three times yet I had never noticed ha xD

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
For so long, I thought Shenzi from the first Lion King was a boy. Yep, the "madame" line from Zazu flew right over my head.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Heh. Shenzi I always knew was a girl (though I watched Lion King later) . I knew Vitani was girl though xD

(but then look at my other misconceptions)

Zimba

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nahla,Nov 21 2013 on  12:07 PM

Hehe,Nahla you silly billy.

Do games count? Cause I was pretty sure Yoshi was a girl cause he laid eggs...but no he is a he....yeah....

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
The cow on Barnyard has an udder. lol

Even though Yoshi laid eggs... he still seemed pretty masculine so I assumed he was male or multi-gendered (literally)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I thought Dil was male, because of her voice in the Dutch version.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I always thought Terk from Tarzan was a boy.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
^ Ohh me too!
She had the voice and demeanor of a boy, what were we meant to think?!  :p

How about Tweety-Pie? I still have no idea if it's a boy or girl.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In an officially released German audio play of the original movie they refer to Ducky as "er" which means "he" causing some confusion (the movie never specifies) which was only solved by the sequels :p

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Nov 21 2013 on  03:53 AM
^ Ohh me too!
Now that I think about it o-O ... me three!

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I always thought Spongebob was a girl. And I also always thought that Terk was a boy too.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ducky is voiced by a boy in the Croatian dub of the original LBT, and uses masculine participle endings when talking about herself.

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Tippy
Terk from Tarzan
Blue and Magenta from Blue's Clues
 :oops

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Wait Blue is female?? My life is a lie! lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Haha, that is one I missed as well... The whole purple = female and blue = male thing just made sense to me :P: Oh well

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
. The reason for that is because the makers. wanted to fight stereotypes with colours and genders. They wanted to convince kids that girls can like blue and that boys can like pink, and show that the statement ''girls aren't allowed to like blue and boys aren't allowed to like pink'' isn't true. But yes I thought Blue was the boy and  Magenta the girl at first too.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
They were fooling us  :anger  Blue's Clues was one of my favourites in my (early) childhood.
Inactive, probably forever.